• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread dedicated to the Topping A50S

RHO

Major Contributor
I think this behaviour is desired. You wouldn't want the full, unattenuated signal to suddenly hit a power amp or powered monitors when the A50s is turned off.
It is undesired if you want to use the volume control on the amp if you're not using your headphones.
I'm thinking about getting the L50 for this reason. It has pass trough outputs, which are more convenient in this situation.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is undesired if you want to use the volume control on the amp if you're not using your headphones.

You can leave the A50s switched on for this functionality. Of course, then you have to unplug your headphones to switch to pre-amp mode which some people don't like. I found this a little annoying myself when I used my x50 stack on my desk. I switched the x50 stack out for the EX5, mainly for the balanced connections, but also because it has a 'proper' switchable pre-amp mode and remembers headphone and pre-amp volumes independently.

RHO

Major Contributor
You can leave the A50s switched on for this functionality. Of course, then you have to unplug your headphones to switch to pre-amp mode which some people don't like. I found this a little annoying myself when I used my x50 stack on my desk. I switched the x50 stack out for the EX5, mainly for the balanced connections, but also because it has a 'proper' switchable pre-amp mode and remembers headphone and pre-amp volumes independently.
That's not the point. The point is that I don't want the have 2 volume controls in series. I want to have the full output of the at the input of the amp and use the volume control on the amp for attenuation. Mainly because headphones and speakers need quite different volume settings.
And I want the functionality that switches between headphone amp and pass trough/pre-amp when plugging in/ unplugging the headphones. I like it that way.

Both options have advantages and disadvantages. It just depends on how your audio chain is set up.

Mataempat

That's not the point. The point is that I don't want the have 2 volume controls in series. I want to have the full output of the at the input of the amp and use the volume control on the amp for attenuation. Mainly because headphones and speakers need quite different volume settings.
And I want the functionality that switches between headphone amp and pass trough/pre-amp when plugging in/ unplugging the headphones. I like it that way.

Both options have advantages and disadvantages. It just depends on how your audio chain is set up.
I hear you. This was my main gripe with the whole x50 stack when I first got it. But now, I just dont care. I set my amp to 60% volume, my powered studio monitors at 60% as well and control the whole volume via the DAC with the supplied remote. Before this I maxed out the DAC and control the volume via the A50s amp but since I've moved the setup from my PC to my "music station" near the dining hall, I just use the remote control.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question often asked on ASR (paraphrased): Why do Topping make so many different models and combinations of DACs, HP Amps and DAC/HP Amps all with differing price points, features and functionalities?

Answer: See below...

Another question often asked on ASR (also paraphrased): Why doesn't Topping device X do exactly what I want it to do for my specific use case?

Answer: See above...

:)

yavormoskov

See post #225 :)
Frankly, I found a device that can do it all but the amplifier section is a little bit weak - the new Sabaj A20d. And not sure if it's going to drive my Hifiman Edition XS very well. The A50s can drive them well at 55-60% on low gain.

Top Bottom