• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tonewinner at-300 av pre pro + buckeye amp Hypex NC252MP Amplifier am I crazy?

OP
Urvile

Urvile

Oh and when I pulled out my trusty non AVR AMP (a Nakamichi Ta-3A) to test, it really really did not like driving them.
Now to it's credit, it's been in storage for 10 years, and max output is if I remember just 40 watts, per channel.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh and when I pulled out my trusty non AVR AMP (a Nakamichi Ta-3A) to test, it really really did not like driving them.
Now to it's credit, it's been in storage for 10 years, and max output is if I remember just 40 watts, per channel.
It would be hard for me to justify the cost/performance of the Tonewinner + Buckeye amp vs a receiver. If it were me I would pick one with the EQ system you want... Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, or YPAO (I think yamaha also has manual EQ as an option if that is important). Some of these receivers have a lot of power available if you are only using 3 channels.
For example the Denon/Audyssey
Onkyo/Dirac (you would need an external amp with this option IMO)
Anthem/Arc (One of the 540/740/1140
Yamaha
Arcam/Dirac , AVR5/10

Just my 2 cents Good luck.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Golfx

Forum Donor
No not planning for anything more than 3.1, if you have a better option for a AV pre-pro that doesn't cost $15000 or $17000?
The only recommended AV pre-pro recommended by ASR are $15000 and $17000 respectively
(edited for clarity)
I owned the Polk L800s and L400 previously. I believe you will need the extra power for your R700s and L400. I bet they sound amazing now and will sound even better with the new separate amp. Mine certainly did. I was driving my LCR polks with an Anthem MCA 325 yielding 400w at 4 ohms. I was using a Denon AVR A110 as a prepro. The L400 sounded so much better with the additional wattage. It really is a sterling center as @shadyj’s review pointed out. I currently use all Class D amps now, and I am very happy with them as well. Enjoy your journey and learning experience.

ZgSTar

If you want automated EQ, from my little bit of reading, the included automated EQ is poor. With something like an Denon x3700 and the $20 app, you get good subwoofer correction. And yes, you really pay a high premium on processors over 11 channels. If you wanted to do manual EQ the AT300 might be fine (I have no experience with it).
Which app are you talking about? Tnx

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which app are you talking about? Tnx
Audyssey app for ipad/iphone etc. It has configurations/settings that you can only take advantage of with the app... limiting automated correction to below whatever frequency you choose, creating room curves, etc.

OP
Urvile

Urvile

I owned the Polk L800s and L400 previously. I believe you will need the extra power for your R700s and L400. I bet they sound amazing now and will sound even better with the new separate amp. Mine certainly did. I was driving my LCR polks with an Anthem MCA 325 yielding 400w at 4 ohms. I was using a Denon AVR A110 as a prepro. The L400 sounded so much better with the additional wattage. It really is a sterling center as @shadyj’s review pointed out. I currently use all Class D amps now, and I am very happy with them as well. Enjoy your journey and learning experience.
> Trinnov Altitude 16, Oppo 203, Roon Nucleus, Apple TV, LG C9, Hypex NC1200 x 3 monoblocks (March), Hypex NC252 multi8 (Nord), driving >7.2.4 system of Perlisten s7t towers, S7c center, s4s x 6 for surrounds & front height, & revel M8 x2, SVS PB16 ultra & SVS PC4000

I just saw what you have now.. Got to say I was drooling...

Golfx

Forum Donor
> Trinnov Altitude 16, Oppo 203, Roon Nucleus, Apple TV, LG C9, Hypex NC1200 x 3 monoblocks (March), Hypex NC252 multi8 (Nord), driving >7.2.4 system of Perlisten s7t towers, S7c center, s4s x 6 for surrounds & front height, & revel M8 x2, SVS PB16 ultra & SVS PC4000

I just saw what you have now.. Got to say I was drooling...
Well thank you. I just skipped over a couple of interim purchases to buy what i really wanted.

tlin

They built it , not sure if they designed it. When I get ready to buy the unit, I'll ping @amirm and see if he wants to review it.
Lucky me I think I live maybe 10 miles from him. (That's a guess) I live in north Seattle

FYI, I was previously on the fence for the ToneWinner and reached out to Amirm. He said he'd be interested in reviewing it so do us all a favor and get on it already. :)

If the ToneWinner had support for Auro 3D I'd have bought it months ago. Keep us in the loop....

OP
Urvile

Urvile

If the ToneWinner had support for Auro 3D I'd have bought it months ago. Keep us in the loop....
DSP Chipset: Analog Devices ADSP-21573
DAC Chip: Cirrus Logic CS42528 (24 bit/192 kHz

Sad thing is the chipset from what I can tell does support Auro 3D
Also I found out who really wrote the room correction.

Nattage

Just got an at-300 to run my genelecs, 7.0
Very impressed, but my previous processor was an ADA cinema rhapsody m4 balanced so little experience of others. I sent an emotiva back and stuck with Ada a few years back.

All the hdmi stuff works, earc functions etc. Only probs I encountered were with my TV settings. Shield pro worked like a charm.

I've run the room eq and hate the sound. Incredibly harsh and bright once applied.
Could be due to having no subs, but I told it this and set cross over to none.
So I've turned it off.

I do love being able to adjust the volume of the centre chanel and surrounds with buttons on the remote. See that as handy for films where one or other are too quite or loud.

