• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 vs NX7

SeaBeef

Hi all,

I’m looking for a portable headphone amp and have narrowed it down to Topping G5 and Topping NX7.

The main advantage I see is the G5 having a DAC. My main source would be iPhone. Would using G5 in DAC mode give any fidelity gains over using Apple Lightning to 3.5mm jack with NX7?

Cheers

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Knowing what headphones you're using would help, but the answer is probably "no audible difference.". The NX7 has a little more power, probably not enough to be meaningful in most situations.

OP
S

SeaBeef

Knowing what headphones you're using would help, but the answer is probably "no audible difference.". The NX7 has a little more power, probably not enough to be meaningful in most situations.
HD6XX, K702, M50x, DT880, AD900X

I guess I’m just wondering if there’s any sonic difference in using G5 in DAC mode (USB-in) versus the DAC in the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm to NX7 HPA without built-in DAC?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HD6XX, K702, M50x, DT880, AD900X

I guess I’m just wondering if there’s any sonic difference in using G5 in DAC mode (USB-in) versus the DAC in the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm to NX7 HPA without built-in DAC?
Technically the G5 will have about 20dB better SNR, but neither should be audible.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yup. The apple 3.5mm still clears the 96dB threshold of 'perfect' 16-bit reproduction, so you shouldn't have an issue with either.

OP
S

SeaBeef

Yup. The apple 3.5mm still clears the 96dB threshold of 'perfect' 16-bit reproduction, so you shouldn't have an issue with either.
Cheers, thanks for that. NX7 seems like it should be more than enough, or are there better options for the money?

Top Bottom