• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Things that cannot be measured"

BluesDaddy

Each has a long entry in the Wikipedia... (I honestly do not know how we’ve got here, nor where/if to go next. :) )
Probably best to drop it altogether. I've the sense a moderator will chime in soon to that effect.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
How much ransom is the parent willing to pay to the kidnaper :cool:
Can be measured but not repeatable and/or repeat results would invalidate previous results. Playing Devils advocate.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Emotions are measurable. Not every measurement has to be numerical. Qualitative analysis of data is a legitimate pursuit.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Emotions are measurable. Not every measurement has to be numerical. Qualitative analysis of data is a legitimate pursuit.
Interesting, mind expounding on how?

Ingenieur

My opinion:
Any change in the electrical signal or sound pressure generated by it can be measured.

A human can't hear a change that is not detected in those signals.

Changes can be measured that a human can't detect.

Some can hear changes that others can't but it still can be measured. People's hearing is the limiting factor, not the instrumentation.

How often do people have their hearing evaluated? The goal should be the absolute lowest degradation of the signal, imo you can't improve it. You can change it to suit preference. Perhaps in the digital domain you can manipulate it, but improve it?

AdamG

Forum Donor
My opinion:
Any change in the electrical signal or sound pressure generated by it can be measured.

A human can't hear a change that is not detected in those signals.

Changes can be measured that a human can't detect.

Some can hear changes that others can't but it still can be measured. People's hearing is the limiting factor, not the instrumentation.

How often do people have their hearing evaluated? The goal should be the absolute lowest degradation of the signal, imo you can't improve it. You can change it to suit preference. Perhaps in the digital domain you can manipulate it, but improve it?
Welcome Aboard @Ingenieur.

Ingenieur

What about consciousness (self-awareness) and conscience (Inner voice)?
Those are beyond the control of equipment designers. Some times beyond the control of the individual.
You can't account for the individuals biological processing mechanism.

BinkieHuckerback

Interesting, mind expounding on how?
Qualitative measurement is an accepted research method in social sciences. Recording and examining people's experiences. I did an MSc in dementia studies with the University of Bradford. My dissertation was about the experience of people attending a group looking at the services provided for people with memory problems, for example.

dtaylo1066

http://www.darkoaudio.com/

This link is Novick's most recent interview on a Darko podcast, and below a link to an upcoming AES Listening vs. Measurements presentation.

It would seem to me that given people's hearing reponse according to Novick's tests of amplifier distortion (clipping at 30%) vs. crossover distortion (at 3%) leaves me to think our speakers are the weak link and best thing to focus on, particularly if one enjoys higher volume levels, but we tend more to debate about amps and DACs and their accuracy of reproduction. Amir is now posting some great data on speakers too, and all have signficantly more distortion or flaws than the other components. And speakers and listening to them must contend with all types of issues such as room acoustics, off-axis response, different cone materials and breakup modes, analog crossovers vs DSP, etc. And our beloved stereophonic sound is an illusion of sound in space. Maybe Siegfried Linkwitz's LX-Mini sounds so good to me because it's response and crossover are crafted through extensive, measurement-based digital equilization. It does not even use a tweeter, but rather a 3" wideband manipulated via DSP.

Upcoming Meeting: AES SGS Research Colloquium #5: Listening Tests vs. Measurements

BluesDaddy

http://www.darkoaudio.com/

This link is Novick's most recent interview on a Darko podcast, and below a link to an upcoming AES Listening vs. Measurements presentation.

It would seem to me that given people's hearing reponse according to Novick's tests of amplifier distortion (clipping at 30%) vs. crossover distortion (at 3%) leaves me to think our speakers are the weak link and best thing to focus on, particularly if one enjoys higher volume levels, but we tend more to debate about amps and DACs and their accuracy of reproduction. Amir is now posting some great data on speakers too, and all have signficantly more distortion or flaws than the other components. And speakers and listening to them must contend with all types of issues such as room acoustics, off-axis response, different cone materials and breakup modes, analog crossovers vs DSP, etc. And our beloved stereophonic sound is an illusion of sound in space. Maybe Siegfried Linkwitz's LX-Mini sounds so good to me because it's response and crossover are crafted through extensive, measurement-based digital equilization. It does not even use a tweeter, but rather a 3" wideband manipulated via DSP.

Upcoming Meeting: AES SGS Research Colloquium #5: Listening Tests vs. Measurements
Until the "high end" took over, it was "common wisdom" in the hi-fi world to spend at least half your budget for a system on loudspeakers.

Top Bottom