• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time for new desktop speakers, Focal Alpha 50 Evo or Avantone Gauss 7

mlankton

I'd just play it safe and get the Focals, but despite the dearth of info on the Avantones I am attracted to the larger woofer, AMT tweeter (never had an AMT or ribbon) and extra amplification. I live in a rural area and demoing anything is not an option. Been living with Fostex PM04d mated with an Emotiva basX S8 sub for the last several years. I listen to a wide range of music so detail and dynamics are equally important to me. I also don't care for bright after years and years with classic Klipschs in my main listening setup back in the 80s and 90s, but I would take bright over veiled. I never appreciated the BBC sound.

So, pleasing sound would receive more weight with me than accuracy, as long as the detail is there. Lots of info on the Focals and I'd feel good about ordering them, but I just can't get these Avantones out of my head. Appreciate anyone that has anything to contribute, thank you.

OP
mlankton

mlankton

ok I'll try this once more

I get that the Focals would be a superior choice for neutrality and mixing.

I do almost everything at the computer. Web browsing, music listening, movie and sports viewing. My thought is that while the Avantone may contribute more to the sound than you'd want for work, If they have more of a hi fi profile that is flattering to the source, they may be a better choice for how I am going to use them.

I have an 8" sub that is -3dB to 37Hz, so low end extension isn't really one of my criteria. I just want the best possible experience for movies/sports/music/web browsing.

For many years I had the old Klipsch 2.1 system. It was incredibly loud and well suited to my use. When I finally wore them out Klipsch no longer produced them and I replaced them with a pair of Fostex pm04d. The Fostex have been fine, but I always felt that maybe they didn't resolve detail the way I would like them to.

I have sat here for a month knowing that it was going to be the Focals or the Avantones, but I still keep talking myself back and forth between the two. Would appreciate any feedback, thank you.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Buy both from retailers that offer return privileges. Keep whichever sounds better to you.

Really, there isn't much more that anyone can say. Room effects differ, personal preference (as to which deviations from perfect are least objectionable) differ, so you just have to try them for yourself.

MachOne

My current feeling about buying speakers unseen is that the safest bet is getting something with few directivity errors that suits your budget, desk space etc. and using EQ, either onboard with studio monitors or via PC or external DSP, to tailor the voicing to your preference. I went with the Kali LP6.

Tom C

Major Contributor
If you know us, you know that most here feel that if it hasn’t been measured, we don’t know what it is.
Further, when we have so many good choices from the measured and known, it makes little sense to gamble your hard earned dough on the untested and unknown.
Lastly, if this is all news to you, some of us will wonder why you care about what we have to say.

OP
mlankton

mlankton

two months of narrowing down my choice and talking myself into the Focals I took a Prime Day deal on some Swans M300. The Swans had actually been in my head for the last dozen or so years, and for what I paid I feel good about the choice.

The key point is that after two months of figuring out which studio monitors were going to sit on my desk for the rest of my life (I'm old lol), I decided that the sub $1000 studio monitor segment didn't have anything worth getting excited over. I get that there is a large demand for sub $1000 monitors, hence the makers all cater to that demand. But toward the end of my choice I was feeling that I'd be much better served by saving my Focal money and putting it toward Genelec or Neumann.

For my use I will likely be much happier with the flattering presentation of the Swans and the extra power for dynamics, and I am looking very much toward hearing what they do after running them in for 20 or so hours.

I very much appreciate the feedback you guys offered. Thank you.

Top Bottom