• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Troupster

Sometimes a SMPS transformer whines if there is a SMPS or the front display driver IC is whining. If me I would contact the seller and start a service claim.
I’ve decided to return this unit and buy one from Apos where their warranty is more reliable. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

The E50 is a superb DAC, I was bummed that I had to return it, but I will hopefully get one without any issues.

Thorskin

How safe would it be to rely on the preamp of this DAC?
I want to use it straight into a pair of active speakers but I'm worried of any software glitches causing the volume to default to max.
(Had happened before with my Allo boss Volumio steamer and it was awful)
I have been using my Schiit Sys ever since as a safety attenuator but i want to use the balanced output of this DAC + RCA to my subwoofer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Thorskin do your speakers have a volume knob or input sensitivity switch? If so, set those so that 100% volume out of the DAC is loud enough for quiet content, but not too loud to break anything.
Then turn down the DAC some to get normal volume.
With that done, even if the DAC's volume resets somehow, your speakers and ears will not be damaged.

tsine

I also recently purchased the E50.
I posted a while back about ground loop troubles with my d50s and main pc.
Following several suggestions, the alternatives were to use an optical connection between my computer and the dac or to upgrade to a dac with an xlr connection.
My computer didn't have an optical out at the time, so I purchased one from Amazon pci-e to do the job (never got it by the way and got a refund ).

So, after reading the E50 review, I decided to buy one when I had some spare cash (195 euros).
And the moment had come.
I'm using TRS TO TRS with my Focal Alpha 50 Evo and I'm not hearing any of the typical ground loop noise.

When compared to the D50S, the sound has a more realistic sound stage and also sounds better at low volumes.
I'm not sure if the sound changes are due to trs or if I'm simply attempting to excuse this as an improvement in sound quality.

Objectively, I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, but when I play them back to back, I can.Furthermore, since I am not an expert in volume leveling, I am unable to determine whether both dacs were playing at the same volume.

So, in conclusion, d50s resulted in the leaving room.

Last edited:
I also recently purchased the E50.
I posted a while back about ground loop troubles with my d50s and main pc.
Following several suggestions, the alternatives were to use an optical connection between my computer and the dac or to upgrade to a dac with an xlr connection.
My computer didn't have an optical out at the time, so I purchased one from Amazon pci-e to do the job (never got it by the way and got a refund ).

So, after reading the E50 review, I decided to buy one when I had some spare cash (195 euros).
And the moment had come.
I'm using TRS TO TRS with my Focal Alpha 50 Evo and I'm not hearing any of the typical ground loop noise.

When compared to the D50S, the sound has a more realistic sound stage and also sounds better at low volumes.
I'm not sure if the sound changes are due to trs or if I'm simply attempting to excuse this as an improvement in sound quality.

Objectively, I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, but when I play them back to back, I can.Furthermore, since I am not an expert in volume leveling, I am unable to determine whether both dacs were playing at the same volume.

So, in conclusion, d50s resulted in the leaving room.
That's strange, I paid for mine 150 euros and never had such issues.

you paid for D50S ? Ground loops depend on the whole system not the dac only
Oh, my bad. I mistakenly assumed you were talking of the issues with e50. Nah, I meant e50 all the way. Actually I pad for mine 152 including shipping. I guess you had to pay much more for your e50 as it is much more popular nowadays.

tsine

Oh, my bad. I mistakenly assumed you were talking of the issues with e50. Nah, I meant e50 all the way. Actually I pad for mine 152 including shipping. I guess you had to pay much more for your e50 as it is much more popular nowadays.
Where did you find E50 for only 150 euro including shipping?

tsine

Online, my friend, online. Do you mind me asking why you are so much into arguing that your paid less than others? Why even mentioning that you paid 195 euros? Who cares? As far as I know this thread is devoted to technical stuff. I mean, what is your point of mentioning how much you paid?
No I would like to know the store you bought it to have it on my watch list for feature reference

tsine

Online, my friend, online. Do you mind me asking why you are so much into arguing that your paid less than others? Why even mentioning that you paid 195 euros? Who cares? As far as I know this thread is devoted to technical stuff. I mean, what is your point of mentioning how much you paid?
And I mentioned the price because at the beginning I was not able to find E50 for less that 250 and with reasonable shipping times (around a week ) so when I found it 190 I bought it .

rcstevensonaz

And I mentioned the price because at the beginning I was not able to find E50 for less that 250 and with reasonable shipping times (around a week ) so when I found it 190 I bought it .
Wait a second, I think you have some personal issues. Are you saying that being aware that at least some of the people watching/participating in this thread had to pay 250 you just had to say that you paid 195? What does that make you? No worries though, there's no need to answer that last question.
Unknown_Command, am I missing something? Tsine mentioned they found it for 190 (instead of 250). You noted in a reply that you purchased it for 150. Tsine then asked where you bought it for only 150 so they could add it to the list of stores they monitor — just as others might have asked the same of Tsine.

For me, I appreciate knowing the lowest cost others have paid, and from where. For example, I discovered a few stores in Europe that offered incredible deals on RME equipment compared to what I could get it for in the USA. Similar for Focal speakers.

So maybe I missed something... but I am not understanding the issue you are pushing back on.

tsine

Do yourself a favour and read his answers, then you'll know the answer:
I apologize for interrupting. I completely agree with @rcstevensonaz. In the first place, you misinterpreted what I wrote and were offended. You assumed I mentioned the price I paid for the e50 to annoy others who paid a higher price or something.

The only reason I mentioned the price is because it is important to me and was the only reason I decided to buy it.

If this is not acceptable, I will not repeat it in order not to offend anyone else.

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend some online stores where I can get better deals. This will only assist someone in keeping a store on his watch list.

tsine

Oh, how convenient for you was to say that only afer getting a hint from rcstevensonaz, lol
I apologize profusely if I offended you in any way. But I have no idea how to compensate.

One can simply observe our conversation, and if anyone was offended, I deeply apologize to them as well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do yourself a favour and read his answers, then you'll know the answer:

I'm not sure where the aggression is coming from, but you can dial it back please.

A few overly obnoxious posts removed, and others moved to a more appropriate thread.

tsine

Something else.
The Focal alpha 50 evo has an auto standby mode for energy efficiency.
It didn't work well with RCA; the monitor would suddenly stop and go into standby mode, even when music was playing.
I also had to turn the speakers off and on again to get them to start.

The problem is solved with a TRS connection(with E50) because the speaker does not turn off unexpectedly at mid-higher volumes.
However, the problem persists at low volumes.
If I listen to something at low volume in the middle of the night, the speaker will go to standby, but unlike RCA, I don't have to turn them off and on again.
To get them out of standby mode, I simply turn up the volume.

First and foremost, I assumed that standby mode detected voltage in the input lines.
So perhaps a higher voltage TRS will make them work properly.

I guess I'll have to disable auto standby on the speakers once more.

P.S. I know that stand by problem is a common issue with these specific focal speakers .

Georgeadv

Is there a way to check the firmware of this thing?
Can you please also advise what is the default filter? No1?

Georgeadv

If you are hooked to a PC, open the DAC driver icon. The info will be in there.

F1 will be default. IME, all filters are indistinguishable from each other.
I am on a mac…. Nothing shows up when i connect it

Top Bottom