• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB vs Coax input to DAC

dpdp

Hi, have an RME ADI2 DAC which is connected to my iMAC via USB. There is only one USB input socket on the DAC. I have added another source, an old Macbook, which I have connected to the DAC´s Coax input using a USB/SPDIF converter, an old HagUSB. Should that make any difference to the sound versus a straight USB connection? Would it be better to connect both computers to the USB input of the DAC via a USB switcher, or might that degrade the sound? The iMAC connection is the more important. Thanks

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, have an RME ADI2 DAC which is connected to my iMAC via USB. There is only one USB input socket on the DAC. I have added another source, an old Macbook, which I have connected to the DAC´s Coax input using a USB/SPDIF converter, an old HagUSB. Should that make any difference to the sound versus a straight USB connection?
No.

mansr

Major Contributor
By all indications, the RME DAC performs superbly with any input. Use whatever is most convenient. USB switchers are mainly used for keyboards and mice, so they might not support high-speed mode. That said, if you have one that works, it will not impact the sound.

OP
D

dpdp

Thanks, but in this case that is not an option, as the input is already used. I imagine it would be of equal quality.

Top Bottom