Finally I've kept my Topping EX5 in play for music. I feed that into the analogue in and play it as Pure (not direct) so bypass any Tonewinner interference (not yet A/Bd that to be sure). Shame there's not a pure button on the remote as if someone presses surround, you need the menu up to get back to Pure.

It's a keeper.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did this ever get sent to Amir? I'm looking for something that can hopefully work with my Genelec and Kali system and even without from correction just do the volume adjustments so I don't have to.

Daaadou

Did this ever get sent to Amir? I'm looking for something that can hopefully work with my Genelec and Kali system and even without from correction just do the volume adjustments so I don't have to.
I’ m interested in why it is a problem that the at300 has a crappy room correction when you have genelec with glm? Couldn’t you use the glm soft?

I’m asking because I will probably build a genelec home theater (83xx or g4/5, not sure) and a Chinese av preamp with xlr is golden !
Even though I’ll miss the hdmi2.1 for the ps5 and the 3080ti… they’ll go directly to the tv and the pre will have an optical feedback for these two.
I was looking at the denon, especially the 3700, quite cheap, but rca only, I don’t know if it is a big deal or not with a genelec set up. If it is ok, it is probably a better option in my case.

Concerning the genelec, since you are a owner, I’m a bit puzzled about the sound level they can output.
I’m considering at first a 3 way system then a 5 one.
My listening room is 6 x 5 meters (2,40m high), I’m approximately 4m50 away from the l r channel.
Will the 8340 (8350 ?) be enough to have a home cinéma experience ? Or the g five ?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ m interested in why it is a problem that the at300 has a crappy room correction when you have genelec with glm? Couldn’t you use the glm soft?

I’m asking because I will probably build a genelec home theater (83xx or g4/5, not sure) and a Chinese av preamp with xlr is golden !
Even though I’ll miss the hdmi2.1 for the ps5 and the 3080ti… they’ll go directly to the tv and the pre will have an optical feedback for these two.
I was looking at the denon, especially the 3700, quite cheap, but rca only, I don’t know if it is a big deal or not with a genelec set up. If it is ok, it is probably a better option in my case.

Concerning the genelec, since you are a owner, I’m a bit puzzled about the sound level they can output.
I’m considering at first a 3 way system then a 5 one.
My listening room is 6 x 5 meters (2,40m high), I’m approximately 4m50 away from the l r channel.
Will the 8340 (8350 ?) be enough to have a home cinéma experience ? Or the g five ?
I have Kali speakers that don't work with GLM. Have to decide if I want something that works with everything or to use GLM and get more expensive speakers in the future.

Look up direct vs reflected sound chart for Genelec speakers and you'll get a better idea of what to look for. I think the ones you mention are too small.

Daaadou

I have Kali speakers that don't work with GLM. Have to decide if I want something that works with everything or to use GLM and get more expensive speakers in the future.

Look up direct vs reflected sound chart for Genelec speakers and you'll get a better idea of what to look for. I think the ones you mention are too small.
Ok I understand for the room correction.

I have read the chart but when you go to their website, they indicate 8040 and a 7370 sub will do the trick for a mid size room.
I will probably write to them directly to be sure.

rccarguy

Very impressed, but my previous processor was an ADA cinema rhapsody m4 balanced so little experience of others. I sent an emotiva back and stuck with Ada a few years back.

All the hdmi stuff works, earc functions etc. Only probs I encountered were with my TV settings. Shield pro worked like a charm.

I've run the room eq and hate the sound. Incredibly harsh and bright once applied.
Could be due to having no subs, but I told it this and set cross over to none.
So I've turned it off.

I do love being able to adjust the volume of the centre chanel and surrounds with buttons on the remote. See that as handy for films where one or other are too quite or loud.

Finally I've kept my Topping EX5 in play for music. I feed that into the analogue in and play it as Pure (not direct) so bypass any Tonewinner interference (not yet A/Bd that to be sure). Shame there's not a pure button on the remote as if someone presses surround, you need the menu up to get back to Pure.

It's a keeper.

Same with me with tonewinner auto eq it transformed flagship speakers to ones that sound like a transistor radio.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a keeper.

Does it automatically switch inputs? For example if you are watching a movie, stop the movie and turn off the TV, and then start playback from a CD player, will it switch to the CD player?

Nattage

No I don't think it does. But I only feed it earc and from a shield which are both always on. Not experimented with other inputs not on. I have a Harmony if that was something that bothered me.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I don't think it does. But I only feed it earc and from a shield which are both always on. Not experimented with other inputs not on. I have a Harmony if that was something that bothered me.
I should see if a Harmony integrates with my phone.

Since the Chromecast was invented, the experience of using a remote is busted for me. Feels like a legacy way of interacting with things.

What input do I want? The one that is playing.

What volume button should I press? How about the one always near the users hand.

How will they find content and what about our TV interface? It will never be as good as the phone most people have on hand to type on.

What about all the other buttons on a remote? How about just turn on the TV when I say to play something, and never make me type in a channel because I should be able to find what I want on my phone.

I have an automatic optical input switcher made by some dude in Australia. Hoping to find something that is at least as capable as that $100 device.

Nattage

I keep the Harmony to avoid using my phone. I prefer buttons that light up and for family members to be able to use a complex system as though it weren't. Different strokes.
There's a harmony phone app that means you don't have to use the controller and with macros or activities as they call them, it will do what you want.

Top Bottom