• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

Katji

Major Contributor
Can we Aussies be separated out from Oceania?
? :) The only way I can respond without causing reactions that I'm not in the mood for... "it is what is" - just "continent location." What about Asia, not even a distinction between North and South.

simoon

I just joined!

Not sure what tool me so long, I am a member of a couple of other audio forums.

Looking forward to spending some time, and learning here. I have a decent knowledge of electronics and speaker design, so, my home system is comprised of some modified vintage, DIY, and new gear.

threni

Major Contributor
? :) The only way I can respond without causing reactions that I'm not in the mood for... "it is what is" - just "continent location." What about Asia, not even a distinction between North and South.

Oceania had always been at war with Australia.

Katji

Major Contributor
A new member that couldn't be furthest away from Oceania... I'm from Slovenia and I'm extremely grateful to have found this forum. Keep on busting myths!!
:) Welcome here. Feel free to post photos. :) There are many tourist type of pics, but individual or personal photos are often more interesting. Like I have photos [from a friend] taken in the big park in Lj (kids tobogganing), and close-ups of architecture detail...villages...their yard with university property behind it... :)

ATR_Hugo

Well, I've been lurking but need to step out of the shadows. I stumbled on this forum while pursuing an upgrade to a craptacular Bluetooth receiver I was using. The 'big sick' hit (what COVID-19 is to the youngest grandkids) and I started redoing audio. Speakers (ancient Infinitys and a Yamaha sub, along with a homemade 120 Hz electronic crossover that divided the sub and main speakers) were replaced, an old Thorens turntable (which made more noise than music) was replaced, and the 1Mii B06+ Bluetooth receiver was replaced. I kept a Yamaha DVD/CD player and a Yamaha AX-592 amp. I also disconnected and sentenced to the dungeon/elephant graveyard one Denon Cassette deck (yikes I'm old).

Now there's a Topping D50s DAC, with a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro/Raspberry Pi 3/Volumio streamer, a Fluance turntable (which isn't noisy or excessively wobbly) with a Supex MM-100 cartridge, an outlet special SVS SB12 NSD sub, and open box cheapo Kef Q150s. The AX-592 does pre-out main-in so the sub gets pre-out and then sends 80 Hz and above to main-in which is sent to the Kefs. Room is small (12 ft x 14 ft x 8 ft) and houses about 1,000 books so plenty of diffusion. Oh and for grins I use a Hafler circuit with a pair of Realistic Minimus 7s.

Next up is since I got rid of an old Dell box running Ubuntu I need to create another Pi device running Ubuntu with a HiFi Berry Dac+ ADC Pro so I digitize vinyl.

So, who wants to talk about cables? ; -)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm from Slovenia and I'm extremely grateful to have found this forum. Keep on busting myths!!
If you know Slavoj Zizek, please ask him what he thinks about our particular obsession, measurements and so forth:p (In a country of just 2 million you must be neighbors, or take the bus together or something like that.)

wired

Hello friends!

I’ve been lurking around this forum for a while now, but I only just registered today,
because I wanted to ask Amir if he wants to measure my BTR5 :)

Really appreciate the objectivity of the people here!

I only started seriously caring about audio about a year ago. Bought the 6XX, a Schiit Hel, and started doing some comparisons, but I could not, for the life of me, pick up differences between (good) sources. I decided to dig a little deeper, got a Loki/Magni3+, then a CTH, then a BTR5. Used them with the 6XX, the DT 770 PRO 250, then the Sundara (great HP).

I’ve done some scrappy blind tests to confirm that I’m not crazy, but basically my current POV is that as long as you have a decent source (ie not a butchered 64kbps mp3), comfort can make a bigger difference in sound, since comfort => pleasure, and I find that comfort levels affect how I perceive sound. The best personal anecdote I have is the Meze 99 Noir, which I originally loved to listen to, but after wearing them for a while my head would hurt and I didn’t like the sound anymore. Derp.

So I now focus on comfort, practicality, and a reasonable audio quality baseline, and if/when I forget, I do another quick A/B test to remind myself that my brain is stupid.

Nice to meet you all!
Alex

PS: it may be nice to pin this thread, and add some additional keywords to its title (introduction, welcome) so it is easier to find :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello friends!

I’ve been lurking around this forum for a while now, but I only just registered today,
because I wanted to ask Amir if he wants to measure my BTR5 :)

Really appreciate the objectivity of the people here!

I only started seriously caring about audio about a year ago. Bought the 6XX, a Schiit Hel, and started doing some comparisons, but I could not, for the life of me, pick up differences between (good) sources. I decided to dig a little deeper, got a Loki/Magni3+, then a CTH, then a BTR5. Used them with the 6XX, the DT 770 PRO 250, then the Sundara (great HP).

I’ve done some scrappy blind tests to confirm that I’m not crazy, but basically my current POV is that as long as you have a decent source (ie not a butchered 64kbps mp3), comfort can make a bigger difference in sound, since comfort => pleasure, and I find that comfort levels affect how I perceive sound. The best personal anecdote I have is the Meze 99 Noir, which I originally loved to listen to, but after wearing them for a while my head would hurt and I didn’t like the sound anymore. Derp.

So I now focus on comfort, practicality, and a reasonable audio quality baseline, and if/when I forget, I do another quick A/B test to remind myself that my brain is stupid.

Nice to meet you all!
Alex

PS: it may be nice to pin this thread, and add some additional keywords to its title (introduction, welcome) so it is easier to find :)
Welcome Aboard @wired.

AdamG

Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Last edited:

sounds_et_al

Hello ASR,

Guitarist/audiophile here from the US. Recently decided to get into records and my research led me here. What a pleasant surprise! Particularly interested in learning more/discussing speakers and headphones. Cheers!

~Aaron

Kalessin

Forum Donor
Hi!

Attempting to research and make sense of the past decade of developments in low-cost desktop audio brought me here. I've kind of been in a cave for the past ten years, working hard on other things. There's an enormous amount of subjective review and comment out there, but little in the way of data and comparison except for ASR.

Amir's amplifier reviews led me directly to buying an Aiyima A07, and it's a fabulous little amplifier.

My audio background includes a lot of vintage equipment owned on and off since the 1980s (though almost all was sold off at swapmeets when I lost storage), and some sound reinforcement for bands and theater performance. I live near Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

- Joel

mjh

Hello! I joined recently after lurking on the site for months.

I'm from the US, but now living in Japan.

This site is fascinating and very helpful. I've been an audio enthusiast for decades, but ASR is a breath of fresh air.

I recently bought a pair of the JBL Stage A130s for my upstairs system and have been very impressed. Just 19,000 yen (~$175) shipped here in Japan.

And I have a Topping E30 in my other system, connected to a Pioneer transport and a Raspberry Pi.

Many thanks, Amir!

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
1620341807227.png

JSmith

Top Bottom