• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s to hp/dac combo

MrNice13

Maybe some noob questions but I still learning things too :)

I've got a New topping d10s mini that I pay nothing from a friend.

1- If I connect the USB input in my android (OTG) and from the topping RCA out feeding an headphone amp. Does my phone got enough power for the DAC?

2- If I connect the topping d10 via optical out to a dac/amp combo.. does the optical carry the files uncompressed from the d10 to the headphone amp and stay like that or it would be resampled by the end of the line dac.

3- If I can control the gain like low, med, high with a portable headphone amp before connecting the latter to another amp for more omphh, should I use the minimum gain for less distortion and more control with the headphone AMP knob.
And the sound level before getting amped 70, 80 or 100%?

Thanks guys

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe some noob questions but I still learning things too :)

I've got a New topping d10s mini that I pay nothing from a friend.

1- If I connect the USB input in my android (OTG) and from the topping RCA out feeding an headphone amp. Does my phone got enough power for the DAC?

2- If I connect the topping d10 via optical out to a dac/amp combo.. does the optical carry the files uncompressed from the d10 to the headphone amp and stay like that or it would be resampled by the end of the line dac.

3- If I can control the gain like low, med, high with a portable headphone amp before connecting the latter to another amp for more omphh, should I use the minimum gain for less distortion and more control with the headphone AMP knob.
And the sound level before getting amped 70, 80 or 100%?

Thanks guys
1. Should work but likely flatten your phone battery quickly.
2. In this case the only "dac" in the chain is the one in the end dac/amp- all the D10 is doing is bridging USB digital to SPDIF/ toslink digital, not converting to analog or otherwise changing the signal- but I would question why not feed the usb direct from source to end combo?
3. Depends on how the dongle and end amp measure and perform together. Common logic would be use unity gain (likely medium) on the dongle, volume maxed or possibly just a click or 2 under (some dac chips dont like full strength digital content) then use the amp for volume control. Lower the dongle gain/ output more if you dont have enough play on the amp knob.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

but I would question why not feed the usb direct from source to end combo?
I don't understand the question.?. I have a dac/hp amp that I would use for music but it's only optical in and rca out.
So the optical out of the d10s is just for sending info without doing is dac work if I understand.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand the question.?. I have a dac/hp amp that I would use for music but it's only optical in and rca out.
So the optical out of the d10s is just for sending info without doing is dac work if I understand.
Im with you.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

So the Douk is the only option for having a fairly good spdif extractor to use the spdif input of the hp amp I wanna use..

Top Bottom