• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables on Amazon Prime Day?

robh

I'm looking to upgrade the only (real) turntable I've ever owned, from my college days. A DUAL 505-2. It has some kind of Ortofon cartridge but don't remember which one. I think the cartridge alone was over $100 thirty years ago.

So Amazon has some Prime deals on phonographs. I'm not looking for a $5K audiophile grade work of art, but something as good or a step up from the Dual. Figure $750-1000 max. Any recommendations? Bonus points if it's actually a legit deal today or tomorrow on Amazon, but not a necessity. I could easily just buy one from somewhere else too.

Attachments

• Turn1.jpg
    Turn1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 91

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm looking to upgrade the only (real) turntable I've ever owned, from my college days. A DUAL 505-2. It has some kind of Ortofon cartridge but don't remember which one. I think the cartridge alone was over $100 thirty years ago.

So Amazon has some Prime deals on phonographs. I'm not looking for a $5K audiophile grade work of art, but something as good or a step up from the Dual. Figure $750-1000 max. Any recommendations? Bonus points if it's actually a legit deal today or tomorrow on Amazon, but not a necessity. I could easily just buy one from somewhere else too.
[emphasis added]

such as?
I am intrinsically skeptical of any "Amazon Prime Day deals" on tts... but, heck, you never know!

I mean, the 505 came from (well) past DUAL's glory days*, and is kind of flimsy... but it was decent enough as a basic record player.

EDIT: Oh, to answer your question - the current "entry level" Technics (Panasonic) DD tt would be a reasonable choice for a new tt in 2023 that isn't obscenely expensive. There are obscenely expensive Technics options, too, of course. :)
* While DUAL did indeed make a few nice turntables (e.g., the CS 5000), most of the ones they are famous for were horrifically complex mechanical nightmares, which (just to add insult to injury) haven't aged gracefully. There, I said it, and I feel better! :)

Last edited:

drewdawg999

I agree, Technics SL-100C is the one to get. Checks all the boxes and would be on my wantlist if I didn't already have 4 turntables. Too bad it's not on sale though. I would upgrade the stylus to ML, which would put it over budget. Wonder what it would sound like with an MC cartridge on there, bet it would be killer.

OP
R

robh

Thanks guys. I can spend the $$ for that Technics. For the money, on another website, is there something else worth considering?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, that looks awfully expensive, to me, for what it is (and what it's not). (EDIT: Sorry, I wrote this before I saw post #5 above!).
The price differential to the entry level Technics is a few hundred bucks.
Conversely, you can get the performance of that A-T belt drive for several hundred dollars less from several (maybe even many) different brands.
E.g., why would you pick that A-T over, say, a Rega Planar 1 or a Pro-Ject Debut?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mean, heck, even I use a DD tt.
A rather vintage one at that -- albeit not a Technics. ;)

Nothing at all against Technics' DDs, then or now -- indeed, there are a couple of 'em here (vintage models, that is), one of which was in regular use... 'til that Sony came along. :)

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I agree, Technics SL-100C is the one to get. Checks all the boxes and would be on my wantlist if I didn't already have 4 turntables. Too bad it's not on sale though. I would upgrade the stylus to ML, which would put it over budget. Wonder what it would sound like with an MC cartridge on there, bet it would be killer.
I cast another vote for the Technics SL-100C. Consider replacing the default conical stylus with the Audio-Technica AT-VMN95E elliptical stylus - currently $46.99 at Amazon or IF you can afford it, the $149 Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML (micro line) stylus. I think you will perceive more detail being resolved with the elliptical stylus and 'may' perceive even more detail with the micro line stylus. Both styli are a direct replacement for the Audio-Technica AT-VM95C conical stylus supplied with the Technics SL-100C.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It looks compatible to me.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Top Bottom