• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Built-in Dirac Live not working with upmixing or other modes

keks8430

Hi,

Is DL supposed to work with DTS Neural:X turned on?
The Onkyo NR7100 manual lists certain limitations of decodings with DL, but I found none for DTS Neural:X.

The test sound is a 2-channel pink noise, same for both fronts.

Played in Stereo mode, the target curve is clearly visible, without my room's mode peak +20dB@42Hz.
When switched to DTS Neural:X, the decoder correctly figures out that both channels are carrying the same signal and redirects it to the center speaker. But now my target curve is gone and the mode peak reappears.

So, either DTS Neural:X turns off DL, or the upmixed signal is not processed by DL.
Either way they do not seem to work together.
Just confirmed that (for a 2-channel signal) only Stereo uses DL, all other modes - including Allch Stereo - turn DL off.

Bug or missing feature?

Last edited:
OP
K

keks8430

As confirmed by Onkyo, the actual firmware contains a bug in the bass management. If there is no subwoofer, the bass redirected to the fronts is not DL corrected.

Since the fix so far has not made it into into an official update, I am sharing the link to the bass management fix Onkyo sent me.
Use at your own risk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18HbnGjpK1AS4oWlEeUzIvCDvrey-pmJ7/view?usp=drive_web

Please follow the steps below:

Preparation:

Unzip the file and save all its contents to the root folder of a USB drive.

Note: If there are other files on the USB drive, please delete them.

Insert the USB drive into the USB port of the TX-NR7100.

Procedure:

1. Press the ON/STANDBY button to power on the TX-NR7100.

2. Switch to the USB input and ensure the USB drive is recognized.

3. Press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel while simultaneously pressing the NET button.

4. The display will show "Update via NET."

5. Use the TUNING UP/DOWN buttons on the front panel to switch to the "Update via USB" display.

6. Press the ENTER button on the front panel to start the update via USB.

7. Please wait without turning off the power until the "Complete" message is displayed.

8. Once "Complete" is shown, the update is finished.

OP
K

keks8430

As confirmed by Onkyo, the actual firmware contains a bug in the bass management. If there is no subwoofer, the bass redirected to the fronts is not DL corrected.

Since the fix so far has not made it into into an official update, I am sharing the link to the bass management fix Onkyo sent me.

There is now a firmware update available via NET, but no information yet about what features or bugs are addressed.
https://assets.onkyo-av.com/product...TX-NR7100_TX-RZ50_04_23-2024.pdf?v=1713922940
"Minor bug fixes and stability improvements."
Not mentioning the bug in the bass management.

Top Bottom