• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Was a DAC with WM8742 tested in Audio Science?

skyfly

Was a DAC with Wolfson WM8742 DAC chip tested in Audio Science?

tjf

Not sure if the current Cambridge DAC's still use the wolfson 8740/41/42 series, but at one time they did...check the ASR reviews of the Cambrige DAC 100 and Dac Magic units...

Won't be a popular opinion here but I've often "subjectively" liked the sound of outboard Dac's or CD Players (i.e.- later versions of the Rega Planet), that use the wolfson devices...but again, the opinion won't be of much value on this forum...

Apologies in advance to all who have been offended by reading this opinion...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I've ever seen the chip itself measured there or anywhere else, probably just not all that important unless you have some scenario where it's something to consider....

solderdude

Grand Contributor
More often than not it's not so much about the DAC chip used but more of a question how it is used/implemented.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Not sure if the current Cambridge DAC's still use the wolfson 8740/41/42 series, but at one time they did...check the ASR reviews of the Cambrige DAC 100 and Dac Magic units...

Won't be a popular opinion here but I've often "subjectively" liked the sound of outboard Dac's or CD Players (i.e.- later versions of the Rega Planet), that use the wolfson devices...but again, the opinion won't be of much value on this forum...

Apologies in advance to all who have been offended by reading this opinion...
The Wolfson 8741 and 8742 are very good sounding . I have the Rega dac R with 8742 and I have heard the Linn klimax DS with 8741. Both sounds awesome.

Top Bottom