• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are talking closed back?

Most underrated - Monoprice 8323. $24 on Amazon. (but you will need HM5 earpads to really enjoy them)
Most overrated Beats by Dre, hands down. They own almost 80% of the market.

Side notes:
Airpods - nightmare, not last on battery, battery degrades very fast, weak, sound lacks any body. All that goodness for measly 144.

Middle ground:
AKG K550/1/2/3
AudioTechnica M40x
StatusAudio CB-1

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting thread.
For a few years now I have gone to the HiFi Wigwam show, as have several other forum members.
The original idea was for enthusiasts to have an opportunity to "show off" a system they like for interest's sake.
No commercial companies were allowed.
The systems varied enormously and early on massive 5 way horns with DSP active crossovers and multiple amplifiers of different types, vintage systems and lots of DIY stuff.
I enjoy it enormously, though it has changed since the forum changed hands.
Two things stand out, firstly huge enthusiasm and secondly a -huge- variation in enthusiast's view of what constitutes a good sound.
People's opinions in this thread are similar.
Have fun but one person's idea of what is "good" isn't absolute, obviously.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have fun but one person's idea of what is "good" isn't absolute, obviously.

Indeed. Which is why subjective "reviews" are pretty worthless.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think a subjective review are always worthless, provided you understand the preferences of the reviewer. I'm an objectivist and like measurement, but equally I do value certain subjective opinions in cases where I feel the reviewer shares my own preferences. That said, typical hifi subjective reviews can be ridiculous.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think a subjective review are always worthless, provided you understand the preferences of the reviewer. I'm an objectivist and like measurement, but equally I do value certain subjective opinions in cases where I feel the reviewer shares my own preferences. That said, typical hifi subjective reviews can be ridiculous.

I stand by what I wrote. Even if you like the preferences of a reviewer, his (pretty much never her) preferences are affected by expectation bias, poor auditive memory, and especially pressure from editor/advertisers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One person's review, but what if you read here 10 times more or less the same about one certain model? Then you probably start thinking about .........

Groupthink.

Damian

Regarding the overrated... Is only a matter of time since some Chinese company put a stop to the madness of 1000 usd+ flagships that do 5% better. Sennheiser fixing the HD800 upping the price is an example. Guitars were similar before, now for 400 usd you can get something really good, then is mostly about style, exotic woods, paying for something more unique, etc. I couldn't believe how bad the quality was on the hifiman HE1000 V1, then V2 and HE following with price hike.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I know plenty of people who can hear a difference when I let them hear a flagship HP and a cheap but good sounding HP.
When I mention prices all of them are shocked at the differences and find the expensive one over rated.
When an audio enthusiast hears them they often don't find it overrated. Just expensive and often find the good sounding cheapy underrated.
It's in the eyes of the beholder.
Sometimes someone's underrated turns out to be a gem. In most cases, for me, it just turns out to be crap afterall but can see why some may like and value it.

Anmol

Forum Donor
I know plenty of people who can hear a difference when I let them hear a flagship HP and a cheap but good sounding HP.
When I mention prices all of them are shocked at the differences and find the expensive one over rated.
When an audio enthusiast hears them they often don't find it overrated. Just expensive and often find the good sounding cheapy underrated.
It's in the eyes of the beholder.
Sometimes someone's underrated turns out to be a gem. In most cases, for me, it just turns out to be crap afterall but can see why some may like and value it.
A beyerdynamic t1 is selling for like $700 on amazon. A HD800 sells for more than double. Try akg 701 Austrian edition with about 200 hours and comes close to hd 800 soundstage and is very accurate. I have listened to all 3 - subjectively and analytically t1 is a overall better offering. Even within so called expensive range there are outstanding offerings and some just expensive without added benefit.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't believe how bad the quality was on the hifiman HE1000 V1, then V2 and HE following with price hike.
I have only listened to them once and the Verum 1 had more accurate timbre on piano. I found the difference in price marked, but only found out after listening, I make sure I don't know prices before listening to stuff.
The thing is, whilst I expect most people will hear the differences people may well not prefer the same thing, and if something is much more expensive the expectation spread by reviews is that it is better.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Underrated: KEF Space One (original wired version, haven't heard the latest model) Perhaps completely unrated is more accurate, as I haven't seen measurements or any review anywhere haha! (list price too high, but I paid only $99 on sale at newegg)

