• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Waxwing Thread

312elements

Just received my Waxwing and am hoping that others who are or will be using Waxwings will share their experiences and expertise herein.
I have high hopes for it.
I googled and it was hard to find. For others like me who are clueless it’s a Parks audio DSP phono pre.

GPJ

I still have 2 Budgies and a Puffin digital and perfectly happy with them. Will be interesting to see if the Waxwing appears for review here. I have no plans to obtain one at this point.

ctbarker32

I got one of the first twenty made. Like the Puffin, it is a groundbreaking product for the Phono world. As new firmware features are developed it will transform phono listening in ways no pure analog phono preamp can muster. In some ways it is aanobvious product evolution. I am shocked that no other phono preamp maker has tried to copy this approach.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I have serial number 16 and am quite happy with it. The app interface is just about a must for this type of device. Currently using the optical output into my Schiit Modius. No detectable hum with MC - gain set for 60, or MM - gain set for 38. Monitoring the ADC input levels is very handy when matching gain to the cartridge in use. This allows you know when you are getting close to overdriving the ADC and thereby avoiding that situation. Rather versatile!

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

I got one of the first twenty made. Like the Puffin, it is a groundbreaking product for the Phono world. As new firmware features are developed it will transform phono listening in ways no pure analog phono preamp can muster. In some ways it is aanobvious product evolution. I am shocked that no other phono preamp maker has tried to copy this approach.
From what I can tell, a couple improvements include, but are not limited to, an improved case design and not having to crack the case open for upgrades.

Puoskari

I just received mine and it's honestly amazing. I recently transferred from passive speakers to active, which caused me to ditch my old Mitsubishi amp in favor of smsl DO100 dac. The issue is: it had no analog input for my LP player!

There's almost no economical way to get the player working without sacrificing setup simplicity (I want to have multiple digital inputs). This way I can switch between a network streamer, phono and bluetooth seamlessly using the budget friendly DO100.

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0337.jpeg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a wax job to me.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have 2 Budgies and a Puffin digital and perfectly happy with them. Will be interesting to see if the Waxwing appears for review here. I have no plans to obtain one at this point.

I was thinking the same - but starting to reconsider. Reason is Puffin needs to be exposed, whereas Waxwing can be hidden. The cables sticking out the top of Puffin do present an aesthetic challenge. And obviously with BT control there's absolutely no need to touch it for any reason once everything's plugged in. So I'm seriously thinking about selling my coax-out Puffin and buying a Waxwing.

GPJ

The one thing I despise in a phono stage is mains hum. My Hagerman Cornet MM and Trumpet MC do not have any. This Waxwing is dead silent as it should be using the optical into a D30 Pro. It is so cool to get comfy in a chair, grab my 10 inch Android tablet, and mess around with all of the settings during playback. The Waxwing CAN run with the big dogs. I have a MP7B slated for mid March arrival. I will be happy if it too has zero mains noise.

Last edited:

GPJ

I was thinking the same - but starting to reconsider. Reason is Puffin needs to be exposed, whereas Waxwing can be hidden. The cables sticking out the top of Puffin do present an aesthetic challenge. And obviously with BT control there's absolutely no need to touch it for any reason once everything's plugged in. So I'm seriously thinking about selling my coax-out Puffin and buying a Waxwing.

What's funny is I sold off my 2 Budgies and Puffin last week with no intention of buying the Waxwing. But when I saw the price was $499 I went ahead and ordered. I thought for sure they were going to be a hundred more. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Top Bottom