• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 impedance + new way to use?

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Consider the E70 V, L70, and A70 Pro -all have line level SE+BAL outputs on the rear, just like the E50:
E70 Velvet - SE output impedance is 50 ohms, balanced: 100.
L70 (preamp)'s SE/BAL (RCA/XLR) 20 and 40 ohms
A70 Pro (pre)'s SE/BAL (RCA/XLR): 50 and 100 ohms

When the output impedance of a balanced output is twice its single ended, what can be safely assumed is: internally, the output stage used for SE was also been used for BAL.

When there is also a 6dB improvement in dynamic range on the balanced output, you can be almost entirely sure about your assumption that the output stage is identical.

There are other things which can be looked at (slight but not insignificant improvement to THD+n for one..), but with +6dB dynamic range and exactly double output impedance in place, the chance that all stages aren't identical is slim to none.

Earlier this evening, when, for convenience, I went to use my DT990s with my D50 by way of a really weird RCA (male) to 3.5mm (female) y-shaped adapter. And wow, was I surprised - very surprised! Pleasantly surprised... By the sound!
It was unexpectedly loud and clear, with no immediately apparent bump in the bass response. Due to a brain fart (where I forgot DT990s are 250 ohms), I thought I was plugging in 35 ohm headphones into a 50 ohm output... I immediately remembered the DT990s were 250 ohms, but that wasn't quite enough to explain the decent bass performance! So I searched for the L50 manual, opened it, and found this:
1712730977207.png

In the last row is "Output Impedance", and it's 20 ohms for SE (RCA).

With a 250 ohm headphone attached, the damping factor calculates to 12.5 (250/20). 12.5 isn't perfect, but it's better than a lot of situations which sound perfectly fine. 20 is usually good enough for high fidelity, and 40 is flawless. Some headphones actually start to sound thin much over 15-20, so higher isn't always better!

At first I thought 20 ohms was a typo, but then I saw that the dynamic range wasn't the required 6dB. If it was 5dB I'd have accepted it as a typo, maybe even 4. But 2? ... no, I can't. Especially with bandwidth being identical! Of course, by itself the 20Hz-40kHz bandwidth means nothing, but with just +2dB DR? What is up with this! What's the point even? Topping saving a bit of money using $9 op amps instead of $12? What's the deal?

Also, I'm going to try some critical listening, comparing using the E50's RCA outs directly to headphones, to amplifying its RCA outs with an L30 II

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Which headphones? DT990 Pro? Those almost don't show any source impedance dependance. Better say it's so small that it doesn't really matter, brain does know to do that to you. It's not DR it's V and it's V*2=+6 dB and those are 102 dB per 1V so standard 2V unbalanced DAC output is pretty good choice to drive them with performance delta at - 12 dB 500 mV and having enough peek headroom. That's for very loud 90 dB program. Anyway goal is that multitone SINAD stays above possible dB at desired SPL. It gets hard sometimes with very efficient low impedance high SPL headphones and IEM's for standard even state of art DAC amp combos. It's better to use purposely designed output stage with such like mobile phone one or dongle for such usually not giving more than 500 mV max output to begin with and good noise performance of course.
Elementary logic really if something is 102 dB per V and goes great with 2V max and something else is 114+ dB per V it's better to start with something that can give - 12 dB to begin with. Of course you won't have very good crosstalk on low impedance loads.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should not connect headphones to dac directly
Yes, I've seen burned out DACs on eBay where they were including RCA to 3.5mm cables where they were plugging them direct into a DAC and said it suddenly stopped working. I think it's a really risky thing to do.

Top Bottom