• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tropical Cyclone Irma

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Some of the latest forecasts turning it further West.

Yes...

upload_2017-9-7_17-21-26.png

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I am pretty sure NASA is not the agency that deal with climate change. Nevertheless it has been my experience the government tends to deny such iissues less the be forced to develop an expensive and controversial solution.
They also prefer to not stir up the lunatic fringe.

It reminds me of the tobacco industry. The manufacturers forgot to tell their customers/investors on how it could affect the climate in their lungs and brain.

2rhXy.jpg

You guys saw that Michael Mann's flick?

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The talk of global warming climate change reminds me of this:
...Popper recognizes that scientists can and do hold onto theories in the face of failed predictions when there are no predictively superior rivals to turn to. He holds that scientific practice is characterized by its continual effort to test theories against experience and make revisions based on the outcomes of these tests. By contrast, theories that are permanently immunized from falsification by the introduction of untestable ad hoc hypotheses can no longer be classified as scientific.

The talk of global warming climate change reminds me of this:
Yes reality bites. It really is bothersome to have an hypothesis confirmed by reality. At least if you cling to the belief that it can't possibly be true.
You tell me how can political bias establish evidence?

NorthSky

Major Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
We have a guy up in Boulder at NIST who disagrees it is human-caused but pretty much everyone agrees warming is Happening. But is that what this thread is going to be, a political pissing contest? I get enough of that elsewhere...

My brother was in the Bahamas (flying he and his wife in their private plane; he's a commercial pilot in his day job) and got out yesterday. Seems like it was cutting it close, but he said they chopped their vacation three days short. No offers of refunds... His home is NE of Atlanta so he may see it again. My heart goes out to all those that are going to be so heavily impacted. It is hard to envision the scale of a major (or even minor) hurricane.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
It was horrific in St. Martin. In my friend's text of 9/6/17, he said the roof blew off of their
room and everything blew through their room. They retreated to the shower while it all
blew up. At the eye of the storm, they sought refuge in a safer room -- and good thing!
A water heater fell from the ceiling and smashed everything in the shower after they'd escaped their room.
They're still there.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Yeah! He also wrote that had they stayed in the shower, they would be dead. :eek:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thing though is that there have been very few casualties so far, given the scale of this thing. Even in Barbuda, that was razed to the ground completely. Apparently some people there had to tie themselves to their houses in order not to be taken by the wind. But they survived! Unless we get a giant storm surge, I don't think that there will be that many deaths in Fl either.

I do believe, however, that most of the infrastructure will be destroyed. I don't think Fl will ever fully recover. It might prove difficult to get the insurance market up and running again after a disaster of this magnitude, for example.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
They've moved the forecast a little more to the west:

upload_2017-9-8_5-19-59.png

With that track the eye avoids populations until it gets close to Orlando (and Sal):

upload_2017-9-8_5-25-25.png

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Let's not discuss global warming guys.
Is that a general rule, or just in this thread?

I ask, because it's one of those subjects where one's opinion on some science is taken to be a proxy for one's politics - and this stifling of free speech fascinates me, drawing me in like a moth to a flame high efficiency LED lamp. A topic for Fight Club?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a general rule, or just in this thread?

I ask, because it's one of those subjects where one's opinion on some science is taken to be a proxy for one's politics - and this stifling of free speech fascinates me, drawing me in like a moth to a flame high efficiency LED lamp. A topic for Fight Club?

+1

Top Bottom