• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping preamp

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks very nice and tempting.
Why isn't @WolfX-700 publishing it here ?

On my own website, I will publish some early prototypes/incomplete reviews/simple and incomplete measurements/more casual criticisms of Chinese manufacturers.
But if it is published in ASR, (in my opinion) it must be serious

gentlejax

I need something to simply give me a full range line out for my subwoofer for a stereo plus sub music setup without all the complexity, cost, and reduced SINAD that comes with a AVR.

Like a Emotiva PT-100 but better ! lol...

maxm272

Forum Donor
Could the Pre90 work well with the Cambridge Audio Duo phono preamp (my stylus has 3mV output)? My old integrated amp won't last much longer, I'm afraid, so I'm toying with the idea of getting this preamp plus mono blocks.
FWIW, the Duo plays louder than the amp's internal phono pre in with the volume knob in the same position, so at least in that regard, the Duo seems to provide sufficient voltage?
Also, would the 2k Ohm input impedance pose a problem? I'm a bit lost right now, so I'd really appreciate any advice!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could the Pre90 work well with the Cambridge Audio Duo phono preamp (my stylus has 3mV output)? My old integrated amp won't last much longer, I'm afraid, so I'm toying with the idea of getting this preamp plus mono blocks.
FWIW, the Duo plays louder than the amp's internal phono pre in with the volume knob in the same position, so at least in that regard, the Duo seems to provide sufficient voltage?
Also, would the 2k Ohm input impedance pose a problem? I'm a bit lost right now, so I'd really appreciate any advice!

Better you read the other thread which will inform you more
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...xt90-preamplifier-extender.17635/

Seems that your phono-preamp has just 300mv output, no idea what impedance ...

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps. Topping Dx7s allows for outputs through XLR and RCA at the same time. So you can use one or the other for subwoofer/etc preouts

ethanhallbeyer

John Yang: I'm looking to share a single DAC to use with both amps/speakers and hpa/headphones using XLR, so am needing 2 sets of XLR outputs. It seems the pre90 and extension will not be able to allow that, right? Not even Freya+ or Gustard p26 offer that.

All: I may have to go with something like Emotiva XSP-1 differential balanced pre-amp since it has 2 sets of XLR out. Or something like Wyrd4Sound's STP-SE pre-amp which also has 2 sets of XLR out. But..... I've read about reliability i ssues with Emotiva XSP-1 and use of cheap caps.. it does have a 5 year warranty though. Seems decent for $1199. But also read somewhere that it seems to flatten and suck the life out of the music. As for Wyrd4Sound, I'm somewhat concerned about the measurements I've read about on here for some of their products.

So what does that leave me that won't exceed $2k? I'd really like to spend much less, like half that. The Benchmark LA4 is more than I really want to fork out for a pre and even that doesn't have a second set of XLR out.

Last edited:

Phrangko

Like I said, for different products, they can be larger. Just don't be surprised when it's priced over 1000 dollars. You do know how much dealers undercut right?
BTW what do you mean full sized gear. Gear can only be smaller and bigger. Those mono blocks sheesh.
A recent personal situation update. I'm going to work with Topping for somewhat long term now. They value me very much, and the R&D has really good working atmosphere.
We are working our way to the higher price range, larger, more "serious" products with less compromises.
A side note, compromises and clever workarounds are where engineering happens. If you don't have constraints, you may just end up with a generic product that's the same as everyone else's
So it's not priced like the Gustard P26 preamp? I like its pricing. For that price we'll hope it will outperform the P26 in all aspects.

will.b

Forum Donor
John Yang: I'm looking to share a single DAC to use with both amps/speakers and hpa/headphones using XLR, so am needing 2 sets of XLR outputs. It seems the pre90 and extension will not be able to allow that, right? Not even Freya+ or Gustard p26 offer that.

All: I may have to go with something like Emotiva XSP-1 differential balanced pre-amp since it has 2 sets of XLR out. Or something like Wyrd4Sound's STP-SE pre-amp which also has 2 sets of XLR out. But..... I've read about reliability i ssues with Emotiva XSP-1 and use of cheap caps.. it does have a 5 year warranty though. Seems decent for $1199. But also read somewhere that it seems to flatten and suck the life out of the music. As for Wyrd4Sound, I'm somewhat concerned about the measurements I've read about on here for some of their products.

So what does that leave me that won't exceed $2k? I'd really like to spend much less, like half that. The Benchmark LA4 is more than I really want to fork out for a pre and even that doesn't have a second set of XLR out.

Wouldn't this do the job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R5XG...olid=24JT77QWNUPTI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

ethanhallbeyer

i think it could but im leaning towards a physical volume control rather than software, as i get worried more about the software control setting getting lost resulting in possible damage to my speakers or ears. i would leave a physical volume set at my preference and am more assured it will stay there. but adding a volume knob apparently introduces other issues with consistency of sound quality at anything but max.

Phrangko

Post images John of the Pre90 and Extender please. Give us the pleasure of drooling first before the 8th.

Phrangko

Then the price varies significantly. Without the extender the Pre90 itself may be attainable.

Phrangko

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_084933.jpg
    IMG_20201204_084933.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 194
Top Bottom