• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 14.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 82.0%

• Total voters

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Topping slowly coming for RME
Well, not really. Just look how long RME products are on the market, when (and why) there are design changes and how long products are supported. This is second to none.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Used to work in one, in fact, worked in several. Please, be more condescending, I'd positively love that.

Balanced runs should be on XLR. At the very least they're a locking connector, which, personally, I trust a heck of a lot better than a 1/4 jack (unless it's a nice locking Neutrik at the female end.)

I understand that Topping is being budget conscious here, but come on. Even if it's balanced, being on 1/4 makes me have to get my adapters out to hook it up to other balanced gear. As @Labjr said, 1/4 connectors are prone to strain failures. It looks cheap, it feels cheap. Furthermore, it's easier to identify on sight what you need rather than wasting time sorting your TS cables from TRS, etc.

Balanced outs over 1/4 inch?

That's amateur hour.
Amateurs all over the place in the pro field.

oscar_dziki

You can see that in the settings above the chart you posted.
It is -5db at 100Hz.
I see asked equalization but I (nor you) can't see its real impact on frequency response (if, and how it works!) Even if I'm going to believe that topping implemented is working as expected, let's not fool ourselves - there will be products that will mess it up, and therefore it would be good to measure the real impact that equalization has on frequency response. That's my point.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I see asked equalization but I (nor you) can't see its real impact on frequency response (if, and how it works!) Even if I'm going to believe that topping implemented is working as expected, let's not fool ourselves - there will be products that will mess it up, and therefore it would be good to measure the real impact that equalization has on frequency response. That's my point.
If I can understand what you are saying,you can see some measurements about what you want in the other review (just before the end of the review) of D50 III here:

Georgrig

A new era is indeed upon us. FiiO just released their K19, too. An all-in-one THX-based DAC/Amp with PEQ functionality. Hope we get to see it tested here soon!

HD800Fan

Well, not really. Just look how long RME products are on the market, when (and why) there are design changes and how long products are supported. This is second to none.
And what support do you need for it?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

As the EQ functionality of this DAC now requires software to operate, long term support would consist of updating that software for newer operating systems. I have a RME interface that was released in 2004 that I can still use to this day because they provide updated software. Not all manufacturers do this and given how quickly Topping pumps out / drops products I would be very surprised if the EQ functionality of this DAC was usable in 20 years.

Michael

HD800Fan

As the EQ functionality of this DAC now requires software to operate, long term support would consist of updating that software for newer operating systems. I have a RME interface that was released in 2004 that I can still use to this day because they provide updated software. Not all manufacturers do this and given how quickly Topping pumps out / drops products I would be very surprised if the EQ functionality of this DAC was usable in 20 years.

Michael
Time will tell

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Drivers for the basic functions (asio), plus added functionality over the years. An ADI-2 DAC bought early on is quite a different beast today due to a permanent flow of firmware improvements. I am not talking bug fixes here, but added functionality. It is not that I need it, but its really nice to know a company cares about existing customers.

I have one of Toppings lower midrange combos (DX3pro+) as a backup system and I really like it. Great performer, pretty good build quality, so no offense.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This and a pair of fosi v3 monos or a pa5 ii? Can't decide

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's worth checking. Could go hand in hand with the testing I proposed to Amir re checking for noise with a typical complicated set of overlapping EQ filters (eg an Oratory EQ) - that way you could also check the total EQ curve against Oratory's total EQ curve he shows in his pdf file - you'd just have to cross check a few data points along the curve to be sure it was applying correctly.

Alex_Brouwer

Henreid

A new era is indeed upon us. FiiO just released their K19, too. An all-in-one THX-based DAC/Amp with PEQ functionality. Hope we get to see it tested here soon!
At $1299.99 for the K19 we're in rather a different price range, but it does look like a sweet device (it even includes an HDMI input, which would be ideal for listening to SACDs on a Blu-ray player). I'll put in my vote to see a test report from amirm -- whenever possible!

Dave Tremblay

Audio Company
Forum Donor
That correlated noise with the low frequency EQ engaged looks like a potential issue with filter quantization, either in coefficients or internal state. It is low level with the 1kHz tone, but you might want to measure with tones that are closer to that filter if you see it in the future.

At this low level, probably not a huge issue, but that noise, if the hypothesis of cause is correct, be careful about using very low frequency filters. This problem get worse as you move lower in frequency. For example, probably don’t want to put a 20Hz high pass filter on there.

natna

Thanks @amirm !
Excellent figures!!!
Nice work Topping. And a nice price.
Great news about the PEQ!
Especially for those who use USB as the main input...

If only it had an HDMI in...

(My SMSL D-6s stays with me, though!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom