• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's not what I want, it's what I have come to understand what most people who don't want to use a PC want.

Yea a growing segment of the population is moving away from the traditional desktop computer. A lot of people don't need or want anything more than a smartphone and/or a tablet. I personally want PEQ in devise because i want to use it with more than just a computer.

A coworker and I were discussing why the D50 III might be limited to usb only, and we came up 3 potential reasons.

• Having it work for all inputs might have required different IC's, or other hardware that increased the cost to a point that it would be deemed too expensive by the target audience.
  • related to the above, the needed hardware might have potentially let to thermal or electrical limit concerns that would require a bigger case or power supply and thus additional cost.
  • They are reserving that feature for higher tier products.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well, I ordered the D50 III, my E70 will go to a friend instead. I mostly want the BT remote, the price isn't too bad

ArturoKiwi

It's not what I want,it's what I have come to understand what most people who don't want to use a PC want.
Otherwise EAPO or similar are like nuclear weapons compare to stones to such solutions.

Ok,baby steps,I can understand that,and it's nice that one can set and forget (I guess)

(and I hope it's rock-solid,filters involve levels,a default at 0db can cause mayhem)
I use Daphile with fir filter, so the usb only implementation is useless to me.
D90 III Discrete will cost much more, I'll going to buy a used E70 from people that need the peq in usb

Pouyoux

It's not what I want,it's what I have come to understand what most people who don't want to use a PC want.
Otherwise EAPO or similar are like nuclear weapons compare to stones to such solutions.

Ok,baby steps,I can understand that,and it's nice that one can set and forget (I guess)

(and I hope it's rock-solid,filters involve levels,a default at 0db can cause mayhem)
if the device does not fit your needs :
- don't buy it
- don't bother with threads dedicated to it

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a little ridiculous. Even if you aren't going to buy it doesn't mean you can't learn anything from the thread!
Why bother why stuff like this post,it's a waste of time,I don't :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird they are pushing MQA

About time they did something about their remote. This includes 2.4g Bluetooth solution.

Why wouldn't you go with the d70 pro over this? Seriously asking as someone who recently bought the d70 pro. Features seem like a lot of the same minus the colorful screen.

I know it's a touchy subject, but is anyone really hearing differences between DACs at this price point? Wish they would instead implement EQ than chase numbers.
MQA is baked into the chip. They can use it or ignore it but some will want it so I suppose they feel it's worth alienating some purists (me included) to provide.

raif71

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it be funny if the announcement by Topping about the DAC/PEQ/192khz etc was actually a consultation with ChatGPT? :p

DLS79

Forum Donor
something worth noting is that the D50 III used a newer IC than the D50 & D50s. It uses the ES9039Q2M while the older models use the ES9038Q2M.

The stand out differences seems to be a significantly lower output resistance 390Ω vs 774Ω on the older IC, and hardware mode.

New hardware mode (HW) programmatically alleviates I2C/SPI programming for ease of use.

OP

192kbps

D903 will not be upgraded in the future.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
The software for editing PEQ is now available for Windows. The application is called Topping Tune. D50 III's manual confirms that configured PEQ filters are stored at the device and can be changed through the menu of the device.
Download TOPPING Tune
Version: V1.00 (For Windows 10 & Windows 11)
Adapted products:D50 III

DLS79

Forum Donor
The software for editing PEQ is now available for Windows. The application is called Topping Tune. D50 III's manual confirms that configured PEQ filters are stored at the device and can be changed through the menu of the device.

I played with topping tune for a few minutes, and it seems ok. the one thing I immediately noticed, is that there is no way to set the slope of a high pass filter.

The manual on the official website is better than what was on the fcc site.

However to me this still reads like you can only have one preset/configuration on the devise at a time, and all you can do it turn it on and off.

D50_3_PEQ.png

Yoku-San

However to me this still reads like you can only have one preset/configuration on the devise at a time, and all you can do it turn it on and off.
For me that sentence from the manual sounds like: "only when you have the device in editing mode (connected via USB and opened the Topping Tune software) you can not access the different PEQ configurations when pressing the buttons on the device."

I would expect that you can generate and save different configurations on the device which you can then select when it is not in the editing mode.

DLS79

Forum Donor
For me that sentence from the manual sounds like: "only when you have the device in editing mode (connected via USB and opened the Topping Tune software) you can not access the different PEQ configurations when pressing the buttons on the device."

I would expect that you can generate and save different configurations on the device which you can then select when it is not in the editing mode.

To me it reads as single because it uses the word configuration 3 times instead of configurations.

Yoku-San

To me it reads as single because it uses the word configuration 3 times instead of configurations.
Why would they speak of the inability to switch the configuration on the device (when it is editing mode), if there would be only one available configuration?

DLS79

Forum Donor
Why would they speak of the inability to switch the configuration on the device (when it is editing mode), if there would be only one available configuration?

I assume what they mean is that when you are connected to the desktop app, you can't have the preset on and running. I could see their being potential issues with the IC and the app trying to access the memory/storage at the same time.

Yoku-San

I guess we have to wait for Topping to release more specific and precise informations about their PEQ implementation in the new D devices.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Was D50s the second D50 model? Anyway, would love to see a comparison graphic drawn up as Topping has done before. I know the D50 is pretty old.
They were originally doing things like D50-D50S, D70-D70S, DX7-DX7S. Just like Apple was doing with iPhone. Then at some point in time they stopped.
Also they started doing random DAC's on the letter E and amps on the letter L. Which is different from their original lightweight plays like D10, D30, A30, etc.
They now even have DX1 which means they went there too...

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If all of the PEQ crunching is done in the PC and not in the DAC itself, can the drivers for older Topping DACs be updated to include this?

Ultimately, the PC does the work, and whatever EQ it applies, it’s still just a stream on 0s and 1s it sends over USB to the DAC.

I mean, isn’t this just Topping’s version of Equaliser APO?

Last edited:
Top Bottom