• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

levimax

Major Contributor
Possible discontinuation is scary for a product like this that is going to need software updates over time. I have a Motu Ultralite MK5 which has been and has a good community and support and software and firmware updates. It does have a master volume which I find essential, a remote would be nice but for me it is not essential.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Forgive me if this is very obvious a question to ask, but is there any potential to use the Topping as a simple DA 'interface' with Logic Pro for example?
Having the potential for 8 or even 16 outputs at this spec and price would be amazing!
As long as you can supply it with a USB source, sure.

chelgrian

Possible discontinuation is scary for a product like this that is going to need software updates over time. I have a Motu Ultralite MK5 which has been and has a good community and support and software and firmware updates. It does have a master volume which I find essential, a remote would be nice but for me it is not essential.
I was basing that on several retailers showing it as such however many retailers will show a product as such if it doesn't have delivery date.

boriscrispin

If you want "lots of outputs" then look into pro audio recording interfaces that have ADAT expansion capability. Some of these offer 8 or 10 analog outputs plus another 8 via ADAT if you run at 48kHz. Some offer even more by having two ADAT banks. If you also use the SPDIF outputs you can get up to 20 analog output channels that way.
Indeed I have had my fair share of dedicated audio interfaces, from Motu as another mentioned, and Antelope - something about the simplicity, price and (comparatively) insane specs of the DM7 got me hoping it could function more like those

chelgrian

It seems tantalising, however I have discovered that Logic Pro specifically does not support ASIO, only Apples 'Core Audio'
ASIO is a Steinberg invention and was historically needed on Windows due to Windows Audio support being utterly terrible. Contemporary Windows has less need for ASIO but it's kind of stuck for various reasons. It's not needed under macOS and even Steinberg's own interfaces support Core Audio on macOS.

boriscrispin

ASIO is a Steinberg invention and was historically needed on Windows due to Windows Audio support being utterly terrible. Contemporary Windows has less need for ASIO but it's kind of stuck for various reasons. It's not needed under macOS and even Steinberg's own interfaces support Core Audio on macOS.
Then it's understandable that Apple's Logic wouldn't utilise it - I suppose I would have to just wait/hope that Topping released a Core Audio driver, if I didn't want to take a risk to see if it worked natively

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Forgive me if this is very obvious a question to ask, but is there any potential to use the Topping as a simple DA 'interface' with Logic Pro for example?
Having the potential for 8 or even 16 outputs at this spec and price would be amazing!
Unlike professional audio interfaces, DM7 doesn't include word clock input or output, and it cannot synchronize to S/PDIF or ADAT either. Therefore, DM7 cannot be synchronized to the clock of other interfaces like a separate AD interface or an additional DA interface for more channels. This limits the suitable workflows of DM7.

chelgrian

Then it's understandable that Apple's Logic wouldn't utilise it - I suppose I would have to just wait/hope that Topping released a Core Audio driver, if I didn't want to take a risk to see if it worked natively
It doesn't need one again unlike on Windows Apple's USB Audio Class driver isn't limited. The DM7 is class compliant and uses the built in driver on macOS topping themselves have this to say

'In Windows10 and 11, DM7 can use stereo channel without driver, or install driver to support 8 channels; on MAC, you can plug and play without driver and freely configure the output relationship of different
channels.'

glc650

The poor sales was commented in the forum by a topping employee, but discontinued?
Last month Apos told me it was discontinued. Shortly after that stock ran out at most places. Any place with any left in stock (seems like only the silver version) is presumably what they already had on hand and once that is gone it will become completely unavailable. Even Shenzhen Audio shows the black one as sold out with very limited quantities (and at a reduced price) available of the silver one.

Reactions: MCH

sseppala

Forum Donor
It doesn't need one again unlike on Windows Apple's USB Audio Class driver isn't limited. The DM7 is class compliant and uses the built in driver on macOS topping themselves have this to say

'In Windows10 and 11, DM7 can use stereo channel without driver, or install driver to support 8 channels; on MAC, you can plug and play without driver and freely configure the output relationship of different
channels.'

Can any owner confirm that DM7 really requires custom driver to ouput 8-channels in Windows 11 and 10. I find this a little strange, as I could swear 8-channel output works in my Asus Xonar u7 mkII without custom driver. I quess I have to check that Windows has not automatically downloaded something, at least I have not manually installed anything.

Enabling the 8-channel output is very tricky in Windows IMO and custom driver could make it much easier. I think the default usb audio driver in Windows defaults to 2-channel output, even if more channels are available.

Dave Bullet

I can't recall what I installed, but had no problem accessing all 8 channels in Windows 10 64-bit home edition or whatever basic crappy edition this PC has :D. I can't recall if DirectSound or ASIO.

For Linux - 8 channels was no problem in a moderately late version of the kernel.... 6.2+ from memory? I'm running Archlinux 6.4 I think and all good.

boriscrispin

Unlike professional audio interfaces, DM7 doesn't include word clock input or output, and it cannot synchronize to S/PDIF or ADAT either. Therefore, DM7 cannot be synchronized to the clock of other interfaces like a separate AD interface or an additional DA interface for more channels. This limits the suitable workflows of DM7.
True indeed,

channels.'

I wonder if anyone has a DM7 and uses a mac.....and Logic to see if it recognises the device.
The problem mainly i guess is not being able to check it without fully buying!

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has there been any report of catastrophic failures (like 0dB volume, DC, loud pops, etc.) with the DM7?

boxerfan88

Has there been any report of catastrophic failures (like 0dB volume, DC, loud pops, etc.) with the DM7?

Nope. My DM7 remembers the set volume across mains OFF-ON cycles (both scenarios: power switch behind the unit & unplugging AC cable). My DM7 volume is set to -3dB. I suspect the volume & other configuration settings are stored in some sort of NVRAM.

No pop/clicks during playback. My DM7 is driven directly by foobar2000, and I’m using only 3 channels.

Reactions: pos
Top Bottom