• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX AAA 789 Worth the purchase?

TSFAN

Hi guys, I've been reading the forum for a while now, and couldn't help but finally register for an account with Massdrop bringing back a bunch of quality products.

I currently have a pair of DT 1990 Pro and a couple pairs of high-end iems. I have just gotten into the headphone world with the Beyers which results in running them temporarily with a dap... It is definitely lacking in power... I have ordered the THX AAA 789 from massdrop, but the wait time is killing me. Since the DT 1990 Pro can't even run balanced, should I just get the JDS atom instead? The main hesitation is that I would probably get a Focal Elex in a while, which is able to run balanced. So I feel that the THX AAA 789 would be future proofed. In addition, I am not sure if I understood it correctly, but the JDS atom is not he best for iems while the THX AAA 789 has a low gains setting more suitable for iems?

Regarding DACs, from the threads I've read, I gathered that the SMSL su8 which is currently on massdrop would be a nice fit. However, the DX7s just got to drop, should I just get the DX7s and be done with instead of going the separate route?

One last question is that will I be able to connect my dap as source to the SMSL su8? What would be the best option between coax, 3.5mm out, or usb?

Thanks a lot!

Tks

Major Contributor
Many folks make this difficult on themselves.

All of the devices you've mentioned are most probably audibly transparent in normal listening sessions (not test tone sweeps conducted using low ambient noise environments with full concentration allowing one to pick up on things like the "ESS hump" for example).

If you want to be sure with respect to buying something and being "done" and all you look for is performance, then the THX 789 is a safe bet.

But the problem is, you're asking for advice when you yourself don't know if you'll be running balanced in the future with the "probable" Focal's you'll be getting. You're simply introducing too many variables for a person to give advice for.

Again.. we need to know what you value most(looks, performance, features), or what you know for sure will be using in the near future (single ended, or balanced) to make a valid assessment.

There is one instance I think would be work waiting for, and that is the long awaited DX7Pro, I feel it's worth waiting for that perhaps to see how that all pans out. Or simply ordering the THX 789 regardless and feel safe you can sell it for what you invested into it whenever it does arrive (though the November 15th date seems a bit optimistic to me, unless Massdrop has serious put their butts to work on unit output this time).

Also what people need to start realizing is, this whole performance issue with separates needs to be approached differently. It's the same way you would look at PC parts. You need to look at your bottlenecks. The 789 performs far better than the SU-8 in terms of distortion/noise metrics, so in that case any lacking portions of the setup will be made manifest by the SU-8 as it is the bottleneck. Likewise if you were to connect a Matrix Audio DAC that measures extremely well, and you pair it up with a Magni 3 amp, the Magni is the bottleneck responsible for any distortion/noise you perceive.

Personally speaking, the whole "power" issue is blown out of proportion in my book. I can get my RME DAC to play loud enough on low-gain where my ears would start shaking, and that's using 300 ohm HD6XX's. With IEM's my ears are being blown to pieces at -20db from the IEM 3.5mm port. I simply lack the understanding of what people mean when they say something "needs more power" unless they're at max volume and don't hear as loud as they find preferential.

The THX for example, based on the power metrics I've seen on the balanced output feels like it would blow headphone drivers if taken to near-max. But I understand they wanted no stone left un-turned where even 600 ohm cans would have no problem being driven.

As for the Atom and you being concerned with IEM usage, I've not heard of reports of hissing, so no thoughts on that.

As for connecting your DAP, Optical or USB should be fine (though I don't have a DAP anymore so I don't know if there would be any initilization or recognition issues)

Top Bottom