• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are "monkey coffins" exactly and what are "better" designs/alternatives?

OP
Fetch_Execute_Break
Shall we next speak to the OP of the so-called... Kabuki loudspeakers?
;)

View attachment 107592
View attachment 107593
View attachment 107594
View attachment 107595
View attachment 107608
(even Yamaha?!?!)

... or am I being too culturally insensitive?

Looks like some designers wanted some standalone ghetto blaster loudspeakers.
There can't be any hifi rack out there that fits in terms of design.

They look ugly as hell but...I am somewhat sure that some of them sound/sounded not that bad.

I would like to thank you all folks for answering my question(s). Learned a lot about loudspeaker designs.
Should the day come and I will build my DIY loudspeaker I will name it "Peter's Nightmare".

The forums here seem very nice, I will stay.

Last edited:
OP
Fetch_Execute_Break
I would complain about the tweeter. ;)

What is wrong with the tweeter? Any good introduction about tweeters or types of loudspeakers (woven, "metal" and so on) you can recommend?
Still new to the whole audio topic.

I already know that there a different tweeter types like Plasma, Magnetic or Ribbon, but don't know their characteristics.

OP
Fetch_Execute_Break
Say what you will about Peter (and many had a lot to say), he knew the ins and outs of loudspeakers, being associated in one way or another with Rectilinear, Ohm, Fourier. Loudspeaker gurus he looked up to included Richard Heyser, Don Keele, and Floyd Toole.

His loudspeaker reviews were always 'grounded'. But, all things being equal (which they never really are), he didn't 'like' the box. He saw it as both a price point and sometimes necessary engineering compromise. Quad, Dahlquist, Beveridge, Linkwitz, each in their turn, were some of his preferences.

A box he admired was the erstwhile Canadian Waveform, which was more of an egg shape in its last version.

Before he left the planet the Linkwitz open baffle design was his choice of choices.

The first review of a product I spotted by Peter was about Linkwitz loudspeakers.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
What is wrong with the tweeter? Any good introduction about tweeters or types of loudspeakers (woven, "metal" and so on) you can recommend?
Still new to the whole audio topic.

I already know that there a different tweeter types like Plasma, Magnetic or Ribbon, but don't know their characteristics.

Was a joke, if iam inside this 'coffin' the tweeter goes in the wrong direction. They are usually closed back. ;)

Sry, thats somethink you could fill probably books with. I can only give you my humble opinion, and i think that good old 'cheap' dome tweeters can perform very well. For hifi use.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Looks like some designers wanted some standalone ghetto blaster loudspeakers.
There can't be any hifi rack out there that fits in terms of design.

They look ugly as hell but...I am somewhat sure that some of them sound/sounded not that bad.

I would like to thank you all folks for answering my question(s). Learned a lot about loudspeaker designs.
Should the day come and I will build my DIY loudspeaker I will name it "Peter's Nightmare".

The forums here seem very nice, I will stay.
Yes its usually a nice forum. If you would have a littel more experience in speaker design, you would see imediatly that this speakers cant sound good. But they could go loud. So they are not the audiophile wet dream, more the audiophile horror.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah, shocking to see the creator of the magnificent NS-1000M among those!!!
Yeah, huh?
Says more about their regard for ... umm... certain markets than it does about the company in general.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, OK...
The Japanese, for many years, didn't share their good loudspeakers with the US market.

Pioneer, e.g., gave us these:

1700098851128.png

but not these:

1700098917274.jpeg

;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think that the Pioneer/"Exclusive" loudspeaker image could be considered a TAD product -- the woofers look TAD-esque. But still, from the same parent company that brought us the HPM-100. ;)

Actually, and in fairness, the second (or third) "generation" of Pioneer HPM loudspeakers also had woofers, at least, that were very much like the JBL-esque early TAD woofers.

This is the woofer from an HPM-1100 that I refoamed many years back.

vs. a TAD 15" (AlNiCo) (EDIT - actually this one looks like it has a ceramic magnet?) woofer. Same basket, if nothing else. ;)

1700140459746.jpeg

(from https://audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/tl-1601a.html)
Paper cone rather than the weird paper/graphite/plastic cone of the HPM-1100 woofer, and accordion vs. foam surround.

1700140375386.png

(random internet image)
The earlier image of the big Exclusive monitor was, of course, from

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the Pioneer/"Exclusive" loudspeaker image could be considered a TAD product -- the woofers look TAD-esque. But still, from the same parent company that brought us the HPM-100. ;)

Actually, and in fairness, the second (or third) "generation" of Pioneer HPM loudspeakers also had woofers, at least, that were very much like the JBL-esque early TAD woofers.

This is the woofer from an HPM-1100 that I refoamed many years back.

vs. a TAD 15" (AlNiCo) (EDIT - actually this one looks like it has a ceramic magnet?) woofer. Same basket, if nothing else. ;)

View attachment 326597
(from https://audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/tl-1601a.html)
Paper cone rather than the weird paper/graphite/plastic cone of the HPM-1100 woofer, and accordion vs. foam surround.

View attachment 326596
(random internet image)
The earlier image of the big Exclusive monitor was, of course, from
Yes, and TAD was more than "influenced" by JBL and Altec. Bart Locanthi consulted for TAD for years.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It may have been true in his time, but I think material and acoustic improvements since have solved the issue, or at least given the opportunity of solving the issue to manufacturers who care.
Yes, a lot of "monket coffins" have been reviewed here and measure extremely well. It was a matter of the ignorant blaming the dog.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, and TAD was more than "influenced" by JBL and Altec. Bart Locanthi consulted for TAD for years.

And, of course, Locanthi also worked for Pioneer and was responsible for the original HPM line. :)

JBL L100 -> Pioneer HPM-100. :):cool:

Sort of reminds me of two interrelated moniker stories.
Thomas Watson worked for NCR (National Cash Register) before moving to another little company called C-T-R. When he eventually renamed the company, he decided to one up NCR in name in every respect.

National -> International
Cash Register -> Business Machines

I believe I heard this story on APM's Marketplace, but I cannot document it at the moment.
wait, check that -- https://www.dvorak.org/blog/ibm-and-the-seven-dwarfs-dwarf-seven-ncr/

The almost ironically intimately related other story: In 2001, Clarke or Kubrick may have adapted the HAL 9000 computer's name from a-then big computer company's name.

I -> H
B -> A
M -> L

IBM minus one letter position (each) = HAL.
Of course, HAL was written to be an algorithm ("Heuristically Programmed ALgorithm, no less") in the book version of the 'story'.
:cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More TAD trivia. The TH-4003 horn shown below was derived very closely from Don Keele's work improving radial horns. Recent JBL horns follow a similar design.

TAD 2404.jpg

Top Bottom