• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

sabbot

Hi ASR!

"New" guy here. But actually I've been lurking around for probably years in a kind of on/off relationship, whenever I needed my audio science review fix. :D I don't remember what led me here the first time, probably it was one of the earlier SMSL or Topping reviews when I was researching DACs on my shortlist. But ever since I've been stuck here reading up on the audio science. This time Im pondering on a more individual topic and looking for solutions.

Many thanks to Amir and the community!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hi ASR!

"New" guy here. But actually I've been lurking around for probably years in a kind of on/off relationship, whenever I needed my audio science review fix. :D I don't remember what led me here the first time, probably it was one of the earlier SMSL or Topping reviews when I was researching DACs on my shortlist. But ever since I've been stuck here reading up on the audio science. This time Im pondering on a more individual topic and looking for solutions.

Many thanks to Amir and the community!
Welcome Aboard @sabbot.

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
Good evening everyone.
Following my recent posts, I will take the time to introduce myself correctly.
Like Obelix and the Magic Potion, I fell into HiFi in the 60s.
My dad introduced me to Filson tube amps, electrostatics speakers, and a Revox tape recorder.
It was our common passion.
In the 70s, we changed apartments and channels with a SANSUI amp and amplified speakers… .3A…. That my father and I had retained.
A marvel of technique that still exists, and that my mother uses more as a piece of furniture. WAF, WAF I told her recently ...
In the 80s, and after my engineering studies, my first personal installation that I still use.
Almost 50 years after 3A… .I became a Genelec fan boy… Normal.
As a bi national, Frenh Swiss, with European origins (Italy, Great Britain), having lived in Belgium and Africa and having visited most of the continents (except South America), I am very happy to share this passion with you.
Again, thank you to Amir and to all of you

Jammin72

Greets folks. Tried signing up for the forum a few years ago via the Audio Science thread on another forum and never really got it going for whatever reason. I've been involved in audio for a number of years, being a musician in my school years, working in home audio and recording retail, being a recording hobbyist, and in general loving and learning about much of the experience on the encoding and decoding side of things. I'm excited about this forum simply because objectivity and subjectivity are blended in great and promising ways. We're dealing with both science and more subjective human experience in this field and it's good to see the former getting some of the props it deserves.

andyxx

Hi all, I'm Andrea, from Italy.
I've received a nice Gustard X-26 PRO four days ago and I've got two Genelec 8050a active speakers and a couple of Aliante Moda Pininfarina speakers powered by various power amps...I'm here because I love this forum and the technical approach used (I work in IT and really appreciate that).
Now, I would like to improve my chain with a nice diy streamer/digital transport (raspberry based, I think) and, later, an external clock for the Gustard...but about my doubts, I will post about them in relative channels!:) kind regards, A.

Fenix84

Just a little about me.

Been into music for along time (playing and listening) but don't consider myself an audiophile. I have entry level audio gear (Sennheiser 599s, Audioengine A2+, Audioengine D1) and have entertained to idea of upgrading which brought me here.

Recently purchased an Hidizs 9 and Fiio FH3 but have yet to receive them. The FH3s will be replacing my $20 skull candys purchased half a decade ago before a flight so I'm really looking forward to them.

I'll continue reading, learning and hopefully one day be able to contribute.

VanO

Hi folks, new member here! I’m Van Overbay and I’m in Chattanooga, TN.

I’m really enjoying the ASR videos and forums. I’m very much a skeptic, critical thinker and proponent of the scientific process. Over the years most of my hi-fi systems were in my car starting with my first vehicle a ‘78 Ford Fiesta.

Around 1983 I had a Kenwood component system in the Fiesta powered by a Pioneer GM-120 amp. I built a 3/4” plywood sealed cabinet for the rear hatch and mounted 3-way Pioneer 6x9s in it. I had Alpine tweeters and mids in the doors. That little car rocked. It met its end taking out a cow fence on Hog Hollow Rd.

My last car system was the stock Harmon Kardon system in a BMW 330ci with two Kicker 12” subs in a custom cabinet in the trunk powered by a Kicker KX550.2 amp. That was a cool car until I hit a deer.

All through my college years my home system was a Yamaha PC-8 with a Pioneer turntable. That was in the late ‘80s and I just now getting back into putting together a home system.

