• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Waxwing Thread

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not got around to ripping yet. You will need one of these to convert optical to USB.

I have one - have not tried it yet, but it is on my list of things to do. Sample rate outputs of the Waxwing are 24 bit at 48 KHZ or 96 KHZ. I use 24/96 into my Schiit and am completely satisfied by ear. I don't know which resolution for recording I'll use - obviously save some storage at 48 KHZ. For MP3 files - to use in the car - I use dbPoweramp to convert WAV to MP3 at 320 bitrate with great results.

Take some online ABX tests between red book resolution and hires or even MP3 320 and red book ... very few people finds a difference.

It seems that after one century Nyquist/Shannon are right and red book is all you need to capture audio signals ... and that psychoacoustics aspects taken in mp3 algorithm really works also.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is the purpose of this device to make vinyl LPs sound more like CDs? If so, I will consider getting one.

Only in the sense that it can reduce a good bit of the snap crackle pop inherent to the medium (if you turn that setting on), but otherwise I find my Puffin just makes for a very good Phono-Pre. I'd definitely get another of Shannon Parks products if I needed another one.

mmi

From my understanding the reason to rip at eg 24/96 would be more accurate processing like click removal. I’d be exporting to AAC redbook.

I am in the middle of trying to figure out rips. I am set on using Acon Digital Acoustica Standard for processing, it’s click and crackle removal is literally magical to my ears especially considering the price.

The hurdle I have run into is I bought a Behringer UMC 202HD for this, and at line level my test rips are clipping pretty heavily. I could use the pad buttons but the input gain knobs are extremely sensitive and impossible to tell if they are aligned.

I was looking to get a slightly better interface but I’d prefer to spend the money on the Waxwing if it work well, and then I could ditch both the interface and my NAD PP2e phono stage.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Take some online ABX tests between red book resolution and hires or even MP3 320 and red book ... very few people finds a difference.

It seems that after one century Nyquist/Shannon are right and red book is all you need to capture audio signals ... and that psychoacoustics aspects taken in mp3 algorithm really works also.

Please do not assume that I am saying 96 KHZ is needed, because I did not say that. I only use the 96 KHZ into the Schiit Modius because it is available and there are no storage penalties to doing it. When it comes to actual file storage, I will reassess which sample rate to use. I am under no illusions as to what sample rates are sufficient. After all, I have been enjoying Red Book for a long time without complaint - not counting shiitty mastering jobs on some recordings.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
From my understanding the reason to rip at eg 24/96 would be more accurate processing like click removal. I’d be exporting to AAC redbook.

I am in the middle of trying to figure out rips. I am set on using Acon Digital Acoustica Standard for processing, it’s click and crackle removal is literally magical to my ears especially considering the price.

The hurdle I have run into is I bought a Behringer UMC 202HD for this, and at line level my test rips are clipping pretty heavily. I could use the pad buttons but the input gain knobs are extremely sensitive and impossible to tell if they are aligned.

I was looking to get a slightly better interface but I’d prefer to spend the money on the Waxwing if it work well, and then I could ditch both the interface and my NAD PP2e phono stage.

I don't think you will have any clipping issues with the Waxwing. The ADC input readings gives peak and average readings. It remembers these numbers and updates them as they change until you reset them. In practical terms, you can see the highest peak level since your last reset. Because you can fine tune your gain in 1 db increments, you can completely avoid clipping. At current gains I set, the ADC peak inputs run around -14 db for the average record. This gives me plenty of wiggle room and levels can be normalized later after ripping if needed.

Reactions: mmi

mmi

At current gains I set, the ADC peak inputs run around -14 db for the average record.

Thanks for the info! Sorry for getting off topic but maybe you could help me.

Line is slightly too hot for whatever reason. There are pad buttons on the inputs, if I engage them this drops the inputs to around -20dB average with -16dB peaks. With nothing playing input registers about -86dB. If I record at this level and normalise everything sounds great to me.

I am confused by a few things however. Firstly, is normalising benign in that nothing is lost or gained just kind of scaled? Secondly, wouldn’t it be better to record closer 0dB to avoid the noise floor? Without understanding this well enough the recordings at -20dB just look and sound so soft before changing their volume.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks for the info! Sorry for getting off topic but maybe you could help me.

Line is slightly too hot for whatever reason. There are pad buttons on the inputs, if I engage them this drops the inputs to around -20dB average with -16dB peaks. With nothing playing input registers about -86dB. If I record at this level and normalise everything sounds great to me.

I am confused by a few things however. Firstly, is normalising benign in that nothing is lost or gained just kind of scaled? Secondly, wouldn’t it be better to record closer 0dB to avoid the noise floor? Without understanding this well enough the recordings at -20dB just look and sound so soft before changing their volume.
My understanding is ADC’s behave a bit differently than reel to reels and the cassettes decks I used to record LP’s to for car playback. If you exceed 0 db on tape you can go a bit higher without audible distortion. On the other hand, the ADC is not going to react well to exceeding 0 db. So, best to stay away from 0 db and normalize if you need it louder without cranking the volume control. I wouldn’t expect normalizing the recording to make any difference as long as you keep the dynamic range the same. Don’t compress or expand during normalizing and all you should get is an initial volume difference.

Reactions: mmi
Top Bottom