• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

steve59

Major Contributor
he takes to long to get to his point, i gave up pretty quick

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Darko had vicoustic in to change his entire room with 10k of acoustic treatment. I wonder what he thinks of it. And how it maybe will change his subjective (and partly sponsored) reviewing of equipment.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Any reactions?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Darko had vicoustic in to change his entire room with 10k of acoustic treatment. I wonder what he thinks of it. And how it maybe will change his subjective (and partly sponsored) reviewing of equipment.

This shouldn't change anything imo. As his business model relies on repeating the marketing material of the manufacturer for consistent income.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
This shouldn't change anything imo. As his business model relies on repeating the marketing material of the manufacturer for consistent income.
Agreed, but I hope his 200k+ youtube followers will learn something about acoustics. Strange that vicoustic didn’t start with an elobrate explanation of their products and why they put the different diffusers and absorbers at a certain place in the room.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, but I hope his 200k+ youtube followers will learn something about acoustics. Strange that vicoustic didn’t start with an elobrate explanation of their products and why they put the different diffusers and absorbers at a certain place in the room.
This is actually something i wondered as well.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

So exactly like nearly all YouTube reviewer's that depend on free review samples and donations (hardware or give away equipment etc) by the manufacturer.

markus

It's because the masses as well as real audiophools aren't interested in "science". They are interested in "science fiction" at best. It's largely just cargo cult. It's an activity and interest related to technical devices and science without any desire to rationally understand the "magic".

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's entertainment, with high production value.

People with disposable income buy expensive gear with limited utility for their leisure pursuits. Just go to a golf course and do a cost/benefit analysis on a bag of golf clubs over scorecard for an illustration.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Next episode is online:

Darko describes the effect of room treatment:
  • High frequency reverb is minimized
  • Voices have a richer tonality
  • Soundstage depth has improved
  • Stereo imaging
Half of the basstraps are not installed yet.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use headphones we have reached a point where you can spend up to a couple of hundred dollars on IEMs or headphones and use with any tablet or smartphone and enjoy excellent audio quality. If it is just about sound quality then it really has been commoditised. Speakers cost more but even then you don't need to spend that much.

DanielT

Major Contributor
But he's right when he says that cables can make a difference. But probably not as he sees it. It has to do with appearance. How cables, mainly speaker cables, fit into the furniture in, for example, the living room, if they can be hidden away and so on.:)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Next episode is online:

Darko describes the effect of room treatment:
  • High frequency reverb is minimized
  • Voices have a richer tonality
  • Soundstage depth has improved
  • Stereo imaging
Half of the basstraps are not installed yet.
I do love how most of the equipment reviewed already maximises most of these qualities, yet here we are, even wider image and depth and even more tone!

DanielT

Major Contributor

What ?! ... Now I have not watched the video but 10k for some wooden blocks? You can fix it yourself with a wooden board, glue and some wooden blocks.:)

See attached picture. Casting paper pipes of cardboard. Around $ 4 a piece. Fill them with sand, paint them, glue them on the wooden board and then up on the wall.:)

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-01_09-32-11 (2).png
    shot_2021-12-01_09-32-11 (2).png
    313.1 KB · Views: 68

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do love how most of the equipment reviewed already maximises most of these qualities, yet here we are, even wider image and depth and even more tone!
At least for once he is talking about something that actually does impact sound quality.

I still don't understand why he insists on using dinky little speakers when he has the space to deploy something more serious. Maybe there is a video I haven't seen where he explains that.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At least for once he is talking about something that actually does impact sound quality.

I still don't understand why he insists on using dinky little speakers when he has the space to deploy something more serious. Maybe there is a video I haven't seen where he explains that.
True. Which is why the whole "system" of reviewers is flawed. If everything has an impact (as they would have us believe) how do we know where the real impact is, if anywhere?

(The answer is, of course, the science and the measurements)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Bigger speakers with greater extension risk upsetting the room more? The extra bass depth and 'weight' could upset the perception of 'deeeeetail' in the upper registers I suspect. I know one or two people who seem 'allergic' to bass and love smaller boxes.

Top Bottom