• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think about stuff like Donuts or Endtroducing (Instrumental sample based hiphop)?

Never heard of them before, but after a quick YT search the all sampling and probably full of inside references gets makes it seem like a much more subdued version of the sub-sub-sub genre of lolicore which I enjoy.

makinao

That guy on the left with the guitar is never going to be heard! He could be playing a completely different tune and no one would notice. Banjos are LOUD ... ;-)

And don't forget that pinnacle of culture the mandolin orchestra:

blog-mandolins-053014-1423594009.jpg

In the Philippines we have the "Rondalla", an ensemble adapted from the Spanish "Banduria".

9-kabataang-silay-rondalla-ensemble-2.jpg

goat76

Major Contributor
Cool, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially about "bands". I will point out that what you're describing as an "overdub" sounds more like a "punch in" which is a short section, flubbed note, seamlessly replaced- this happens on "Live" tour albums too. But none of that is universal. These are studio tools, they can be used or abused, or ignored altogether.
What I meant to counter was the idea that any studio tool is or was the death knell of music.
Some musical acts defy all the rules, and still offer up stunning art.
No, overdubbing is everything you do when you are adding things to an already existing recording, like recording the vocal track, adding a guitar solo, or an extra instrument to the mix.

From the dictionary and it's almost a replica of what I just wrote. I wrote it, then I googled it. :)

verb (used without object), o·ver·dubbed, o·ver·dub·bing. to add other recorded sound or music, as a supplementary instrumental or vocal track, to a taped musical track to complete or enhance a recording.

Jds81

No, overdubbing is everything you do when you are adding things to an already existing recording, like recording the vocal track, adding a guitar solo, or an extra instrument to the mix.

From the dictionary and it's almost a replica of what I just wrote. I wrote it, then I googled it. :)

verb (used without object), o·ver·dubbed, o·ver·dub·bing. to add other recorded sound or music, as a supplementary instrumental or vocal track, to a taped musical track to complete or enhance a recording.
Perhaps my terms have become outdated. When I did do recording a punch in was to fix an oops. And overdub was a full supplemental take, layering over. All that would differ from comping, taking various separate takes and parts of takes to form a final track.
I fully accept I could be wrong on the semantics.
I was active on Apple Logic user groups in early 2000s, so things have changed, memory has faded.
Edit: I realize I didn't read your original post well enough. You did describe overdubbing, as well as some things I would interpret as a punch in. Difference being overdub you want to hear original and the additional, punch in you want to replace a sour note and not hear that small original part.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Go for artists that do. I mean, there's plenty on the section of "rock" I listen to, so it's quite possible than on the other subgenres, there are plenty who still play together.

I think Regatta de Blanc is more rounded. I'm partial to Ghost in the Machine not so much for the music but due to the reference to Koestler (i got some papers around his works) and the very dark tone of the album. ;)
Ghost in the machine is just as good , maybe even better . :)

Its important also to understand that a good hifi system make those good records sound even better, educates your kids and make them more intelligent .

A bad hifisystem , no matter how expensive, wrongly set up in the room dont bring those advantages .

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ghost in the machine is just as good , maybe even better . :)

Its important also to understand that a good hifi system make those good records sound even better, educates your kids and make them more intelligent .

A bad hifisystem , no matter how expensive, wrongly set up in the room dont bring those advantages .
Good or bad system, there is no evidence that listening or performing music makes any difference to intelligence. If you know of studies that back up your claim, post them. Otherwise its just more noise.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
What do you think about stuff like Donuts or Endtroducing (Instrumental sample based hiphop)?

Are we talking about the DJ Shadow epic? If so, yes, more evidence that "today's music" is at the very least sporadically brilliant.

Endtroducing is more foundational than "today" but that's my millennial timeframe, not the crusty boomer chronology. :)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
And even for the ones that are almost entirely based on lyrics, some of those lyrics are freaking incredible. I’m a Clipping fan. Listen to Shooter, Nobody’s Safe, or Shut Down the Club. Plus I love how the borrow from the horror genre.

