• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Universal Audio Volt USB Audio Interfaces

Lord_Balkan

I've been looking for a cheaper 2 input interface for 2 Shure SM7B, and thinking the Volt 2. Would you guys recommend this over the Scarlet or Motu M2? I don't care about the DAC or headphone preformance, as I already have an SMSL C200

Dave Tremblay

Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you can justify it, I’d recommend going with the 76 version of the Volt. Having a true 1176 style analog compressor on the input is a very nice sounding and usable feature. I’m biased, of course, but the reality is that everyone in this price class is just making different trade offs. Volt has the nicest analog front end for the mic preamps. M2 has the highest DAC spec. 2i2 has the recognizable red industrial design. All of those are well executed. Once you drop to lower end manufacturers, you’re going to start to see messier performance or quality control.

Lord_Balkan

If you can justify it, I’d recommend going with the 76 version of the Volt. Having a true 1176 style analog compressor on the input is a very nice sounding and usable feature. I’m biased, of course, but the reality is that everyone in this price class is just making different trade offs. Volt has the nicest analog front end for the mic preamps. M2 has the highest DAC spec. 2i2 has the recognizable red industrial design. All of those are well executed. Once you drop to lower end manufacturers, you’re going to start to see messier performance or quality control.
I'm mostly going to be recording voice for podcasts/ youtube videos, do you think the analog compressor is still worth it?

Dave Tremblay

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm mostly going to be recording voice for podcasts/ youtube videos, do you think the analog compressor is still worth it?
Absolutely. Compressor on voice is arguably the most important place to use a compressor. IIRC, there is a vocal setting on the compressor, which is what you should use.

Noodles

The effects on the x76 interfaces also come with a bit of gain as well - that is going to be useful for your sm7b's. The volts are a good choice.

jonljacobi

Note that they didn't leave the interface in my hands so I can't fire it up to answer questions.

Lord_Balkan

1677162045034.png

There are two things I'm worried about with the Volt 276, and I'm not sure if its worth worrying about- its possible that this is intended / expected. Anyone know about this that can explain?

Noodles

Well that's what a compressor does. Some have a wider range some narrower. This particular one has ~ 87db
A compressor "squishes" the lowest and highest in amplitude tones into a smaller band. That happens to also be one of the main features of the volt.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Got my Volt 476P and I love it. Super simple, amazingly transparent, beautiful vintage design and 4 x XLR inputs + 6 x Baanced Outs + 2 x Headphone Outs. This device is replacing a RME Fireface UCX-II that it's now for sale.

IMG_9783.jpeg

IMG_9781.jpeg

IMG_9784.jpeg

Tom C

Major Contributor

Trell

Major Contributor

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’m curious as to why this new device replaced the UCX II. What are the benefits of it, for your workflow? Any downsides?
The UCX-II is a great AI but for home use is just overkill. The Volt works without any software straight out of the box. I like the vintage look better than the RME and it’s 1/3 of the price. I have 2 x UA Apollo Twin X Quad at work so no need for another overkill AI at home.

Sergey2020

I had a volt 2. Sold it. Entry level. The sound is muddy after good audio interfaces and dacs

Drew at UA

Audio Company
Top Bottom