• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TO connect a TV with external hard drive (<4GB file size) and 2 channel analog pre out

soundtrane

Dealer
So I am stuck with a new problem here, my TV does not do anything other than FAT32. And i have many movies that are beyond the 4GB limit, none one can ever see on Amazon/Netflix etc.

As for sound, i just want simple two channel sound, no surround sound.

I am looking all over to find a decent basic unit that can plug in between the TV and the hard drive (exFAT or NFTS or whatever that can provide >4GB file size limit) and send the signal to the TV via HDMI, 4k preferable. And as for sound, just a simple RCA output will do the job - i will use my powered Neumann KH 120A speakers.

But for huge AVRs with all kinds of bells and whistles, I am simply unable to find a solution...

Any advice on this front will be highly appreciated...

cheers,
-vin

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I am stuck with a new problem here, my TV does not do anything other than FAT32. And i have many movies that are beyond the 4GB limit, none one can ever see on Amazon/Netflix etc.

As for sound, i just want simple two channel sound, no surround sound.

I am looking all over to find a decent basic unit that can plug in between the TV and the hard drive (exFAT or NFTS or whatever that can provide >4GB file size limit) and send the signal to the TV via HDMI, 4k preferable. And as for sound, just a simple RCA output will do the job - i will use my powered Neumann KH 120A speakers.

But for huge AVRs with all kinds of bells and whistles, I am simply unable to find a solution...

Any advice on this front will be highly appreciated...

cheers,
-vin
Raspberry Pi 3b or 4 running Libreelec. You can even put your files on a network drive if you prefer.

If you have any H265 files, you'll need the Pi4

EDIT - if you want to take sound out of the Pi also get the 4. Its sound output is not brilliant but better than the 3. However, for good quality you might want to add a DAC Hat.

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
Raspberry Pi 3b or 4 running Libreelec. You can even put your files on a network drive if you prefer.

If you have any H265 files, you'll need the Pi4

EDIT - if you want to take sound out of the Pi also get the 4. Its sound output is not brilliant but better than the 3. However, for good quality you might want to add a DAC Hat.

Many thanks for your response.

My very first attempt to check on this - Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM is available here on amazon as a barebone, just the circuit board for almost ~250 USD.

Specs: 64 bit quad core cortex- A72 ARM v8, broadcom BCM2711 1.5GHz Form Factor: Nano-ITX, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE, gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac wireless at 2.4GHz and 5GHz, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, micro SD slot, 2 micro HDMI ports (supports 4k@60p), 2 lane MIPI DSI display port, 2 lane MIPI CSI camera port and 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port

My thought was why not get an Intel NUC for ~170 USD then...

Specs: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz), Max Memory size: 8GB DDR4-2400 1.2V SO-DIMM (not included), USB Configuration: 2x front and 2x rear USB 3.0; 2x USB 2.0, Integrated LAN Realtek 8111H-CG, Intel Wireless-AC 9462 + Bluetooth 5.0, (no internal storage included)

There is another one with Intel Celeron J4005 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) for ~140 USD.

Memory and internal storage to be added, Wireless/Bluetooth/LAN etc included...

KODI, LibreELEC are new to me, but i know i can find my way around it...

Once again, many thanks for your inputs and advice...

cheers,
-vin

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks for your response.

My very first attempt to check on this - Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM is available here on amazon as a barebone, just the circuit board for almost ~250 USD.

Specs: 64 bit quad core cortex- A72 ARM v8, broadcom BCM2711 1.5GHz Form Factor: Nano-ITX, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE, gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac wireless at 2.4GHz and 5GHz, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, micro SD slot, 2 micro HDMI ports (supports 4k@60p), 2 lane MIPI DSI display port, 2 lane MIPI CSI camera port and 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port

My thought was why not get an Intel NUC for ~170 USD then...

Specs: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz), Max Memory size: 8GB DDR4-2400 1.2V SO-DIMM (not included), USB Configuration: 2x front and 2x rear USB 3.0; 2x USB 2.0, Integrated LAN Realtek 8111H-CG, Intel Wireless-AC 9462 + Bluetooth 5.0, (no internal storage included)

There is another one with Intel Celeron J4005 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) for ~140 USD.

Memory and internal storage to be added, Wireless/Bluetooth/LAN etc included...

KODI, LibreELEC are new to me, but i know i can find my way around it...

Once again, many thanks for your inputs and advice...

cheers,
-vin
The Pi has been in short supply for a while and some unofficial resellers have been price gouging. Those supply difficulties are coming to an end in the very near future. (probably in the 2-3 months period rather than weeks)

See here for supply updates:

From a reputable retailer you should be able to get a kit with the Pi, case, PSU and memory card for around $100 (the 2GB version is fine for running Libreelec). Though if you are not prepared to wait for availability then a NUC at 170 is not a bad buy, but I think you'll need to add ram and storage on top of that.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out Mele Quieter and Minisforum brands of PCs. I got two of each, they are running like a charm with no issues.

If you wanna go single board linux route, would recommend OrangePi. They are much cheaper and have ok software support. Orange Pi 5 with 8 core CPU and 8GB ram is $110 on amazon.com.

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
It does seem like the short supply issue has raised the prices here in India.

I cannot find Meile Quieter or Minisforum, even Orange Pi here on Amazon.

I have an NUC in my workspace which is kind of overkill, all i need is a basic computer there for it connects to my iMac at home through the same ethernet network. I use it to access the net from time to time and for circuit diagrams etc when i am servicing something. I could certainly bring this unit down to my bedroom and replace it with a much simpler (and cheaper!) NUC.

What i have at my workplace is a NUC 10 NUC10i3FNH - Core I3 with 512GB storage and 8GB RAM - should surely suffice for the job at my TV.

I will yank it out tomorrow and try out the KODI and LibreELEC!

Many thanks Tony and IAtaman! Will report back how it all goes...

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
I figured out what i think for now is the best way.

Since i have the TV and iMac all connected to the same load balancing router (with two ISPs), an SMB connection between my TV and the iMac and all the external hard drives connected...

I tested this out yesterday with VLC on the TV and it works quite well.

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
I figured out what i think for now is the best way.

Since i have the TV and iMac all connected to the same load balancing router (with two ISPs), an SMB connection between my TV and the iMac and all the external hard drives connected...

I tested this out yesterday with VLC on the TV and it works quite well.
reporting back after ample playback testing - this SMB connection works like a charm.

Many thanks to you all for all the suggestions, really appreciate!

cheers
-vin

Top Bottom