• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vertical mouse. Who has found a good one?

MaxRockbin

I use the Logitech MX Ergo. It's not vertical, but has a tilt plate that lifts it about 20*. You could wedge it to increase the angle but I find 20* is about perfect. I also find the thumb trackball is more ergonomic than a mouse you move around. Finally, using an 87-key keyboard helps, as removing the numpad brings the mouse closer in which is more ergonomic.
I also have the MX Ergo Trackball - which I got to relieve wrist pain. It does help, though you may find you need some kind of pad to bring your wrist to the most comfortable height as I do. I would like it if it tilted more than 20 degrees (it's a plate that toggles flat/20 at the bottom) . Also the ball does not roll super smoothly. There's a little button you need to press to make more precise selections. I replaced the ball with one that was supposed to be a little heavier but it didn't make much difference. It also needs to be cleaned fairly often to keep rolling smoothly. Personally I would have gone for the larger finger control type balls (kensington) except I like having more programmable buttons. I will say also that there is some trade off of wrist pain from overuse vs thumb pain from overuse. But it isn't as bad.

yossarian

I have two clones of the Anker and they are great. Third clone I have is terrible because it is slippery. No idea how the Anker-branded one is.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Whenever I work a lot with the mouse, I switch from the Apple to this mouse.
It is very relaxing.
Vertical Mouse

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
though you may find you need some kind of pad to bring your wrist to the most comfortable height as I do
Wrist pads in front of the keyboard and mouse completely solved my problems, cheap and nothing to retain myself with.

KSTR

Major Contributor
While not truly a vertical mouse but still quite ergonomic, I love my Logitech MX Master for it's special flywheel action on the mouse wheel which really is important to me. Logitech's own vertical mouse sadly doesn't have the flywheel, nor does any other make/model I'm aware of.

simbloke

Forum Donor
For me the problem was not the mouse itself, it was the position.

I made a sliding shelf below my desk-top for the keyboard and mouse. The lower height made my shoulders more relaxed.

Also a tenkeyless keyboard is narrower so the mouse is closer also resulted in less strain.

Most of my colleagues just don't seem bothered by any of the things that made me do this, or maybe just not yet!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've looked into vertical mice before, but all I've ever found were very basic, lacking extra programmable buttons.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I've been using a basic Trackman Marble USB for a while... pretty decent little trackball. Not always as precise as a conventional mouse but I'll take that over wrist pain any day of the week. Requires regular de-gunking of the ball bearings, and lack of a scroll wheel can be a pain in some applications (Amazon Music, I'm looking at you).

Speaking of absolutely stupid design, there is absolutely nothing ergonomic whatsoever about the placement of the scroll wheel on a mouse. Can I get one down by my thumb or something please? I swear this was being discussed online a decade ago, yet no manufacturer has done anything about this nonsense. A bunch of designs just basically copied the Evolution vertical mice, but nobody ever thought to take it further.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I didn't know I had a deficiently designed mouse nor a twisted arm from using it them 1984 so maybe I've evolved to match it or something.

I tried to imagine what a "vertical mouse" might actually be before looking at examples.

I failed.

So then I looked at how I hold my mouse:

My wrist isn't "flat" like in the pictures, but more like at a 45 degree angle, The edge of my hand rests on the pad, the base of my thumb about an in off the pad.

I'll assume I'm good.

Hmmm...

Are there vertical keyboards, to resolve the same sort of imagined defliction?

YES!

Music1969

Major Contributor
You might also consider a pen tablet.

I might give this a try. Which model?

Can it be used for general mouse duties or do you mean it replaced a mouse for just your graphics work specifically?

I see "Wacom One by Wacom (Small)" is cheap to try

Music1969

Major Contributor
Another method I found useful to reduce over use of one hand, is get both a left and right handed Evoluent.

Both are always plugged in, but I swap left and right mouse every hour or two.

Share the load

JSmith

Master Contributor
I go oldskool;

1626308610964.png

JSmith

dasdoing

Major Contributor
You might also consider a pen tablet. I use a tablet on my left hand, and a trackpad on my right (I’m left handed). I’m a graphic designer and this setup completely eliminated my chronic wrist pain from mousing.

View attachment 141066

I agree. a graphic tablet is the most ergonomic and also the fastest since you always get the same pixle at the same place.
atm I am using a logitech mx master 3 though (wacom conector problematic). Great mouse, not vertical though

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
I've looked into vertical mice before, but all I've ever found were very basic, lacking extra programmable buttons.

I've used a wired Evoluent for years for gaming. (I tried the wireless one but it seemed to have awful latency and ate batteries.) I think they're great.

Button 5 and 6 below are the extra programmable buttons. A long thin thumb button above and below the notch where your thumb rests. The "custom function" option is to record a macro for any of the buttons.

I use a Razer Tantarus V2 keypad for most gaming controls.

1626313244867.png

Zensō

Major Contributor
I might give this a try. Which model?

Can it be used for general mouse duties or do you mean it replaced a mouse for just your graphics work specifically?

I see "Wacom One by Wacom (Small)" is cheap to try
I’ve been using the medium sized Intuos Pro for many years. I use it for general navigation/mousing as well as for drawing (over the past few years I‘ve actually moved to doing more drawing on the iPad Pad Pro than the Mac). The trackpad on the right is mostly for MacOS swipes and gestures.

I don’t think the Wacom One is as accurate as the Intuos Pro, but it may be fine for general use. If you do try out a tablet, give yourself at least a week or two to get acclimated.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used a wired Evoluent for years for gaming. (I tried the wireless one but it seemed to have awful latency and ate batteries.) I think they're great.

Button 5 and 6 below are the extra programmable buttons. A long thin thumb button above and below the notch where your thumb rests. The "custom function" option is to record a macro for any of the buttons.

I use a Razer Tantarus V2 keypad for most gaming controls.

View attachment 141164

I'd need 2 to 3 times that like my current Roccat Nyth, a vertical equivalent of an "MMO" mouse, even though I use the buttons for basic OS shortcuts more than anything else.

Top Bottom