• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Universal Audio Volt USB Audio Interfaces

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We'll see RSN. (Real Soon Now). The YouTube videos I've seen are pretty neutral and non-committal. More like previews really. I kind of wonder if they were dealing with beta hardware/firmware etc. or under some sort of review rules.

I do like the concept of just providing the two FX most users will need. That said, with devices like the M2 and M4 out there, best in class audio performance is certainly a bold claim. Looking forward to kicking the tires.
Best in class might not include specs however. You'll just be taking their word for it. ;)

B-Flow

But the compressor... Such a good feature in a device of this class. If you don't know much about Universal Audio history, you might not know that our 1176LN compressor is a staple in nearly every recording studio, used on everything from vocals to drums. One of the best studio compressors ever designed. Our team was able to derive a lower cost version of that circuit and slip it into the higher-end Volts. If you are into recording, you should get one with the compressor. It is such a good feature.
Hi Dave,

When I heard about UA doing a more novice-priced USB interface I was very excited (because even your USB Solo is well out of my price range). I do wish there had been even just a smidge of on-board DSP for live/streaming applications (EQ, Compressor, and 'verb would have been nice). I guess Steinberg is still the only one in this price bracket to brave that.

Even though the 76 series is still too much money for me, I am curious about the compressor. This may well exposes my ignorance, but how much utility is there in a compressor with no settings of any kind? Isn't the ability to dial in attack, release, ratio, gain etc kind of the point? I see you have 'presets' for voice/guitar, but how can there be a one-size-fits-all-voices (or guitars)?

And this is just a bit of candid feedback: I really dont dig the aesthetic direction UA took with these. I mean, the whole cream color and garish buttons/lights. I guess that tickles the nostagia for some buyers but I just dont dig it myself. :) The input knobs layout isnt super intuitive as well.

Last edited:

jonljacobi

Not to answer for Dave, but tastes vary. I quite like the look and I understand it as UA has an "analog-vibe, print to tape" type philosophy. It shows up in everything they do.

And as far as tweaking, I was an assistant for some very good engineers back in the day (80's) and I can tell you one thing, in terms of outboard gear such as compressors, limiters, and gates during the recording phase, these guys had their proven settings. Patch it, 10 seconds max putting the knobs where they knew they wanted them and on with the session. There was little to no tweaking after that unless a signal was unexpectedly hot or some such. Note that they were not used as FX during recording, just a means to get rid of noise, keep the signal from overloading, and otherwise get a clean, solid track that was easy to mix later. Of course, experience had taught them the settings and tricks.

But the point is, they had their proven presets and didn't spend a lot of time dicking around. It wasn't necessary, and it looked bad in front of producers and the like. Presets aren't bad, if they're good... LOL.

Mixing is a whole other ballgame, but the Volt effects aren't/can't be used for mixing unless you want to loop them in. I know there's always interest in something new, but these interfaces are very much meant for users who want to get nice tracks in a hurry without the aid of an engineer. I still haven't received a unit, so I can't vouch for how successful they are at this. ;-)

Taswegian

I do wish there had been even just a smidge of on-board DSP for live/streaming applications (EQ, Compressor, and 'verb would have been nice). I guess Steinberg is still the only one in this price bracket to brave that.
Tascam?

temps

jonljacobi

I should have mine Monday, but it seems pretty decent overall with no major weaknesses. It's obviously aimed at a particular market and it's not one that obsesses over specs much. I'm anxiously awaiting JK's 76 review. The preamp emulation seems pretty spot on, so hopefully the compressor will be as well. I've used both the 610 and 1176 extensively. When I say spot on, I mean true to the original, not necessarily something you like or want.

jonljacobi

I finally received this. The 276 Studio pack. The headphones are forgettable, but the mic is actually pretty decent though a tad lacking in top end compared to my Rode NT1-A. The Volt 276 is a very nice sounding interface, although as I've stated, I have a difficult time telling the difference between any decent modern interface. Lots of headroom and headphone volume. No noise on input to speak of, even with my Nady RSM-4 and Shure SM57.

I personally love the preamp, it's kind of like the SSL 4K and Focusrite Air and you can mess up the high-frequency mix with over use. However, it does add some low-end and according to JK scoop the mids a bit. I had a hard time hearing the latter but it does definitely have a vintage/warm vibe.

The compression is very mild, as it should be on input, but you can notice a difference. I like it and tried it in vocals and acoustic guitar. It tames but doesn't squash. If you want squash, apply it in post.

The one weird thing is that I could've sworn it sounded better under macOS than Windows WDM. There's something off with the WDM driver and the mids sounded strident. At least at first. It also didn't switch well. I would lose output on the Volt when switching between the Volt and the Clarett 4Pre and the Twin X. And there were some clicks when the Volt 276 first engaged on these switches.

Why UA has such a time with WDM, I can't say, but overall, I'm quite enjoying my time with this interface. If they let me keep it, I'll continue using it. Save me loading those hundreds of UAD modules.

