• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping preamp

bigLP

Forum Donor
High input impedance hopes crushed. Reasonable price hopes crushed. Oh well, Freya S can be had used still and is a better value.
I too am a little surprised by the cost with or without the extender.
I am comparing the objective data on the p90 to to my schiit freya s. I'm no longer sure the p90 has the functionality/value I was hoping for. The extender seems like a good idea, but in the end why not use a bigger case and add more inputs instead of creating a whole other box. I dont see other companies using that strategy to add inputs, why did topping? Is it obsession with the look of "the stack"?
I may take another hard look at the Gustard p26 or even Freya +. I would be curious about Wolfx700 subjective impressions of the p90 v the p26. Damn tuner and turntable keeping me in the analog world............

EdW

The pre90 including the extender here:
https://www.hifistudio79.nl/product/topping-pre90-pre-amp-ext90-input-extender/?lang=en

Euro 599 including extender. I bought there several times. Good service. It is in the Netherlands.
Price seems too good to be true since it includes sales tax. Compare with Audiophonics in France whose prices appear for most items about the same but are often a little more expensive since their prices don’t include shipping. We see the PRE90 and extender separately listed:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...tml?search_query=Topping pre90&fast_search=fs
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...nput-extension-for-topping-pre90-p-14965.html
I suspect hifistudio79 may just be quoting for the basic PRE90 here when you actually place an order? But certainly worth checking.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Price seems too good to be true since it includes sales tax. Compare with Audiophonics in France whose prices appear for most items about the same but are often a little more expensive since their prices don’t include shipping. We see the PRE90 and extender separately listed:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/preamplifier-and-volume-control/topping-pre90-balanced-single-ended-preamplifier-nfca-p-14964.html?search_query=Topping pre90&fast_search=fs
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...nput-extension-for-topping-pre90-p-14965.html
I suspect hifistudio79 may just be quoting for the basic PRE90 here when you actually place an order? But certainly worth checking.

They state that it includes the extender. They are a thrustworthy shop. But it is always possible they made a mistake though......

EdW

They state that it includes the extender. They are a thrustworthy shop. But it is always possible they made a mistake though......
An error is the most likely explanation - that was my thought too, but certainly worth emailing them if you’re in the market for a preamp

AndyLu

Forum Donor
An error is the most likely explanation - that was my thought too, but certainly worth emailing them if you’re in the market for a preamp

It is a pitty I don't need it, otherwise I would have tried it ;)

bahamot

Ouch, the price is higher than expected.... it makes A90 a much more attractive product.

gvl

Major Contributor
I may take another hard look at the Gustard p26 or even Freya +. I would be curious about Wolfx700 subjective impressions of the p90 v the p26. Damn tuner and turntable keeping me in the analog world

Read the earlier discussion about the low input impedance of p90 and then evaluate if it will work optimally with your gear, if not then it'll be an easier decision to make.

Dr Eas

Pre90 has an optional extender.
Pre90 itself has the same IO as A90 on the back. 1 XLR + 1 RCA for both inputs and outputs.
Extender has extra 4 pairs of XLR inputs and 1 rca input. No extra outputs.
It has cut down A90 NFCA circuitry but still much more powerful than majority of headphone amps. But it's a preamp.
Relay switching volume control for best distortion and great separation.
Has a screen. Has a remote. Has safe volume.
Low noise, Low distortion as usual.
Reduced single ended ground related issue possibilities.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but under what circumstances would you want to add a Pre 90 to a A90 & D90 MQA? Thanks.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem is that such boxes if they exist get panned on sites like this because they didn't measure as well as a $10 dongle which didn't have any of that. Even if no one can hear the difference. Until the evaluations and ratings get some weight for convenience and features, the incentive is to strip down.

Not a comment on Topping but in general the world of audio seems to be headed towards segmentation

- a set of manufacturers that build a box around a reference design for a chip which determines all the functionality. Just focus on doing the reference design well. Lower price points, good measurements close to the theoretical specs of the chip possible, mass-market direct sales, low integration potential. Mostly Asian OEMs.

- a set of manufacturers that do specialized circuitry for a single function and do it well. Don't have the resources to develop or market a lot of functionality but will have best-in-class performance. Not cheap but not very expensive. Remain in niche markets. Like Okta or Topping or even Schiit to some extent. The limiting factor to growth here seems to be software/firmware capabilities of the manufacturer. Most of them more comfortable with hardware development than software.

- a set of manufacturers that design a functional well-integrated box with carefully chosen features and then developing the proprietary circuitry and required software/firmware to deliver on that functional design. The ones who do separates here have an existential crisis because of competition from mass-market all-in-one brands. And this is why those kinds of well-designed separates solutions are going to slowly disappear or stay in high-end niche markets..

Auto sensing input? Seems to be becoming more of a thing these days.
Could not agree more. The Anthem amps have auto sense and it's great but I think they are a minority. All of the other amps I've had require a trigger. Unless there's a sonic detriment to a trigger I cannot fathom why it was left out, certainly the cost savings is far outweighed by lost sales. A definite deal breaker for me.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pre90 may actually sound like a product that doesn't need to exist. But other than the people who really like relay switching volume control. It's for the preparation of the higher end mono block power amps.
PLEEZE add a trigger output to the P90 :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pre90 may actually sound like a product that doesn't need to exist. But other than the people who really like relay switching volume control. It's for the preparation of the higher end mono block power amps.
Higher end mono block power amps? Great news. Can you tell us the topology? Class D? Chip amps? Something else?

Are they still in development? The post above was from over a year ago and I haven’t heard any news since. Thanks!

Top Bottom