Also, would Skinny Puppy be auto(de)tuned rap?

Well, clipping. are fabulous. As are many of their contemporaries in experimental rap.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Are we talking about the DJ Shadow epic? If so, yes, more evidence that "today's music" is at the very least sporadically brilliant.

Endtroducing is more foundational than "today" but that's my millennial timeframe, not the crusty boomer chronology. :)
Yes, its foundational buy it was more a question in general (because the person I responded to said he didn't like rap/hiphop apart from parodies) than about this threads topic.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yes, its foundational buy it was more a question in general (because the person I responded to said he didn't like rap/hiphop apart from parodies) than about this threads topic.

Understood, I was really just qualifying my own description re todays's music (given the OP linked to a survey that defined new as ≤18 months old). I didn't mean to imply that anyone in particular was crusty.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think theres is something wrong with todays music….:)

1. No melodies.
2. Autotune If there are melodies.
3. Clicktrack eliminating the ”pace” and ”groove” factor in the music.

The result is music that wont rock your socks off. Its boring.

There you have it - fix this and hifi will be on everyones agenda again.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Reflecting on some of the narrative keystones of the OP's lament, and @Tangband's reactionary/ahistorical nonsense (no offence) Endtroducing (and seminal predecessors like Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back) trace back to musique concrète from the 1940s and further to André Cœuroy's 1928 prediction that "perhaps the time is not far off when a composer will be able to represent through recording, music specifically composed for the gramophone."

In other words, narratives about the wrongness of bands no longer recording by "playing together" or artists creating successful output without some sort of apprenticeship served via "live gigs" reflect a view of music so archaic and limited that we have seen wider scope theorised and practiced for around a century.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Reflecting on some of the narrative keystones of the OP's lament, and @Tangband's reactionary/ahistorical nonsense (no offence) Endtroducing (and seminal predecessors like Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back) trace back to musique concrète from the 1940s and further to André Cœuroy's 1928 prediction that "perhaps the time is not far off when a composer will be able to represent through recording, music specifically composed for the gramophone."

In other words, narratives about the wrongness of bands no longer recording by "playing together" or artists creating successful output without some sort of apprenticeship served via "live gigs" reflect a view of music so archaic and limited that we have seen wider scope theorised and practiced for around a century.
In a philosopical view, the music stopped doing progress at around year 1750 .

Koeitje

Major Contributor

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you might have excluded tons of music without realizing. Studio albums are rarely live as you describe. Maybe the "scratch track" then it's off to the booth to redo vocals, overdub guitars, bass, etc.
Steak tartare, anyone?
Yes, tracks have been independently laid since multi-track recorders were first used. It was common in the 70's and probably earlier to lay a "backing track" to which other musicians would play when laying their tracks. Sometimes, the tape multitrack masters were transported to different studios for the other musicians.

But they didn't play to a computer-generated click track. They played to a backing track laid down by someone--the drummer plus someone that laid down chords. The backing track might not have even been used in the final mix.

Rick Wakeman tells a story of working with Ramon Remedios (opera singer) on several of his albums, and he provided a backing track for him to use. He often simplified the meter on the backing track so that Mr. Remedios could follow it more clealy--Wakeman said that the complex meters of prog rock were not always easy to follow for the singer.

He also tells the story of laying down the backing tracks on organ for three of the tunes on Criminal Record, and then sending that to Chris Squire, Alan White, and Steve Howe to add their parts. He expressed disappointment that he was unable to re-record his own tracks after he heard what they had done. (In my opinion, he's wrong--that is for me his best solo instrumental album considering the range of sounds he captured.) That was in the middle 70's during his first hiatus from Yes, so loooong before digital click tracks.

Of course, even when those groups used those techniques to create recordings, they still performed those works live and had to bring the precision expected by the audience (which, of course, varied).

