• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Problem with Many Center Channel Speakers (by Erin)

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In light of this video I am torn between Kef Q650C and SVS Ultra Center. Both of them costs the same (799+tax). I couldn’t find any review comparing these. Can someone help me?
That might get more answers, er OPINIONS ha ha in a separate thread. Both seem well designed. KEF says theirs is "2.5 way"-I don't know what the hell that means. I had assumed the sides were woofers and the center was a mid but their description would seem to imply the center is an actual woofer, which is not advantageous because more cone motion modulates the tweeter response. I'd think of the KEF as a rather more laid back kind of design and SVS as more "rock and roll, crank it up" BUT that's an engineering impression, I've not heard those exact models. What is the rest of your system out of curiosity?

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Iarwa1N
Do not hesitate: buy the Kef because it is a coaxial speaker, 3 ways.
The sound placement for the voices are optimal.
I am buying only coaxial speakers for the center channel. I got a Kef and a Jamo and the sound is amazing for the voices.
The Jamo is a 3 way design and sound more defined.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
In light of this video I am torn between Kef Q650C and SVS Ultra Center. Both of them costs the same (799+tax). I couldn’t find any review comparing these. Can someone help me?
Either speaker you are looking at is going to blow you away. These are both very powerful speakers that with the correct amplification can play very loud in a large room. The big center channels will play every bit as well and as loud as people's L/R mains. Having had the fun of playing (testing?) with speakers over the years, I was astounded at how good the centers are for volume and filling an entire room just by themselves. They are not weak sisters to the mains. So, you are looking at serious center channels that should last a lifetime. Enjoy!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
buy the Kef because it is a coaxial speaker, 3 ways.
Well, no. KEF says it is "2.5 way"-which looking at the physical layout, I find confusing. I suppose I should email them and ask which drivers are doing what. (None of this means it is a bad choice however).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, no. KEF says it is "2.5 way"-which looking at the physical layout, I find confusing. I suppose I should email them and ask which drivers are doing what. (None of this means it is a bad choice however).
One of the two side drivers is a normal woofer and the other is just a passive membrane, the middle Uni-Q plays parallel (not high-passed) to them.

jsilvela

In the specs on the KEF you can see there is only one crossover frequency, 2.5kHz. A true 3 channel would have two.
I guess that the "second" woofer being passive, as pointed by thewas, helps reduce the troublesome W-to-W lateral interference patterns.

norman bates

Forum Donor
Hmmmm.

A passive radiator is not a 2.5 way.

The 2nd woofer with an inductor (usually) so it comes in near baffle step, that is a 2.5 way.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"In the specs on the KEF you can see there is only one crossover frequency, 2.5kHz"
That is a bad point i did not notice.
Amir needs to measure them to tell if the "2.5 way" sound properly for a center channel.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the middle Uni-Q plays parallel (not high-passed)
I guess that the "second" woofer being passive, as pointed by thewas, helps reduce the troublesome W-to-W lateral interference patterns.
the Uni-Q isn't highpassed
That is a bad point i did not notice.
I agree. KEF absolutely have excellent engineers, but I would want the Uni-Q highpassed to reduce tweeter response modulation. And then with only one active woofer the lateral interference patterns would be asymmetric which does not seem wonderful either. Plus I'd rather have TWO active woofers for more woofer area. Weird. I'd love someone to interview their chief engineer about this...

Beave

Major Contributor
I agree. KEF absolutely have excellent engineers, but I would want the Uni-Q highpassed to reduce tweeter response modulation. And then with only one active woofer the lateral interference patterns would be asymmetric which does not seem wonderful either. Plus I'd rather have TWO active woofers for more woofer area. Weird. I'd love someone to interview their chief engineer about this...

Then you'd want to skip the Q series center speakers and go for the more expensive R series center speakers - just like KEF's business model wants.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, crossover components for low frequencies are usually expensive so preferably not used in the entry low cost series.
Also using the UNI-Q as a woofer too saves the costs of another active woofer instead, its a good compromise to keep the price down.

Top Bottom