• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal announces Tidal Connect

Thalis

John Darko also just did a video update on his experience getting Tidal Connect working on Rpi. Volumio seemed to be the best option so far which requires a paid membership. I use bubbleupnp and Moode as well right now. The weakpoint is the user interface. It doesn't really work well for discovery. So I end up using the Tidal app for discovery search/browse and then "favorite" the item I want to play. Then switch over to the bubbleupnp app to send the stream to my Rpi. Also it's not gapless playback so there tends to be a large pause between songs, which for live albums is not desirable.

I also used Bubble on my phone to stream Tidal to moode. Never had any problem with gapless. But I did have the problem if I stream to Foobar on Windows :facepalm:

I understand your pain as in using the Tidal client on Windows to make favs and lists then use Bubble to play them.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also used Bubble on my phone to stream Tidal to moode. Never had any problem with gapless.
hmm. I wonder if it's a user error on my part then...[goes to research gapless playback settings on bubbleupnp and moode].

mSpot

I am a little bit bothered having to pay a yearly fee to Volumio though, on top of the Tidal subscription. I know it's not much, but it is roughly the price of a CCA which, unless I'm mistaken, provides more or less the same ease of use as Tidal Connect.

Therefore, does anyone know if Tidal Connect is on the horizon for other Raspberry Pi OS's?
On the Moode forum, the sentiment is that Tidal Connect won't be coming anytime soon, because Moode is committed to using open source code and Tidal hasn't been interested in releasing it as open source. Therefore Moode would depend on independent developers to reverse engineer Tidal Connect. Volumio worked directly with Tidal on the integration and use a proprietary library.

It's true that CCA provides a very similar experience to Tidal Connect. The main downside is lack of support for gapless playback, if that matters to you. I'm a software developer and personally I don't mind the low yearly Volumio subscription because the money supports their software development and trying to build a viable business.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Moode forum, the sentiment is that Tidal Connect won't be coming anytime soon, because Moode is committed to using open source code and Tidal hasn't been interested in releasing it as open source. Therefore Moode would depend on independent developers to reverse engineer Tidal Connect. Volumio worked directly with Tidal on the integration and use a proprietary library.

It's true that CCA provides a very similar experience to Tidal Connect. The main downside is lack of support for gapless playback, if that matters to you. I'm a software developer and personally I don't mind the low yearly Volumio subscription because the money supports their software development and trying to build a viable business.

1620071146776.png

RosalieTheDog

Thank you, that's a great point of view.

RosalieTheDog

Tidal Connect on Volumio is what has made me pull the trigger on trying the whole Raspberry Pi streaming thing. I'm curious!

I am a little bit bothered having to pay a yearly fee to Volumio though, on top of the Tidal subscription. I know it's not much, but it is roughly the price of a CCA which, unless I'm mistaken, provides more or less the same ease of use as Tidal Connect.

Therefore, does anyone know if Tidal Connect is on the horizon for other Raspberry Pi OS's?

Installed! Was easier than I thought and works like a charm so far. Went for the Pi4 with basic case and usb out to my Topping E30. Paid for the premium Volumio and Tidal connect so as not to faff about with UPNP apps or the volumio interface. Only tiny quirk is E30s standby mode being a bit confused with its usb interconnection to an always-on Pi.

Last edited:
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's great to hear! The Tidal app is just so much better UI and functionality for search/browse/discover than the third party apps like Bubbleupnp. Bubble is awesome in it's own way but it's just not able to access all the features of a service like Tidal compared to using their own App.

crowdypooster

Has anyone heard an update from Tidal regarding the Tidal Connect function for the Windows app? If I could control my desktop app from my phone, my listening wish-list would be complete!

They still have Windows listed as compatible devices for Tidal Connect on their page...

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RosalieTheDog

crowdypooster

Their site FAQ still says coming soon. At least they say they are doing it...

Can I play music on my desktop app from my mobile app?

At the moment, you can’t control your desktop app, but this feature is coming soon!

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004565898-How-to-Use-TIDAL-Connect

Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but has anyone heard of any progress with this function? I think "coming soon" has been listed on the Tidal site for going on 3 years now.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but has anyone heard of any progress with this function? I think "coming soon" has been listed on the Tidal site for going on 3 years now.
Yes, it’s a thing now and works. You just have to have a streaming device that supports Tidal Connect. I know The Bluesound Node supports it. You will just have to look for the Tidal Connect feature on each device you may be interested in. Maybe google Tidal Connect compatible devices?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it’s a thing now and works. You just have to have a streaming device that supports Tidal Connect. I know The Bluesound Node supports it. You will just have to look for the Tidal Connect feature on each device you may be interested in. Maybe google Tidal Connect compatible devices?
I think poster was referring to the desktop PC Tidal app specifically controlled by a phone etc using Connect. It wasnt operational last time I checked a few months ago.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I think poster was referring to the desktop PC Tidal app specifically controlled by a phone etc using Connect. It wasnt operational last time I checked a few months ago.
Yes, I completely missed that. Thank you Jim. :facepalm:

crowdypooster

Correct. I am referencing the "coming soon" update to Tidal that will allow for control of the desktop app by the phone app.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. I am referencing the "coming soon" update to Tidal that will allow for control of the desktop app by the phone app.
I just tried it out and and my Mac is not visible as a device to control or stream to. I tried it from my android phone and my iPad. No luck from the tidal connect or airplay/Bluetooth list of devices on either device.

Top Bottom