I've played to click tracks, and found it nearly impossible to follow changes in tempo without having to fully memorize it. I'm accustomed to conductors whose time is communicated visually (and continuously rather than in pulses), or to chamber groups who communicate musically to each other to build a consensus on tempo changes. Our large ensemble once performed Rhapsody in Blue to a programmable grand piano that had been programmed with the player roll created by George Gershwin is own self, and the conductor was conducting to a click track in an earpiece. He is a top professional musician--retired from a long career in a premiere service band--and it just about drove him batty.

But what I hear in pop music seems to me more computer-generated than human. Partly that is an effect, and partly it is stuff they do to make people who are sufficiently pretty for music videos also be sufficiently in tune and in time for the recording. That's not all of it, of course, and that is also nothing particularly new. But I've never liked pop music of that type all that much, so I can't say that it's getting worse. I do miss the period of the 70's when groups were given the scope to experiment on recordings--they lacked that scope before that time and, it would seem, since. (I'm not talking about independently produced stuff that one never hears without being led to it--but that's a whole other topic.)

Rick "video killed the radio star" Denney

storing

Forum Donor
1. No melodies.
2. Autotune If there are melodies.
3. Klicktrack eliminating the ”pace” and ”groove” factor in the music.
Probably beating a dead horse here, but you're merely describing most pop music, right?

Jds81

Yes, tracks have been independently laid since multi-track recorders were first used. It was common in the 70's and probably earlier to lay a "backing track" to which other musicians would play when laying their tracks. Sometimes, the tape multitrack masters were transported to different studios for the other musicians.

But they didn't play to a computer-generated click track. They played to a backing track laid down by someone--the drummer plus someone that laid down chords. The backing track might not have even been used in the final mix.

Rick Wakeman tells a story of working with Ramon Remedios (opera singer) on several of his albums, and he provided a backing track for him to use. He often simplified the meter on the backing track so that Mr. Remedios could follow it more clealy--Wakeman said that the complex meters of prog rock were not always easy to follow for the singer.

He also tells the story of laying down the backing tracks on organ for three of the tunes on Criminal Record, and then sending that to Chris Squire, Alan White, and Steve Howe to add their parts. He expressed disappointment that he was unable to re-record his own tracks after he heard what they had done. (In my opinion, he's wrong--that is for me his best solo instrumental album considering the range of sounds he captured.) That was in the middle 70's during his first hiatus from Yes, so loooong before digital click tracks.

Of course, even when those groups used those techniques to create recordings, they still performed those works live and had to bring the precision expected by the audience (which, of course, varied).

I've played to click tracks, and found it nearly impossible to follow changes in tempo without having to fully memorize it. I'm accustomed to conductors whose time is communicated visually (and continuously rather than in pulses), or to chamber groups who communicate musically to each other to build a consensus on tempo changes. Our large ensemble once performed Rhapsody in Blue to a programmable grand piano that had been programmed with the player roll created by George Gershwin is own self, and the conductor was conducting to a click track in an earpiece. He is a top professional musician--retired from a long career in a premiere service band--and it just about drove him batty.

But what I hear in pop music seems to me more computer-generated than human. Partly that is an effect, and partly it is stuff they do to make people who are sufficiently pretty for music videos also be sufficiently in tune and in time for the recording. That's not all of it, of course, and that is also nothing particularly new. But I've never liked pop music of that type all that much, so I can't say that it's getting worse. I do miss the period of the 70's when groups were given the scope to experiment on recordings--they lacked that scope before that time and, it would seem, since. (I'm not talking about independently produced stuff that one never hears without being led to it--but that's a whole other topic.)

Rick "video killed the radio star" Denney
Right on Rick,
I agree this is likely how most albums were recorded up to a point. It's how things worked when I did some of this stuff for fun in my teens and twenties, even if we had thr option to be quantized.
Now, did the drummer have a click track in their ear sometimes in days past, and today? I dunno.
Electronic music has changed all genres. Whether that kills music or not, I say no, some say yes. I don't prefer either style, but each takes talent to make it sound right. Bad beats from a drummer or a computer are unlistenable to me.
I can't play to a click track either. Had to buy Reason software to record my own demos, since I cannot play drums for squat.

Top Bottom