• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Jds81

I'm not sure I would call it 'music' if the performers weren't all playing together in one studio and at the same time. I realise this eliminates perhaps 90% of modern 'music', but it makes no sense to me to sell a hamburger as a steak.

S
Well you might have excluded tons of music without realizing. Studio albums are rarely live as you describe. Maybe the "scratch track" then it's off to the booth to redo vocals, overdub guitars, bass, etc.
Steak tartare, anyone?

Tangband

Major Contributor
If pop and rock music bring back the melodies and pace again and play together avoiding clicktrack - then we will see a big rise in popularity using hifi. Music should be fun to listen to and If its not - there no meaning of having a good stereo.

Yes - there is something very wrong with todays music.
This album shows what all pop/rock music should sound like:
9AF4B81F-0615-453C-8C2D-45243612CF0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Jds81

If pop and rock music bring back the tunes and pace again and play together avoiding clicktrack - then we will see a big rise in popularity using hifi. Music should be fun to listen to and If its not - there no meaning of having a good stereo.

Yes - there is something very wrong with todays music.
So everyone uses a click track now? And no bands play together in studio now, but they all used to?
Look up some of the "making of" any famous studio album- you just might find out it wasn't a band jamming away. Not saying all, but overdubbing is a real, widely used, and not new thing.
Click track, I dunno, how long did it take someone to record a metronome, pipe it into headphones to keep the drummer on time?
Everyone waits on the drums in studio, it eats time.

Tangband

Major Contributor
There's nothing wrong with modern music at all. Some of it we like, some of it we don't. As has always been the case.
Rap music is very wrong - it makes you tone deaf. This music wasnt popular in the 1970-80.

Jds81

Rap music misses two eccential elements - melodies and real musicians playing together , the main fundamental of good rock and popmusic .
Your views are, very fortunately, irrelevant to what music is, and what music is good. Plus, you're wrong about rap music, it can include melody and is played by on traditional rock instruments. See The Roots for a high profile example.
I'll repeat my very first post:
Just say NO to music gatekeepers.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Ordinary pop has in 2022 been totaly destroyed by the curse of auto-tune . This is really bad for the feeling in the music . There are singers in the studio who cant sing.
Listening to this music makes your emotions dull and lifeless. It takes away much of the humanity of the music .

Extended time of listening to such music lowers your IQ as much as 20 points ( average is 100 ) .

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Regarding pop and rock music: I think it was when the click-track recordings started to take over, and when the musicians stopped playing together at the same time as a band on the recordings, this is where the musical pace and feeling died on many records.
Technical ”perfect” with computer programs correcting the beats, then turned out to be less musical, less fun to listen to , and less rythmical.

Rap music is a very primitive music style, where the vocals have been robbed the ability to make tunes. Its a mystery why Its still so popular, and maybe this musicform is one of the enemy of future progress in hifi. This musicstyle make people tone-deaf and should be avoided.
Clearly never actually listened to rap :D. Or maybe its just a tad too complex for you to follow, which is most likely the case.

An album like Madvillainy is easily one of the best albums all time. Not just just in hip-pop but in all of music. Extremely creative in terms of beats, flow, lyrics, sampling, story telling, style. Its ok if its not your thing, but if you call this primitive that makes 99% of all music made ever primitive (especially something like The Pollice, that is some basic music). I'm not the greatest hip-hop fan there is, but neither am I of any other genre. All genres have good and bad music. Its like your argument is that poems aren't novels. Yes we know. Poems are their own thing. I see a lot of similarities between poems and rap.

Some """"primitive"""" rhymes for you.

Rap music is very wrong - it makes you tone deaf. This music wasnt popular in the 1970-80.
Tone deaf? That's weird, because I see rappers performing live with live instruments and beats all the time? The vast majority of them are also multi instrumentalists.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And even for the ones that are almost entirely based on lyrics, some of those lyrics are freaking incredible. I’m a Clipping fan. Listen to Shooter, Nobody’s Safe, or Shut Down the Club. Plus I love how the borrow from the horror genre.

Also, would Skinny Puppy be auto(de)tuned rap?

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ordinary pop has in 2022 been totaly destroyed by the curse of auto-tune . This is really bad for the feeling in the music . There are singers in the studio who cant sing.
Listening to this music makes your emotions dull and lifeless. It takes away much of the humanity of the music .

Extended time of listening to such music lowers your IQ as much as 20 points ( average is 100 ) .
'Extended time of listening to such music lowers your IQ as much as 20 points ( average is 100 ) .'
Citation needed.

Jds81

I'm glad your trolling has produced some nice rebuttals, and suggestions of new artists for me to check out. I'd rather burn my IQ points on them.
Peace.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm glad your trolling has produced some nice rebuttals, and suggestions of new artists for me to check out. I'd rather burn my IQ points on them.
Peace.
If you want to dive into MF DOOM (Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name) I'm not sure if I'd start with Madvillainy (or Mm...Food or Operation: Doomsday) as a new listener. I might go with Danger Doom, which is a project of MF DOOM and Danger Mouse (who you probably know) and is a bit easier to get into. Madvillainy is probably the most creative though. The guy's rhyme scheme's and wit are insane (+ Madlib is pretty nuts when it comes to sampling and the beats on this album).

Tash prefers “they”.
I didn't know that, learned something new, thanks.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always found it morbidly amusing the way some people who don't like rap think that out-competing each other in bashing it makes them seem cultured and intellectual.

I've never really liked any rap/hip-hop which wasn't parody but it's popularity does not wound my very soul. ;)

Jds81

If you want to dive into MF DOOM (Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name) I'm not sure if I'd start with Madvillainy (or Mm...Food or Operation: Doomsday) as a new listener. I might go with Danger Doom, which is a project of MF DOOM and Danger Mouse (who you probably know) and is a bit easier to get into. Madvillainy is probably the most creative though. The guy's rhyme scheme's and wit are insane.
I am a fan of MF DOOM! Broke my heart that he passed. Danger Mouse, musical polymath
Kinda crazy how much Adult Swim fostered great and avant garde music. Flying Lotus being another monster of music that crushes genre expectations

Top Bottom