• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s - My Experience

redhermes

So, based to the positive reviews here and elsewhere I bought a Topping D10s (my very first DAC). I got it from the "Everything Store" a.k.a. Amazon (US). It was sold by Aoshida HiFi-US
with a 30 day free return window.

It was great, until it wasn't. About 1 month after the return window closed it suddenly started putting out static and popping sounds on musical transients. Swapping out the D10s with another DAC fixed the problem. Per both Topping and the seller my only option is to send it back to China (at my expense). It would cost me about $20 US to do that. Then I have to wait... and hope. Because it only cost $100, it's not worth it.

That $100 loss has taught me two things (that I should have known anyway).

1. Great performance does not equate to great reliability.
2. Don't buy anything expensive directly from China without careful consideration of what happens if it fails.

Offered with the hope of saving someone else a loss.

Bob

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you buy it on a credit card that doubles the warranty? Might be worth checking if you bought it new.

Top Bottom