• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal announces Tidal Connect

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: Offical Tidal page: https://tidal.com/Connect

It looks like Tidal has created a similar functionality to Spotify Connect where you can use the Tidal app as a control point or remote control to play music on supported devices. Previously it supported Chromecast casting. I'm not sure about if it supported airplay or not. Someone else will need to chime in. It says it can cast MQA and 24 bit audio which will be a welcome improvement for folks looking to find a way to stream this type of content at it's original bit rates and formats to their home stereos while using the Tidal App user experience.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...s-track-straight-to-connected-devices-4104898

I find Spotify Connect very useful for a simple way to get around all the streaming endpoint complexities trying to get the original stream to my stereo unmolested. Spotify has been very successful in getting Connect adoption with OEMs and so I hope the Tidal implementation is simple enough that OEMs can easily adopt it like they have for Spotify Connect.

Edit: This also includes Dolby Atmos format content.

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
As my only music source is Tidal streaming, I find this very interesting. However, the list of device launch partners are the usual mainstream brands. It would be really exciting if manufacturers which regularly measure well on this site (Matrix, Topping etc. ) adopted this standard.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Very interesting! So maybe rpi based streamer with tidal MQA support is going to happen soon :)

Yes, for example, Volumio already has a plug-in for Spotify Connect. So why not Tidal Connect. I used Volumio for a few months. It really liked it's UI, but the Tidal integration was terrible.

somy

Yes, for example, Volumio already has a plug-in for Spotify Connect. So why not Tidal Connect. I used Volumio for a few months. It really liked it's UI, but the Tidal integration was terrible.
I heard (not test myself) that you can use upnp to stream tidal Mqa tracks to Volumio (you need to have sound volume 100%).

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I heard (not test myself) that you can use upnp to stream tidal Mqa tracks to Volumio (you need to have sound volume 100%).

Actually, it's not the thought of streaming of MQA that excites me. It's having the full functionality of the native Tidal app (e.g. editing Tidal playlists) packaged up with a high quality DAC.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This should definitely simplify getting the original stream format and quality directly to your DAC/AVR of choice via IP with an ethernet cable. This could be also really nice way to get Dolby Atmos format music tracks to people's home theater setups with a really simple and convenient UI that just works for people.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mSpot

Tidal Connect doesn't seem to be actually available in the app yet. Mac and PC apps were updated today but after launching both they do not see each other in the list of devices (assuming it's supposed to work like Spotify Connect). Also the release notes don't say anything about Tidal Connect.

Does anyone know if you can eq from the app?
Tidal apps (mobile and desktop) do not have an EQ feature.

Thalis

Question... is this only for the mobile app? What about the Windows client?

Thalis

AFAIK the mobile app isn't bitperfect... am I wrong? I use UAPP instead. OTOH seems I still can't use Tidal Connect when it works I suppose as I do not have all those supported devices.

mSpot

AFAIK the mobile app isn't bitperfect... am I wrong? I use UAPP instead.
Do you mean not bitperfect for USB output from the mobile app on Android? In general that is true (not bitperfect) for most Android audio apps because their output doesn't bypass Android processing. However, that wouldn't be relevant when using Tidal Connect. The case I'm personally interested in is playing Tidal from a desktop computer but controlling it from the Tidal app on a phone.

somy

My understanding is that the mobile app (controller) instructs the device (your HiFi rig, renderer) to play directly from Tidal server, and the data doesn't flow through the controller. I see it is a better setup comparing to upnp and airplay (which I assume the data flow through the controller to the renderer). I do wish they add the support for desktop software so I can use my phone to control my HTPC to play (I just tried it doesn't work at the moment).

vavan

to play directly from Tidal server, and the data doesn't flow through the controller. I see it is a better setup comparing to upnp and airplay (which I assume the data flow through the controller to the renderer
using bubbleUPnP mobile app + bubbleUPnP desktop server app it is possible to create OpenHome renderer playing Tidal without aforementioned data flow through the mobile app. combining that with say jriver wdm one can also introduce any additional dsp/processing before sending the stream to DAC. no MQA unfolding that way though if that matters

Last edited:

Thalis

Do you mean not bitperfect for USB output from the mobile app on Android? In general that is true (not bitperfect) for most Android audio apps because their output doesn't bypass Android processing. However, that wouldn't be relevant when using Tidal Connect. The case I'm personally interested in is playing Tidal from a desktop computer but controlling it from the Tidal app on a phone.

yes that's what I meant... the app has no option to bypass the Android processing even if you use the phone's onboard DAC unless you use UAPP (for both onboard DAC and USB output).

Thalis

using bubbleUPnP mobile app + bubbleUPnP desktop server app it is possible to create OpenHome renderer playing tidal without aforementioned data flow through the mobile app. combining that with say jriver wdm one can also introduce any additional dsp/processing before sending the stream to DAC. no MQA unfolding that way though if that matters

I use bubble on my mobile too to control my RPi streamer with Foobar2000 as my media server. Don't really care for MQA but I did purchase that option in UAPP just to satisfy my curiosity.

bYOndo

I'm lazier , I simply use Splashtop (a generic pc mirroring to mobile device) to control desktop Tidal with my Ipad. IMO the "connect" function is one of the most awaited feat. (and one Spotify selling point over Tidal)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Just tried it out with a Node 2. Works OK from Android phone and iPad.

Also, for the “can’t live without gapless brigade“, tried it with Abbey Road. Gapless seems to work OK too.

Only odd thing I noticed is the track time only updates every 5 seconds.

Top Bottom