• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Versatile All In One Solution Recommendation - under $1k

kingbrayd

Hey All -

I am looking for a combination Dac/Amp with 4.4mm, 1/4, and XLR options (all 3 preferred, but must have balanced). It also needs to be able to pre-amp for speakers. I prefer it to have a screen. Looking for something with good staging and imaging as I game about 50% of the time.

Currently I am looking to upgrade from
  • Monolith Monoprice balanced Dac/Amp (The discontinued one) - I really like its form factor.
  • Element 3
Headphones I use:
  • 800s
  • 1990 Pro
  • LCDX
  • I also like to test a lot of headphones, so I need something versatile.
I use Peace or SoundID for EQ.

Looking under $1k, prefer closer to $600.

Currently considering something like the FIIO R7 (Love the look and price point) or Matrix Mini i 3 pro (don't love the price and having to buy off eBay) I am also looking at the HDV820. Hoping to buy something that will not be upgraded too quickly. I am open to separate dac/amp if the performance gains are worth it, but prefer an all in one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
K

kingbrayd

I've heard good things about the Hifiman EF800 that would check a lot of boxes here - any opinions?

Top Bottom