• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 80s pop song?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of great stuff, thanks to all for omitting the hair metal. This thread is a giant time suck!

This. Still relevant 40 years later...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
How about...

Samantha Fox, Touch Me

...And as somebody mentioned the Divinyls earlier... We can't leave out I Touch Myself:

poxymoron

80's music was much maligned in the 90's and maybe a bit later but there really are so many cracking tunes from that era. Can't disagree with too many of what you guys posted. I'll have a listen over the weekend to the ones I'm not familiar with.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
80's music was much maligned in the 90's and maybe a bit later but there really are so many cracking tunes from that era. Can't disagree with too many of what you guys posted. I'll have a listen over the weekend to the ones I'm not familiar with.
I think the overt Pop-candy and dated synth sounds of so much of the music ran afoul after a little bit. You really see the burgeoning Indy/College music scene start to make a big point of departure from the rest of 80's Pop.
Production values (fortunately) changed for the better in many cases. Bands started emoting more in other cases, or dealing with less ridiculous subject matter for weightier topics sometimes.

I think a lot of folk were glad to be away from the general vibe for a bit and it was a much needed break in order to allow many of us to look back and remember that it wasn't all bad. A lot was... :p ...but not all. ;)

October 3, 1988. Maybe not quintessential but still complaining about the egocentrism of the 80's.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A very good Compilation
1677103591769.jpeg

Title Artist(s)
-=-=- -=-=-=-=-
I Wanna Be Sedated The Ramones
What I Like About You The Romantics
Lucky Number Lene Lovich
Never Say Never Romeo Void