Right now I’m putting together a coffee table setup. I have a Zen Signature DAC, Aiyima Tube-A3 preamp, Aiyima A07 amp (came with 32v 5a power supply and I have a 48v 7.5 power supply on on order). I have Dali Spektor 2s ordered that will be here Tuesday. Right now I have Spektor 1s on Kanto SP6HD stands and a Acoustic Audio PSW-6 subwoofer. I’ve got some different tubes and a couple of OPA1656 chips I’m going to try out in the preamp and amp.

My speakers are 36” apart and my LP is 36” away. I like the Spektor 1s toed out about 5-10 degrees. The 6.5” sub is pretty cool. It’s downward firing with a bottom slotted port. I have it on a wooden platform under the table. I like to tinker with things a little so over the next couple of days I’m experimenting with sealing the port and stuffing the cabinet with poly-fil.

I’m using Mediabridge 12AWG Ultra Series speaker wires and Worlds Best Cables Gotham RCA cables. Both of these seem to be very good quality at a decent price. The WBC cables have handy sizes available too like 6”, 12”, and 18”. I also have a Furman PL-8C power conditioner that my entire system (including my Mac Pro) is powered through. Everything is dead silent with this setup.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the technical aspects of electronics but I’m learning as I go. My background is an ad agency art and creative director. Now I run my own business and design board games. If you google my name I’m easy to find and you’ll see my latest game SeaRovers that was funded on Kickstarter a few months ago.

Enough rambling lol. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to interacting with and learning from some of you fine folks!

VanO

Whoa, in a Fiesta... how fast? :D

JSmith
Haha. It was the BMW 330ci that I hit the deer in going 85mph at 3am on the Interstate through DC. Luckily BMWs have that blunt front end or it would have came through my windshield. It was a big buck and launched like football kickoff. Lucky too my airbag sensor had gone out just a couple of weeks earlier and I hadn’t had it fixed yet. The front end smashed pretty hard and bent the frame. The hood bowed up like an A-frame house roof lol.

Attachments

• 062C4F81-7CA6-435B-ACBB-E11C58867E25.jpeg
    062C4F81-7CA6-435B-ACBB-E11C58867E25.jpeg
    652.3 KB · Views: 95

Trif

Greetings, fellow sufferers. My name is Trifina. I'm trying to give up tubes.

I came across this site while researching DACs a few years ago. Now, you guys have me interested in JBLs, again. Thought I'd sign up and perhaps share at least some memories, if not expertise. I built my first Hafler in 1961 and my first loudspeaker was a Lafayette 10" coaxial in an open backed cabinet. :)

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Greetings, fellow sufferers. My name is Trifina. I'm trying to give up tubes.

I came across this site while researching DACs a few years ago. Now, you guys have me interested in JBLs, again. Thought I'd sign up and perhaps share at least some memories, if not expertise. I built my first Hafler in 1961 and my first loudspeaker was a Lafayette 10" coaxial in an open backed cabinet. :)
Welcome Aboard @Trif.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hhhmm, I don't think I ever introduced myself either. G'day I'm from south-west Victoria. Close enough to the Great Ocean Road. Love playing music, making music and I reckon I've been a rabid non-mainstream listener since I can remember. Regarding audio equipment I tend to be utterly loyal to what works and its only due to ASR that I've purchased anything. I have unsubscribed to all supposed 'audio' channels on Ytube on the day ASR appeared. Thank you exposing audio truth :).

Paianis

Hi all, I'm a 24-year-old from the south of England, UK. I found this forum a couple of years ago. I can't say my mind has changed much on audio matters since, I never invested much in dubiously premium products and I left the vinyl scene before it really started getting cool. The first investment inspired by this forum has been a Geshelli Labs Archel 2 GMR headphone amp, which I like a lot. If the time is right to spend again it'll either be on a J2 DAC or a pair of HD600's (currently using Sony MDR-7506's).

Lately I've become an avid supporter of audio CDs (CD-DA), mainly because they are the only mainstream format for lossless digital audio that retains some value after purchase, but also that the core system is probably the simplest of all the computer-based formats (quite power efficient as well), and reading liner notes and lyrics from a booklet is a more serene experience than reading them off of a computer screen.

Top Bottom