• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Audio Advertising

Katji

Major Contributor
^^Good scarecrow. Quite scarey. ...I'd walk faster, thinking of what other weird stuff the locals might be into.

So many hi-fi brands I don't know... (Because of colonial stuff.) Westinghouse, associated in my mind with airconditioners. So I googled it - very interesting. Railway air brakes! And even electric chairs - which I read about just a few days ago. Very interesting, how they tried different voltages and so on. [I think they tested with measurements, but not scream loudness or emotional intensity.]

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From the attic (literally). Chanced upon an old Oregonian (from Portland, Oregon) newspaper dated June 14, 1931. Height of the Great Depression. Here are ads for radios in the classifieds. Little slice of history. Echophone radio? Stewart-Warner? Sparton? Interesting company names from back then. Another classified is advertising "new nationally known radio tubes, speakers, etc." (For ASR folk in the Portland area, that same 14JUN31 newspaper had a front-page splash showing the grand opening of the St. Johns Bridge, built for $4 million.) As a bonus, I also scanned a picture of some movies being advertised at the time. Note the "Maltese Falcon" movie with Bebe Daniels and Ricardo Cortez. Never knew there was a Maltese Falcon that predated Bogie, but apparently for good reason. When the 1931 movie was sold to be broadcast on television in the 1950s it was retitled "Dangerous Female" so as not to be confused with the classic Bogart 1941 movie. ASR members raised in Portland may also get a kick out of some of the old movie houses, and even remember them before they closed, like the Blue Mouse, the Music Box, the Columbia, and The Oriental "where the sound is better." Only 15¢ to get in!

1650745211781.png

1650746191404.png

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Sorry for the bad links in the other post. Here are the ones from Playboy.
Google photo images just don't cross post.
IMG_20220421_050312.jpg

IMG_20220421_050616.jpg

IMG_20220421_052723.jpg

IMG_20220421_053032.jpg

Photos Taken from 50th Anniversary issue.
Around year 2004

These should upload properly

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Dynamically-balanced arms (i.e., those using a spring instead of a counterweight to set tracking force) are (usually) happy to play at most any angle, including upside down -- nothing new there, although it's still a great party trick.

Empire:

DUAL:

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Apparently a radio-phonograph combination was all the rage in the 1930s...
"Installation if desired, $4.96"? Was the consumer required to manually install the nine tubes or something?

1650989185771.png

EDIT/NOTE: For reference, the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Inflation Calculator indicates that $64.50 price from the 1930s is approximately $1300 in today's dollars.

Last edited:
OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Day after day, I check these ads for lyrical snake-oil stories and bullshit-baffles-brains pseudo-science. I would've said <10% of what we see nowadays, but now I'm changing that to <5%.
That is a fascinating insight... and makes me question modern social norms as much as modern audio advertising.

Neddy

Huh. As a kid, I used to walk to school via Arch St in Philly, which was where all the 'Used & New' audio and electronics/parts/surplus stores were (as well as skid row). Almost all where 'staffed' by little old guys (to my thinking) all bent over, smoking cigars with smoky/thick accents hawking whatever they happened to have - cheap. Later in the 60s more military stuff started to show up.
A veritable wonderland of mysterious electronics and audio stuff - from WWII tank parts to bomber gun perspex domes...which seemed common for some reason at the time?
I did end up with a good selection of Fisher tube tuner and amps as my 'first stereo' kits - some of which needed minor repairs, and then led to several heathkits.
All these older ads remind me of those days of 'sales and bums' (I did learn to get good at the 'bum rush' tho).
Also not far from the last remaininig Horn & Hardart automat, which I t hought of as 'the robot diner' !
Cool old stuff - when 'sales guys' were under every counter. :)

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Huh. As a kid, I used to walk to school via Arch St in Philly, which was where all the 'Used & New' audio and electronics/parts/surplus stores were (as well as skid row). Almost all where 'staffed' by little old guys (to my thinking) all bent over, smoking cigars with smoky/thick accents hawking whatever they happened to have - cheap. Later in the 60s more military stuff started to show up.
A veritable wonderland of mysterious electronics and audio stuff - from WWII tank parts to bomber gun perspex domes...which seemed common for some reason at the time?
I did end up with a good selection of Fisher tube tuner and amps as my 'first stereo' kits - some of which needed minor repairs, and then led to several heathkits.
All these older ads remind me of those days of 'sales and bums' (I did learn to get good at the 'bum rush' tho).
Also not far from the last remaininig Horn & Hardart automat, which I t hought of as 'the robot diner' !
Cool old stuff - when 'sales guys' were under every counter. :)
The Automat was said to be the Wet dream of automats by Siskel and ebert. Not sure about that.
1651180299182.jpeg

2zu2nlfdvtr5.png

17%20(292).jpg

Dark-City-4.jpg

Automat07.jpg

Vs.
the-automat.jpg

automat-grand-central-1.0.0.jpg

StollwerckAutomatenrestaurant1896.jpg

automat-getty-images-597919051-1920.jpg

theautomat-crowd-1.jpg

6648420107_ee37ab7c94_o-600x393.jpg

I don't think I could even get this at whole Foods. I have not seen a pie look like this since I made one from scratch almost 16 years ago.
bdcdc889c33965a6b79f6b4ab37c35c9.jpg

DANGER DANGER! They are smoking and sitting next to each other having a good time! Oh the HORROR!

