• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50s versus Topping D90SE

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am currently using a D50s in between my PC (streaming Tidal) and a set of Genelec 8030s. I am curious whether there is likely any audible difference if I were to swap it out for the D90SE? I don't have the ability to trial one unfortunately and don't really want to spend $1300 to find out. I would happily spend the money if there was an audible difference....

I would very much value any opinions.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure investing this amount of money into a sub will lead to much more audible sound quality improvement than any change in the electronic chain.

Edit: a Genelec 7050cpm would fit the budget well. Feed the sub from the DAC and the 8030s from the sub.
Edit 2: invest also into a Umik 1 measurement microphone and get free REW. It helps a lot setting up the sub properly.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That being said, a USB isolator may be advisable, since the D50s is unbalanced out only. At the very least, the RCA adapter cables need to be picked carefully (or even modified / custom-made) depending on the situation in order to avoid ground loop noises.
That's correct, but if it works now I wouldn't expect problems adding the 7050 sub. The interconnects from sub to sats should be balanced, of course.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I'm sure investing this amount of money into a sub will lead to much more audible sound quality improvement than any change in the electronic chain.

Edit: a Genelec 7050cpm would fit the budget well. Feed the sub from the DAC and the 8030s from the sub.
Edit 2: invest also into a Umik 1 measurement microphone and get free REW. It helps a lot setting up the sub properly.

I tend to agree, however: I sold the D50s I used to own because it didn’t work well with REW. The automute function of the ESS9038Q2M chip appears to be sensing signal on the left channel only.

I’m not sure how Topping configured the automute_time and automute_level registers of the chip, but during REW sweeps of the right channel only, the signal cut out after just a few seconds. This never happens when playing music, of course, but if the left channel goes completely silent for a few seconds the DAC will mute all outputs.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I tend to agree, however: I sold the D50s I used to own because it didn’t work well with REW. The automute function of the ESS9038Q2M chip appears to be sensing signal on the left channel only.

I’m not sure how Topping configured the automute_time and automute_level registers of the chip, but during REW sweeps of the right channel only, the signal cut out after just a few seconds. This never happens when playing music, of course, but if the left channel goes completely silent for a few seconds the DAC will mute all outputs.
You could use a preamp headphone amp or output to both chanels and cut off the one by disconnecting one cable or swith off if you use monoblocks

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That's not a problem when you use the moving microphone method where you play pink noise. I prefer this over sweeps.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor

Apologies I did not mention I am running a sub, an SVS 3000 micro which does a decent job picking up where the 8030s drop away. Crossing over around 55Hz. I use an UMM-6 mic & REW to calibrate. The system sounds pretty awesome (nice objective perspective there :)), just always on the hunt for improvement and optomisations....

That being said, a USB isolator may be advisable, since the D50s is unbalanced out only. At the very least, the RCA adapter cables need to be picked carefully (or even modified / custom-made) depending on the situation in order to avoid ground loop noises.

I have not been able to detect any GLN, I am using custom cables to minimise any interference and the cable runs are very short. One of the features I like about to 90SE is balanced outputs. Do you use any isolator in particular?

For 1300 look for subs (more than one) room treatment or minidsp shd.

Room treatment definitely would help, just have not got to it. WAF plays and important part here and the area I listen to this system in is heritage listed if you know what I mean. I will look into the Minidsp SHD, looks like it applies Dirac which is not my first choice but pretty good agreed. I use GLM to calibrate my primary system (not this one but more Genelecs there....).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies I did not mention I am running a sub, an SVS 3000 micro which does a decent job picking up where the 8030s drop away. Crossing over around 55Hz. I use an UMM-6 mic & REW to calibrate. The system sounds pretty awesome (nice objective perspective there :)), just always on the hunt for improvement and optomisations....
Then I actually see no way to improve your system. Just relay and enjoy.

Room treatment definitely would help, just have not got to it. WAF plays and important part here and the area I listen to this system in is heritage listed if you know what I mean. I will look into the Minidsp SHD, looks like it applies Dirac which is not my first choice but pretty good agreed. I use GLM to calibrate my primary system (not this one but more Genelecs there....).
If the itch is too strong think about the RME ADI-2 DAC. Lots of features which may come handy some day. Could use the EQ for the room.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Then I actually see no way to improve your system. Just relay and enjoy.

If the itch is too strong think about the RME ADI-2 DAC. Lots of features which may come handy some day. Could use the EQ for the room.

Many thanks. Appreciate the thoughts. Looking at the specs of the two units, I wouldn't have thought you could really hear a difference. I used an RME ADI-2 Pro at one stage and it certainly didn't give me any trouble :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks. Appreciate the thoughts. Looking at the specs of the two units, I wouldn't have thought you could really hear a difference. I used an RME ADI-2 Pro at one stage and it certainly didn't give me any trouble :)
I'm quite sure you can't hear a difference. Buy the RME for its features or if you just need to buy something (the itch), but not for better sound (apart from using its EQ and tone controls to fix problems in room and recordings).

Top Bottom