• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a Musical Fidelity Nuvistor Preamp/or an MF X-Pre100 as a headphone amp

Sam Spade

So I've tried to work this out myself, but I'm getting nowhere. And it might be a dumb question. My next stop will be a headphone forum, but this site is the pinnacle of realistic, evidence-based info and discussion on hifi. Full of very clever people. All flattery intended :) (and genuine)

I have two preamps, a Musical Fidelity X-Pre100 and the legendary MF Nuvista preamp. They are both awesome, but the Nuvista is next level. Feeding a Rotel RB1080 200wpc power amp driving some Dalisuite 3.5 towers. Possibly antique now, but I see a lot of live gigs and I when I listen at home never feel let down by this combo.

I'm also a headphone fan. Audeze LCD4, LCD3, LCDxc and LCDi3, Shure SE530, a Sparkos Aries/Chord Qutest combo, Musical Fidelity X-Cans, and a Burson Conductor 3x, and an AK SP1000m for portable use, AK70 for the gym and running.

So while I'm not short of amps to drive headphones, my questions are:
1) can I use the Nuvistor Pre to directly drive my headphones?
2) If yes, will I get a good result, or will it be a waste of time?

Note I've tried to chase up specs and work this out, but I studied biology, genetics and psychology at Uni, not physics, electronics and engineering. I'd love some more informed opinions. Plus I don't want to risk destroying the preamp or any headphones.

Cheers
Sam

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Likelihood is that the nuvistor preamp will not drive the headphones adequately. Reason is that the preamp will have a high output impedance (>1K) and the 'phones will be low impedance (<100 ohms) The preamp will be loaded down excessively causing distortion and maybe too little output power. You need to add a tiny (1 watt or less) power amplifier.

Top Bottom