1-2-1024x446.jpg

To keep this somewhat on track,

(1935): AEG Debuts Magnetophon Commercial Audio Tape Recorder With Low-Cost Magnetic Tape​

AEGMagnetophon1931.jpg

National Geographic caption: "This 1916 image of Frances Densmore and Blackfoot leader Mountain Chief listening to a cylinder recording has become a symbol of the early songcatcher era."
1651182770553.png

vinyl-booth-history%2B%25283%2529.jpg

vinyl-booth-history%2B%25284%2529.jpg

vinyl-booth-history%2B%25285%2529.jpg

MySpace. Circa 1955
vinyl-booth-history%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Links to all photos on first hotlink and article and others on webpage.

history-1.jpg

s-l300.jpg
vinAd79JBL1.jpg

JBL100-ad-web.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

a81cec65cbf2d2181e5a67080d2ed961--vintage-ads-speakers.jpg

The_Ford__JBL_Audio_System__Print_Ads_4f6f6f5f-99a5-49db-b930-b70f4e7f5196.jpg

5666239_y0o5xnxk.jpg

jbl_prima.jpg

vintage-1972-jbl-l100-century-speaker_1_9f0eed32b1fb13ff8f0040e0cc0a04bc.jpg

1eb6cd1c699b14adb485e4c2a439dd1f.jpg

Jensen-1988-Folder-Game_01aam.jpg

infinity.jpg

6376c123897b1c5016c20c5b00293cfa.jpg

infinity1.jpg

ff468a2e2c9f5f3e4e984a5ae71888c5.jpg

Neddy

Well done!
I could swear the automat I visited in Philly was actually black and white (and chrome) complete with fedoras suits and skinny ties :)
My JBL L25s look exactly like the ad photos, cost about half that (in todays dollars!) and work beautifully (woofers redone 5 yrs ago).
Nice ads!!

Robin L

Master Contributor

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Damn what some are silly, but wonderfully silly I must say....he he. :)

Tip:
Watch the video, the commercial that begins: 11:40
But come on, what's that? :)

Okay. Did some Digging. I wanted to buy the Owl Costume. But you can't anymore. Not the old one.
For some reason? They wanted you to Burn the old Owl Costumes back in 2007 with an official forest service ranger present while setting it on fire to the point where it is unrecognizable.

There is actually a US code concerning this:

There is one copy of the costume still present at the forestry service Museum it seems.

Even Wired did an article about it back in 2007. I don't know if this is some kind of joke but they said something about the costume being used for terrorist activity?

Its seems that the creator of the costume passed away at age 90 just recently.

You don't see PSA's like this that often. And even thought they seem really dumb or korny, they sure got the message across to Children and adults alike.

Story about Woodsy the Owl.

Thing is? I never heard of this fellow:
Johnny_horizon.jpg

apparently, Parker Brothers actually made a board game out of this but the board game was some kind of chemistry set.
Ad_BoysLifeNov1972.jpg

And there seems to be an LP made by the department of Interior? (Land Management?)
jho.jpg

So after doing some more digging around? Wouldn't you know it! BLM oregon....
OMG. I LOVE being an Oregon DUCK!

You just don't see things like this anymore. Kudos the Bureau of Land Management for still doing really cool stuff like this. Its keeps the spirit alive of the old times.

About Smokey however... Sad days..

DanielT

Major Contributor
Okay. Did some Digging. I wanted to buy the Owl Costume. But you can't anymore. Not the old one.
For some reason? They wanted you to Burn the old Owl Costumes back in 2007 with an official forest service ranger present while setting it on fire to the point where it is unrecognizable.

There is actually a US code concerning this:

There is one copy of the costume still present at the forestry service Museum it seems.

Even Wired did an article about it back in 2007. I don't know if this is some kind of joke but they said something about the costume being used for terrorist activity?

Its seems that the creator of the costume passed away at age 90 just recently.

You don't see PSA's like this that often. And even thought they seem really dumb or korny, they sure got the message across to Children and adults alike.

Story about Woodsy the Owl.

Thing is? I never heard of this fellow:
Johnny_horizon.jpg

apparently, Parker Brothers actually made a board game out of this but the board game was some kind of chemistry set.
Ad_BoysLifeNov1972.jpg

And there seems to be an LP made by the department of Interior? (Land Management?)
jho.jpg

So after doing some more digging around? Wouldn't you know it! BLM oregon....
OMG. I LOVE being an Oregon DUCK!

You just don't see things like this anymore. Kudos the Bureau of Land Management for still doing really cool stuff like this. Its keeps the spirit alive of the old times.

About Smokey however... Sad days..
That thing with the owl seems to be a US thing. 27:10 in the video. That in itself had nothing to do with HiFi but concerns environmental degradation, littering in general, if I understood correctly?

Feel free to check out the "HiFi" commercial before at 26:40 ..lol ..:)

Top Bottom