• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 barrel connector SIZE

NormB

Been all over the web on this one.

OUTSIDE diameter of the 5 vdc connectors are definitely 5.5mm, but what’s the INSIDE/PIN diameter? 2.1, or 2.5mm?

I’d like to order a “better” connector (like Oyaide from Ghent Audio) with a shielded cable instead of using the 20 gauge 2-lead zip cord supplied with the D50.

I sent them an email, but I don’t expect an answer. Thought I’d ask here among the audioscenti.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the cable that connects my D50s to my P50 PSU...

IMG_20230309_232013 (Small).jpg

OP
NormB

NormB

This is the cable that connects my D50s to my P50 PSU...

View attachment 270556
you’re measuring between which two points? The plastic or the metal contacts.

I did this and came up with EITHER 2.1x or 2.5x (I don’t recall the hundredth decimal place) depending on which, but the metal contacts measured WIDER which didn't make any sense at all.

Thanks.

OP
NormB

NormB

Noise on the supply line is already way higher than any typical external interference. zip cord is fine, really.

I’ll take that under advisement. I’m not one of these guys who buys into the voodoo magic buckeyball sauce, but it just seemed like a good idea.

I also want to get one for my phono stage linear PS to amp connector.

I might just BUY a pair of connectors (like old radio shack stock, or on my next Mouser order) of the 2.1 and 2.5 variety and see which one fits. I have some other projects I can use them for sometime.

Thanks again.

Norm

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you’re measuring between which two points? The plastic or the metal contacts.

I did this and came up with EITHER 2.1x or 2.5x (I don’t recall the hundredth decimal place) depending on which, but the metal contacts measured WIDER which didn't make any sense at all.

Thanks.

The metal contacts, with a little pressure applied (they move, which may be why you measured a larger gap).

BTW, The P50 product page states that the connector is 5.5/2.1...

1678461839322.png

OP
NormB

NormB

The metal contacts, with a little pressure applied (they move, which may be why you measured a larger gap).
Or the metal contacts are a little cockeyed/bent.

Did this AGAIN (I'm an old hand with micrometers/calipers/verniers - some of my hobbies are gunsmithing and high-power rifle handloading), got a GOOD look at the contacts and they're really oddly shaped, kind of beveled (like some tube socket contacts) MOSTLY I get about 2.13-2.15mm readings. Had to use a 4.0 diopter magnifier hood to see well - yes, ophthalmology appointment's on my "to do list."

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_6172.jpeg
    IMG_6172.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an aside, both the D50s and A50s have 5.5/2.1 barrel connectors for power, but the A50s is 15V, rather than the 5V for the D50s. It's very easy to mix them up, but at least they are both DC. My D50s was originally paired with a JDS Labs Atom which also had a 5.5/2.1 connector, but running at 15V AC which I don't think the DAC would like.

OP
NormB

NormB

Wow. I honestly didn’t expect an answer - at least not so soon- but here it is, straight outta customer service:

3178D696-98F0-4163-BF8F-184F2B920963.png

Top Bottom