• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread dedicated to the Topping A50S

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have question about the D50s/A50s: I am using the volume control on D50s (via remote) and I have the A50s set to max and 0 gain. Should I set the A50s volume knob a bit below max instead? With the Senn 599s the D50s is typically between -40db and -30db

Is there any benefit to setting the A50s to max and controlling volume with the D50s? Or do you just want to use the remote?

I find the small volume knob on the A50s a little fiddly; especially compared to the knurled knob i'd installed on my Atom and when using the balanced output. The joystick on the D50s is not great either. I already use headphone button on the D50s to control the power to my monitors (via IR mains switch), maybe usig the remote for volume is the way to go, but it feels a little strange when the manual controls are within arms reach :)

*edit* On the other hand, it could be an excuse to spend £20 on the Topping RC21 aluminium remote :)

Idea for @JohnYang1997 - How about adding an IR sensor to the P50 to create the P50s that powers down the whole stack?

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

I am using the remote because the only space I have is on a shelf above and recessed back from my desktop.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am using the remote because the only space I have is on a shelf above and recessed back from my desktop.
Probably better to turn the A50s volume down a bit and look to run the D50s at around -10 to -15 db.

I use my remote in exactly the way that you are describing and find it invaluable.

TomB19

I wish Topping would release a Raspberry Pi case to match the P50/D50s/A50s for a fully matching desktop stack.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I wish Topping would release a Raspberry Pi case to match the P50/D50s/A50s for a fully matching desktop stack.
Stick the RPi out of sight. Or embrace the "mismatch".

TomB19

Stick the RPi out of sight. Or embrace the "mismatch".

A simple, "Life sucks. Deal with it." would suffice. lol!

The A50s chassis format would be an amazing RPi case It could even have a little heat pipe out the back to a radiator surface.

Perhaps I will mod my A50 into an RPi case, after the A50s arrives.

TomB19

Idea for @JohnYang1997 - How about adding an IR sensor to the P50 to create the P50s that powers down the whole stack?

We're hitting John with product ideas. I'll bet this is annoying but also an awesome demonstration of Topping's franchise value.

I use a wiFi outlet to controll the stack. Cost something like 12 bucks. Works slick. That switch on the back was put there to upset users. lol!

ffman

Hi everyone, newbie here. I just received my a50s and I'm also having some weird buzzing issues between 75-100% volume when conencted to the RCA inputs. Im feeding it from the d50s and I've swapped the interconnect cables to a set of JDS labs branded cables with no effect. I've also noticed a bit of a buzz when I insert a cable into 1/4 inch headphone jack at these volume levels (with nothing connected to the amp and power on). My setup atm is Laptop>USB>d50s>RCA>a50s with the d50s being fed from a usb wall wart. I've also tried plugging in a walkman via line out into the amp with 2 different cables and still no change in the buzzing. Sorry for the info dump but any help would be appreciated
Thanks

raif71

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, newbie here. I just received my a50s and I'm also having some weird buzzing issues between 75-100% volume when conencted to the RCA inputs. Im feeding it from the d50s and I've swapped the interconnect cables to a set of JDS labs branded cables with no effect. I've also noticed a bit of a buzz when I insert a cable into 1/4 inch headphone jack at these volume levels (with nothing connected to the amp and power on). My setup atm is Laptop>USB>d50s>RCA>a50s with the d50s being fed from a usb wall wart. I've also tried plugging in a walkman via line out into the amp with 2 different cables and still no change in the buzzing. Sorry for the info dump but any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Try replacing your laptop with a DAP or phone and see if the buzzing is still there.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have the RCA outputs of the A50s connected to anything?

I swapped non-earthed monitors (Tannoy Reveal 402's) for earthed monitors (iLoud MTM's) and instantly created a ground loop (and associated noise) between my PC, D50s, A50s and MTMs. I had to buy a cheap USB isolator to insert between the PC and D50s to fix the issue.

And welcome to ASR!

ffman

Try replacing your laptop with a DAP or phone and see if the buzzing is still there.
I need to get a ligtning to usb adapter but I will try that tomorow. Thanks!!

Do you have the RCA outputs of the A50s connected to anything?

I swapped non-earthed monitors (Tannoy Reveal 402's) for earthed monitors (iLoud MTM's) and instantly created a ground loop (and associated noise) between my PC, D50s, A50s and MTMs. I had to buy a cheap USB isolator to insert between the PC and D50s to fix the issue.

And welcome to ASR!
Nope, RCA output isn't connected to anything. Thanks for the welcome, I wish that I could've introduced myself under better circumstances but I appreciate everyone's patience and guidance

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I have my AKG K371 plugged into my A50s/D50s/P50 stack and I can hear zero noise when turning up the volume on the A50s volume to 100%. I have noticed that the USB connection from my work laptop (Lenovo X390 Yoga) is extremely noisy when connected to it's PSU or USB docking station. Have you tried pulling the power and running your laptop off battery? (You mentioned running the A50s from a Walkman, which suggests this is not a ground loop issue via the D50s/Laptop chain, but I just want to confirm your setup - I assume you disconnected everything else from the A50s when driving it with the Walkman?)

ffman

You mentioned running the A50s from a Walkman, which suggests this is not a ground loop issue via the D50s/Laptop chain, but I just want to confirm your setup - I assume you disconnected everything else from the A50s when driving it with the Walkman?)