Noodles

Mic preamps are ~55dB gain, quite standard. Headphone out is OK, can push 250 ohm beyers well enough. Compressor is what was most interesting for me, the vintage sound i already have with the "4k" on the SSL - does pretty much the same thing.
I love the buttons and i was considering it over my SSL 2+ ... but it really doesn't bring anything serious to the table...
Also the fact that you have to register the interface to even get drivers.... come on!!

MOTU ultralight is twice as good if not better (well maybe a bit of an overreach :) ) ... of course we have to factor in the price as well...

What saves the Apollo line from being forgettable is the DSP suite in my opinion... These days you can get similar results out of the Antelope stuff at half the price.

What saves the Volt is ... ummm..... ..... the buttons ?

I don't want to be tooo harsh on the thing of course ... i think for anyone serious enough to produce with it - they aren't going to use either the compressor or the vintage sound as you cannot get rid of them in post. What the target audience would probably be is podcasts and maaaybe voice actors. Its an adequate interface ... but apart from cash, i don't really know why companies these days settle for just adequate, when they can try and achieve more...
But i digress - if you like it for what it is, that's fine to :)

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Also the fact that you have to register the interface to even get drivers.... come on!!

Now that is an annoyance! Genelec have the same requirement for downloading the GLM software used for room EQ of their monitors.

jonljacobi

Yes, the entire software bundle, including the ASIO driver requires signing up and in a few cases, installing " Web installers". A couple require iLok. But that's kind of the norm these days. I avoid it like the plague when I can. In this case, I was being paid to.

I haven't tried the UltraLight MK 5, but people say its great and it has a ton more I/O. It's also $250 more. In the end, if you want the compressor and preamp emulations, then the Volt is a good deal. If you don't, you can get more I/O and equivalent sound for considerably less. I figure the Volt hits the target user right on the button--non-musical/technical types that just want a good sounding recording without a lot of fuss or know-how. It's not really for most of the people in this forum.

I quite like the FX, but I've also now noticed that the compressor increases signal strength quite a bit. It's not as noticeable with a vocal though a mic, or an acoustic/electric, which is what I first tried. But when I plugged a pure electric or line level from an amp it was very noticeable. This was with direct monitoring.

Have to send it back now. You'll be able to read the review of the whole kit on Macworld soon. I turned it in, so it's now up to them. If you notice any mistakes, feel free to point them out.

Sergey2020

Help with the choice of headphones for VOLT:
Beyerdinamic DT880 pro/990 pro (32,80 or 250 Om) ???
will use headphones not only for listening to the finished track, but also for mixing. The maximum volume is needed 96-100 dB (since when recording sound, the voice level will be from -12 to - 20 dBfs).

Noodles

80 because output impedance on the volt is 10 ohms if i recall correctly. With 32 you can have some frequency roll off... and with 250 ... there is actually no point, but you can of course :)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
DT880-250s need only 300 mV for 90 dB, so that's ~950 mV for 100 dB or 3 mW into 300 ohms. Nearly every single interface out there can manage that - the only ones that might fail this under some circumstances are the M-Audio M-Track series (self-monitoring is quieter than USB out).

If you want an extra safety margin of 6 dB, that's 1.9 Vrms or 12 mW - that, too, still is well within the reach of the Volt series (31 mW, ~3.05 Vrms).

It doesn't look like there are any issues with low-frequency rolloff into low-impedance loads either (presumably DC-coupled output), and load driving seems good as well. So in sum, all versions of the Beyers should be driven well... even the 600 ohm ones if need be.

LukeA

I'm currently using a Volt 2 through a Mastersounds Radius 4 dj mixer. Also using a Topping PA5 amp and PSB Imagine B speakers.

The monitor outputs sound good to my ears. I just compared against a Firestone Cute Series Spitfire HD, Echo Audiofire 12, and a Denon SC6000M on separate channels through the mixer, switching on the fly immediately. I can't tell any audible difference between any of them!!! I guess the mixer might be rounding off the signals a little being an analogue mixer. I guess they all have fairly similar specs anyway.

Unfortunately, that's all the DACs I have. I was thinking of getting a Topping E30 II dac but I really don't know if I'll tell any difference. :)

Specs for each...

SC6000M -
snr 116db THD <0.0015%

Echo Audiofire 12
  • Dynamic range: input 113dBA, output 114dBA.
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz ±0.1dB.
  • THD + Noise: <0.002 percent.
Radius 4 -
Residual Output Noise <-95dBu 20Hz to 20kHz un-weighted
Mix noise Unity Line IN to Mix Out <-88bBu 20Hz to 20kHz un-weighted
Distortion THD+N 0dBu = 0.0025% Line IN to Mix OUT
Distortion THD+N +10dBu = 0.001% Line IN to Mix OUT
Dynamic Range >115dB
Frequency Response 10Hz – 100kHz +0.5/-2dB

Monitor Specs for the Volt 2
Monitor & 476 Line Outputs
Frequency Response20 Hz to 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB
Dynamic Range (A–weighted)110 dB