• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transformers in integrated amplifier

vco1

While hunting for the source of the hum coming from my Cambridge Audio 840A I noticed that it might not come from the big toroidal transformer in the middle of the amp, but rather from a small one that's mounted to the back plate of the amp. Some investigation revealed that this may be the transformer for the pre-amp.

Although it seems strange (at least to me) that the smaller one is the noisiest, it definitely seems so. I was a bit cautious putting my ear too close to the amp with the top cover removed and powered on though.

This raises a few questions:
Could it be that the smaller one has a (mechanical) hum, while the bigger one is quiet?
If it's the small one, what would be the best way to get it quiet?

From the service manual I got the following details for the small transformer (the one that seems to hum):
Toroid 230V/50Hz 7.5VAC750MA 17VAC*2 TO7405B STB
The big one is:
Toroid 230V/50Hz 36.5VACx4 5.5A TI-053044C

egellings

Major Contributor
Hum is a mechanical effect. Try shock mounting the xfmr, using a rubber or foam pad to mechanically isolate it from its mounting surface.

Top Bottom