• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading my RV Sound System

Zaphrod Beeblebrox

Hi, Newb Here,

I am looking to accomplish two things which present some challenges for me:

1. Put together a low-budget tube-based system to allow enjoying vinyl recordings.
2. Install the system in the 38' RV trailer that I live in full-time.

Possible system configurations:
Turntable- Audio-Technica AP LP5X
Pre Amp - Fosi Audio Box X2
Amp - AIYIMA T9 Pro
Speakers - Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Challenges:
Very limited installation options
Heat dispersion?
Speaker placement

I have attached a pic of my "entertainment center". I've already installed 42" 4k tv.

The cabinet below the TV is really my only available space. I've already resigned myself to components sticking out farther than the cabinet doors and figure I will have to redesign the cabinet front.

Or... is this really unrealistic? Should I resign myself to the highest end small footprint solid-state devices and something like a Bose speaker setup?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Attachments

• 20231012_174455.jpg
    20231012_174455.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 43

MAB

Major Contributor
Is this to listen to a pre-existing vinyl collection? Or are you taking a fresh step into the format?
I ask, because I do have records and do listen to records, but that's because I have what I got as a kid and still have some that I don't find on Spotify, CD, etc.
Otherwise, if you are stepping into the vinyl craze now, I would say that's a ton of wasted money in a small space.
And tubes buy you nothing but heat, and rather low amounts of what they claim to add (harmonic distortion), plus often lots of noise and other sub-optimal issues. And just don't seem to be suited to your space, and really don't add any of the so-called benefits that are claimed, unless you spend tons of cash and get one of the handful of reasonably engineered tube products left on the market.
Have you read or heard those Elac?
I generally like Elac, but I haven't heard this model. Certainly there are tons of choices. Have you considered active speakers?
Apologies if I am contrarian. I am just a bit jaded with all of this tube and vinyl revival stuff going on these days.;)

OP
Z

Zaphrod Beeblebrox

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I guess I've been hearing the hype about how much warmer tube amps are, and seeing all these re-mastered albums makes me think I'm missing out on a vastly improved musical experience.

I still rue the day I took crates and crates of LPS to Goodwill, shortly after buying my first CD, thinking this new format was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now that I think about it though, listening to Sgt. Pepper's for the first time on LP when it first came out, with a few good friends, passing around the herb, on a distinctly low-fi stereo, remains one of my most memorable musical moments. So perhaps I shouldn't by into marketing hype so much.

Perhaps I'll just invest in a decent integrated amp and some decent speakers. And no, I haven't given the Elacs a listen - just perusing reviews.

I just now saw some good reviews on Polk Audio's Elite ES15s. Compared quite favorably to the Elacs, and their smaller size might work better for my situation.

Cheers

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I guess I've been hearing the hype about how much warmer tube amps are, and seeing all these re-mastered albums makes me think I'm missing out on a vastly improved musical experience.

I still rue the day I took crates and crates of LPS to Goodwill, shortly after buying my first CD, thinking this new format was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now that I think about it though, listening to Sgt. Pepper's for the first time on LP when it first came out, with a few good friends, passing around the herb, on a distinctly low-fi stereo, remains one of my most memorable musical moments. So perhaps I shouldn't by into marketing hype so much.

Perhaps I'll just invest in a decent integrated amp and some decent speakers. And no, I haven't given the Elacs a listen - just perusing reviews.

I just now saw some good reviews on Polk Audio's Elite ES15s. Compared quite favorably to the Elacs, and their smaller size might work better for my situation.

Cheers
Yeah, I still have the ones I listened to on my Technics turntable when I was in high school. The pops and groove noise are still in all the same places I remember. And I still love the cover art. It's nostalgic, but darn inconvenient. You are really not missing out. It is a fad, throwback to an era, without actually capturing some of the things that made that equipment and experience good back in the day.
For the money, your idea of integrated amp plus nice small speakers is great. There are so many really good ones.
You could also go active, like a small pair of self-powered speaker. JBL, Genelec, KEF are abvious ones there. One from IK Multimedia comes to mind:
It is narrow, and compact, which seems good. And has some basic EQ. A pair of active speakers like these plus a DAC with an optical from your TV, a USB connection to a laptop, and/or Bluetooth to a phone and you are in business. I haven't heard them, but I like the looks and they have excellent measured response, and they popped into my head as something that might be good for your space.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You could also go active, like a small pair of self-powered speaker. JBL, Genelec, KEF are abvious ones there.
In fact, a number of classic monitor designs have their roots in the need for monitoring inside broadcast vans, from the classic BBC LS3/5a to the lineage leading to the current Neumann KH120A / MkII.

I would not even know where to accommodate a record player under these circumstances, let alone the rest. A pair of iLoud MTMs plus a DAC sporting balanced output, a volume control and all the inputs you need sounds like a far more sensible proposition.

If there are some records you can't live without that just aren't available digitally, you could still set up a little (temporary) vinyl ripping corner somewhere with like a used SB X-Fi HD and a turntable plus a laptop or something.

Top Bottom