• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 71.0%

• Total voters

gvl

Major Contributor
I have an old Onkyo DAC-HA200 that has no problem connecting to my iPhone 14 Pro, it just doesn't have quite enough juice for Dan Clark Aeon 2s.

The Onkyo works through the older and obsolete Apple proprietary protocol only on the usb-a port. USB-C is the way forward, you can’t blame Topping for not adding older technologies in their modern products.

thatnorthernsound

Forum Donor
The Onkyo works through the older and obsolete Apple proprietary protocol only on the usb-a port. USB-C is the way forward, you can’t blame Topping for not adding older technologies in their modern products.
I can absolutely blame them when they advertise this as an iOS compatible device when it's not unless you use a clunky workaround.

If this isn't compatible with a USB-C to Lightning they need to be clear about that so people don't waste their time like I did.

gvl

Major Contributor
It’s compatible with USB-C iPhones which were shipping for the last 2 years.

And it’s compatible with iOS, the stupid lightning port is not a part of iOS.

gvl

Major Contributor
G5 came out in Aug 2022. This was before the iPhone 14 was even announced, which is lighting port only. USB C capable iPhone 15 didn’t come out until Oct 2023.

Fair enough, still the issue is rather minor and there are OTG cables too.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can absolutely blame them when they advertise this as an iOS compatible device when it's not unless you use a clunky workaround.

If this isn't compatible with a USB-C to Lightning they need to be clear about that so people don't waste their time like I did.
If I’m not mistaken, the G5 comes in two versions (besides the color): a standard “type-C” version, and a “lightning” version (+$20). The “lightning” version includes a USB-C to lightning cable: is this the one you got?
You said you tried different cables without success: did you try that original lightning cable?

Side note: I have the standard G5 (no lightning cable), but have no particular problem connecting it to my iPhone 12 with the right cable/adapter…

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Apos explicitly include an iOS compatible cable option which you would have seen when you selected your purchase from the drop down menu. Apos could certainly be clearer that an apple certified otg cable is needed rather than optional, but the bigger issue seems to be that your phone manufacturer doesn't provide any documentation at all about this issue:

Apple have very obviously broken compatibility with widely accepted standards to prevent you from using devices outside their ecosystem. When an OS has been so obviously and deliberately broken it seems a little unfair to blame the peripheral device manufacturer. Bottom line is you just need to buy the cable that you saw was available when you bought your g5 and you'll be good to go.

thatnorthernsound

Forum Donor
Apos explicitly include an iOS compatible cable option which you would have seen when you selected your purchase from the drop down menu. Apos could certainly be clearer that an apple certified otg cable is needed rather than optional, but the bigger issue seems to be that your phone manufacturer doesn't provide any documentation at all about this issue:

Apple have very obviously broken compatibility with widely accepted standards to prevent you from using devices outside their ecosystem. When an OS has been so obviously and deliberately broken it seems a little unfair to blame the peripheral device manufacturer. Bottom line is you just need to buy the cable that you saw was available when you bought your g5 and you'll be good to go.
The bundled option was sold out. Nowhere on their site does it say that there's a separate version that's iPhone compatible, just that it's a bundle with the FiiO cable.

I'm in communication with Apos, they're telling me that the G5 is "finicky" with iOS devices but haven't explicitly said that I shouldn't be able to connect with a USB-C to lightning, or that I need to buy that specific cable.

If that was the easy solve I'd purchase the cable, but that's not something that Apos has recommended. They're currently reaching out to Topping to figure out if there are other solves to for the connection issue — other than turning my phone off and on again, which they originally recommended.

It's super annoying that Apple has proprietary cables, I'm not arguing that all.

I just want the damn thing to work without having to dive 40 pages into an Audio Science Review forum to find answers.

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So it was just the output from RCA on another Topping DAC

Yes, hence the warning lol

Edit: sorry, no, not DAC; preamp/headphone amplifier. I believe ths DAC is limited to 5VRMS, with just over 3dB headroom if memory serves and the info I read was accurate. If it was hooked up to the DAC, I don't think the signal would've been more than 2-3V. I had the L70 on high gain for the preamp section for use with my LA90D (power amp) in low gain, and have the E70V (DAC) in 5V mode (for best dynamic range)

Now I have the L70 and A70 Pro. Random fact: the A70 Pro sounds better driving really low impedance drivers than the L70, but sound is the same above 40 ohms and line level (obv, because it's much higher impedance than 40 ohms). So unless you plan to drive those really expensive 10-13 ohm electrostatic cans or some loudspeakers directly, I'd go with the L70.

Last edited:
Top Bottom