• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 80s pop song?

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
^^^ I'm OK with that. ;)

You know, I don't think I've seen this yet...
Sure strikes me as very much of its time (plus, I like this one).

In those days, despite being ensconced in Baltimore, before and after our nuptials, Mrs. H and I listened mostly to a pop radio station located just outside of Washington DC (Morningside, MD) called WPGC-FM (for "Prince George's County" MD). Their playlist(s) were chockablock with many of the tunes that have been disinterred for this thread ;)
I remember a version of Safety Dance with lyrics adapted for (ahem) "The Washington Football Team" one playoff season, 'way back when, that was played on WPGC.
Excellent choice for 80s pop song but rapacious 80s egocentric philistine consumerism this is not. Quite the opposite. An interesting exception because in the songs so far we've had angry satirical responses to 80s culture but this song is a compassionate celebration of the reliance of ordinary human values in the face rapacious egocentric philistine consumerism. In that it made me think of Tubthumping. We don't often find these values so clearly stated in pop music.

Top Bottom