That is correct, everything was disconnected from the A50s except for the walkman. In this test scenario the chain was Walkman>Line out (3.5 mm dual rca cable)>A50s. I also tried another 3.5mm-dual rca cable to no avail.

FWIW, I have my AKG K371 plugged into my A50s/D50s/P50 stack and I can hear zero noise when turning up the volume on the A50s volume to 100%. I have noticed that the USB connection from my work laptop (Lenovo X390 Yoga) is extremely noisy when connected to it's PSU or USB docking station. Have you tried pulling the power and running your laptop off battery?

you know I hadn't considered that but trying it out it made no difference. Whether plugged in or on battery the buzz is still there, although I will say that with the laptop on battery power it is less notable (but that could just be me).

I've ordered another set of cables just to fully rule them out and I'll give them a try when they get here tomorrow (Also ordered a lightning to usb adapter so ill give that a shot as well.)

Also I dont think I've mentioned this but i am using a pair of hd650s (on loan to test from a dear friend) to plug into the amp. I switched to my own pair of porta pros (I know not the best) but alas still buzzing.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks
To find the cause, do the following:

1. Is there any change in noise when the USB cable is removed?
2. Is there any change in noise when the RCA cable connected to A50 is removed?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Is the A50s near any other potential sources of radio frequency interference? (cordless phones, wi-fi routers/access points, smart speakers, etc.)

2. Is there anything else plugged into the same (or adjacent) AC outlet as the A50s?

ffman

To find the cause, do the following:

1. Is there any change in noise when the USB cable is removed?
2. Is there any change in noise when the RCA cable connected to A50 is removed?

Thanks for the suggestion Toku here are my findings
1.) no appreciable difference when the usb is removed
2.) buzz is still perceptable when rca is unplugged (while the a50s is on) but not as loud. When I power cycle (i.e turn it on and off) the a50s after removing all input and output cables it sound fine (like an abyss tottaly blacked out with no noise)

1. Is the A50s near any other potential sources of radio frequency interference? (cordless phones, wi-fi routers/access points, smart speakers, etc.)

2. Is there anything else plugged into the same (or adjacent) AC outlet as the A50s?

The amp is away from those sources. It is plugged into to a surge protctor strip so I tried connecting it to a sperate dedicated outlet with little no change. Using my walkman (battery powered) is still buzzes and with the dac is still buzzes (I've connected the dac to its own power supply seperate from the pc and the pc is running on battery power)

*Update* I think at this point I may have gotten a returned defective unit from amazon (I didn't pay attention to this earlier but I noticed there were no seals on the a50s box and the accessories were without their plastic packaging). The d50s works fine with the JDS atom amp that I've been trialing alongside the hd650s so ill just send back the amp and buy from a more reputable source. Thanks everyone for your help, I truly appreciate , but I don't want to clutter up this thread even more when a return is probably the quickest and most painless way to solve my problem.

Last edited:

syliu

Hello guys! I just received my A50s not too long ago and one thing I noticed is if I turn the amp on with headphones in or speakers on the preamp I hear an audio pop. Its not too loud but noticeable. Generally I don't plug in/power on gear until the amp is on, but I forgot to turn off my speakers one night and didn't notice until I powered the amp on in the morning. I had assumed that all amps these days use muting relays on power up so you don't hear anything. Is this normal behavior for this amp?

Last edited:

kkeretic

Hello guys! I just received my A50s not too long ago and one thing I noticed is if I turn the amp on with headphones in or speakers on the preamp I hear an audio pop. Its not too loud but noticeable. Generally I don't plug in/power on gear until the amp is on, but I forgot to turn off my speakers one night and didn't notice until I powered the amp on in the morning. I had assumed that all amps these days use muting relays on power up so you don't hear anything. Is this normal behavior for this amp?

Both of my A50s (I mean 2x A50, not A50s) do the same on tuning them on/off. Slight pop on headphones, but really light and quiet, nothing I would worry about. My A50s has also arrived today as the replacement for returned L30, will test it later when I get home.

Edit: just for the record, my brand new A50s behaves the same as A50 when turning on. But it is completely silent when turning off. So I guess it's normal.

Last edited:

syliu

Both of my A50s (I mean 2x A50, not A50s) do the same on tuning them on/off. Slight pop on headphones, but really light and quiet, nothing I would worry about. My A50s has also arrived today as the replacement for returned L30, will test it later when I get home.

Edit: just for the record, my brand new A50s behaves the same as A50 when turning on. But it is completely silent when turning off. So I guess it's normal.

Thanks for checking! I see the same behavior, silent when turning off. Probably unlikely that this isn’t normal then. Anyways it’s probably better practice to make sure your gear is off before powering on.

The whole deal with the L30 just made me slightly nervous considering the A50s was newer than the L30 (I know it’s a different circuit but can’t help but wonder).

OP
H

Human Bass

Ok, so my A50S is picking up a fm radio station (94.3mhz) via rca. I tested 3 shorts, well shielded cables. Im kinda bummed. When I move the cables, the radio interference gets even stronger, like adjusting an antenna.

Top Bottom