• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time resolution of Redbook (16/44) PCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
giving away my secrets here but

psst

https://www.nativedsd.com/product-tag/pure-dsd/

Hunnia Records and Eudora Records are two that I know of so far that do native DSD recording.

Then there are analog tape-assisted labels like Blue Coast Records, whom I hope to buy some music from (but it's a bit pricey).

DSD from PCM just isn't the same. I WANT MY NATIVE DSD.
You are bothered by PCM, but not worried when a couple stages go thru reel to reel tape? That is hardly Native DSD when it goes through analog for mixing/editing along the way.

Stereo Skunk

You are bothered by PCM, but not worried when a couple stages go thru reel to reel tape? That is hardly Native DSD when it goes through analog for mixing/editing along the way.
What I like about Blue Coast Records is their ESE collection. Real acoustic environment, live takes, acoustic music. Not all of it is good though. I gotta sift through there and find some music I really like.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How can mixing and mastering in DSD be an advantage.. it’s impossible.. to do any editing other than just a plain cut, you’ll need to convert to a multibit format first.

Not what I meant, sorry... I find differences in source material, due largely to the mixing and mastering process (using whatever tools and audio formats), far outweigh the impact of the number of bits and sampling rate used in playback.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My favorite part of DSD is how the ultrasonic noise and aliasing artifacts creates audible distortion throughout the audio chain. It adds a "bit-crunchy warmth" that nyquist band-limited PCM can't dream of reproducing.

1629308672677.png

1629309355224.png

Stereo Skunk

My favorite part of DSD is how the ultrasonic noise and aliasing artifacts creates audible distortion throughout the audio chain. It adds a "bit-crunchy warmth" that nyquist band-limited PCM can't dream of reproducing.

View attachment 148254
so it creates audible distortion when you convert from PCM?

Better just record in DSD then...

Music1969

Major Contributor
BUT. what on earth does a delta sigma modulator do with DSD data? Maybe it just modulates it lol. And yes, theres for sure digital volume control on the QA361, but I did try it also with the LO.

Welcome to the wonderful 'black box' where you don't actually fully know what's happening to your precious DSD ;-)

I'm not sure any Topping DACs support 'DSD Direct' mode, even if their DAC chips do.

With RME, you enable this mode manually via on screen menu. And disable too.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops, I must have computed 1/44100 * 10e6 while thinking 10**6.

ITD = interaural time differences? In other words, RBCD can represent time differences below what humans can perceive?

What time differences can humans perceive? And under what conditions?

audio2design

Major Contributor
Nothing! It’s converted to PCM first. The DSD direct AKM DAC’s can bypass the modulator and PCM conversion.

No, like most PCM input DACs they convert to multibit Sigma Delta DAC. Single bit DACs have their issues and high bit R2R have their issues. Most DACs are sigma-delta (technologically similar to DSD) but use a multi bit DAC as opposed to single bit due to improved performance.

Reactions: j_j

audio2design

Major Contributor
DSD from PCM just isn't the same. I WANT MY NATIVE DSD.

DSD to PCM and back is a mathematical operation. It can be lossless. Mastering in native DSD makes little sense since it is mathematically intensive with no real benefit.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, like most PCM input DACs they convert to multibit Sigma Delta DAC.

Yes, eventually. But first comes the volume control (AK4093 as an example). To do that on DSD data, you’ll need to convert to some multibit format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom