• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
What ampere did you use for the power adaptor? Is there a minimum Amperage you can recommend? Is there a minimum? Because there is so many difference amperage in mobile charger. 1A, 1.5A, 2A.
I cannot find the information in this forum and also in the topping E50 official page.

Thank you
A 5V/1A power supply is sufficient for the E50 as described in the manual.

Attachments

• E50 PS.jpg
    E50 PS.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 85

gregsoir

Is this E50 much better than a SMSL SU-1? worth additional money and changing from RCA to BAL? I am using SMSL AO200 as amplifier towards ELAC Debut B5.2.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is this E50 much better than a SMSL SU-1? worth additional money and changing from RCA to BAL? I am using SMSL AO200 as amplifier towards ELAC Debut B5.2.
The SU-1 has RCA only and the E50 has both RCA and TRS (BAL) outputs. The AO200 amplifier has both RCA and XLR (BAL) inputs, so if you want a BAL connection, the E50 is preferable.
The SU-1's RCA can be connected to the AO200's XLR input using an RCA>XLR conversion cable, and sound will be output, but the performance is inferior to the RCA>RCA connection. I do not recommend such connections.
The E50 has better electrical characteristics than the SU-1, but I don't think there is a big difference in the actual sound quality.
These days, even cheap products have excellent sound quality. After that, please select either with or without a display. However, I recommend the proven E50 in terms of stable operation.
Currently I am using E50 and AO200 with both RCA>RCA and TRS>XLR connections.

thisiscrs

Hello everyone, I would like to finally get a DAC and headphone amplifier for my aged Beyerdynamic T90.

Since yesterday I have been searching forums and tests for different devices. First I came across the manufacturer iFi and the Zen Dac Signature V2 + Can Signature combination. This is currently available for 399 euros.

After looking around here in the forum, I found the Topping E50 + L50 particularly interesting. Here I would end up at around 350 euros. The dealer who offers the topping recommended the FiiO K5 or K7. Would this one also be good?

Which combination would you recommend or where can I get more for the money?

I only connect my T90 and the Audioengine A2+, BT is not important to me as I have a NAD AVR in the room that I can stream to. I currently use Tidal as it is very cheap. MQA... i know. Qobuz is the way to go.

Last edited:

the_surf_doc

The dealer who offers the topping recommended the FiiO K5 or K7. Would this one also be good?
I'd be cautious about what a dealer recommends. Often they just want to clear stock. JMHO. But in this case, I think the FiiO K5 may be a decent bet. It was measured on here once.

thisiscrs

I'd be cautious about what a dealer recommends. Often they just want to clear stock. JMHO. But in this case, I think the FiiO K5 may be a decent bet. It was measured on here once.
He said something about the fiiO K5 Pro being good enough and that I would pay much more for little added value with the others.

the_surf_doc

He said something about the fiiO K5 Pro being good enough and that I would pay much more for little added value with the others.

Here's the ASR review. Amir recommends it.

That's the 2019 version. I'm sure any newer version would have a more recent version of the ESS chip. Someone will have posted about it on here, maybe have a search.

I don't use my E50 with headphones, I use my iPhone as I'm lazy.

bogi

That's the 2019 version. I'm sure any newer version would have a more recent version of the ESS chip.

Poor measurement results of the 2019 version are not caused by weak ESS chip.
I recommend E50 & L50 stack over K5.
Don't buy on dealers recommendations. They want to free their stock.

the_surf_doc

Just to be clear, that is not something I inferred - or intended to infer. I just flagged up that the review was for an older model.

thisiscrs

I recommend E50 & L50 stack over K5.
Don't buy on dealers recommendations. They want to free their stock.
If I go for the E50 + L50, which power supply should I get? What other cables do I need? How long is the USB cable or is that not included either?

bogi

If I go for the E50 + L50, which power supply should I get? What other cables do I need? How long is the USB cable or is that not included either?
Included USB cable is about 3 feet. If you would need longer good choice is Belkin Pro series.
Search for an option to buy E50 + L50 as a pack - it usually costs less and the pack usually includes balanced TRS interconnect cable from Topping https://hifigo.com/products/topping-tct1
Power supply:
With L50 you get power supply too (its not DC +5V but AC one).
E50: 'Experts' on this forum will suggest you to power it from a free computer USB port. My suggestion is different - depends on country you are from - for example (only 120V AC input): https://www.amazon.com/JAMECO-RELIAPRO-DDU050100M2270-Transformer-Single-Out/dp/B09DGPZM5Q

Alternatives could be combos Topping DX5 Lite, Sabaj A20D, Loxjie D40 Pro.

thisiscrs

The cable might be too short, I'll measure it. I come from Germany, and I don't think there is a provider here that offers a package. I'll take a closer look at the alternatives in a moment. Would I have to worry about the quality and durability of the topping?

bogi

bogi

thisiscrs

thisiscrs

Included USB cable is about 3 feet. If you would need longer good choice is Belkin Pro series.
Search for an option to buy E50 + L50 as a pack - it usually costs less and the pack usually includes balanced TRS interconnect cable from Topping https://hifigo.com/products/topping-tct1
Power supply:
With L50 you get power supply too (its not DC +5V but AC one).
E50: 'Experts' on this forum will suggest you to power it from a free computer USB port. My suggestion is different - depends on country you are from - for example (only 120V AC input): https://www.amazon.com/JAMECO-RELIAPRO-DDU050100M2270-Transformer-Single-Out/dp/B09DGPZM5Q

Which one would u suggest for my Setup. The L50/E50 Stack or the DX5 Lite?

bogi

Which one would u suggest for my Setup. The L50/E50 Stack or the DX5 Lite?
I am looking to DAC and headamp/preamp as to standalone components. It may be nice to have equally looking 2 devices stacked together on desk, but I am often combining devices of different manufacturers and I want to have the ability to change only one of the components after some time. Because I wish such a versability I always choose separate DAC and amp. Having 2 components also lowers the risk of an issue/malfunction. It is not usual that 2 separate devices would unexpectedly fail at the same time. But of course, combo devices have also advantages. They are usually smaller than 2 devices, you need only one power supply, there is no need for interconnect cables. It's easier to travel with a small combo device. You can still use some external amp with combo device in DAC mode.

Performance wise, when using usual headphones, there should be no evident sound quality difference between E50/L50 stack and DX5 lite. There are many other combos on the market with significantly lower quality amp part than DAC part. That's not the case of 3 combo devices I suggested.

Top Bottom