Rated just right: Sennheiser HD 58X ($150 and worth every penny and more)

Overrated: NAD Viso HP50 (list price too high, I paid $170 which I think is also too high, but maybe I'm just cheap, or my pair may be meh)

Compared to the KEF, the NAD have flabbier bass, that doesn't extend as deep, and there is a dip around 1k to 3k that profoundly impacts (in a bad way!) operatic soprano voices where the singer uses formant tuning to produce high second harmonics on high notes from high B and up. It probably goes unnoticed by most listeners because they don't listen to the small group of singers this applies to, such as Leontyne Price and Kathleen Battle, who almost sounds like a different person, the change is so profound on her high notes. (It can also be heard in how it weakens Mariah Carey's whistle notes, which some detractors might consider a benefit, I suppose lol. I happen to like her haha!) I did find that using some EQ, I was able to correct that dip pretty well. Oh, they also don't have the same dynamics as the KEF, but I think only listeners of high DR classical music will really notice or care. Some instruments do sound really nice on them, although I wonder if it's accurate.

The KEF have deeper bass, the bass is tighter, it doesn't muddy other frequencies the way the NAD sometimes does, the midrange and treble seem flatter (at least as good subjectively to my ears as my Sennheiser HD 58X). The Senns aren't as suitable for all genres as the KEF, mostly due to the bass. The KEF are fine with rock, metal, opera, baroque, chamber, choral, etc. The KEF are not as comfortable as the Senns, they are "over ear" but might be semi-on-ear for listeners with larger ears. I worry a bit about the wiring, as one pair of my KEF M400s have developed an iffy left side that cuts out occasionally if I move my head, and I've read a few similar user reports from others on that model. I like the way the Senns are wired much better. KEF needs to put their drivers in headphones with a better form factor, and with robust and better thought out wiring. Best to avoid running through the headband at all, and copy Senn on that, I think. The M400 and M500 are on-ear, which isn't really the best thing to me, and even the Space One is still a bit too small. If they'd put more thought into some areas they'd have a clear winner on their hands, I think. The Space One has active noise cancelling, by the way, and it doesn't ruin the music, but I leave it off anyway. I generally choose the Senns over the KEFs for most music, just due to long-term comfort (I did bend the headband on mine for a looser fit). In general, I'd still rather use loudspeakers due to less compromises, but I've done a lot of headphone listening in the past year.

Obviously, all of the above is just my own opinion, with my own musical tastes and preferences, and my specific ear shape and possible hearing defects. I'm getting a bit on in years, but I can still hear up to 15k quite well (not as well in the right ear, but that might be due to wax buildup and/or fluid in the inner ear--I have a few appointments in the next couple of weeks that will hopefully sort it all out!). I was very careful to always wear double hearing protection in my Navy years (Nuclear machinist's mate in the noisy reactor room on a carrier haha), and when doing anything around guns or loud equipment as I value my music too much to want to go deaf. Better dead than deaf for me, I couldn't live without my music.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A beyerdynamic t1 is selling for like $700 on amazon. A HD800 sells for more than double. Try akg 701 Austrian edition with about 200 hours and comes close to hd 800 soundstage and is very accurate. I have listened to all 3 - subjectively and analytically t1 is a overall better offering. Even within so called expensive range there are outstanding offerings and some just expensive without added benefit.
I tried all 3 and respectfully disagree based on measurements, preference and long term listening experience.

Anmol

Forum Donor
I tried all 3 and respectfully disagree based on measurements, preference and long term listening experience.
Sure. Fyi I was merely pointing out a value proposition in expensive headphones via above example. I wouldn't pay double for something with relatively minor benefit. I am not entirely sure what you disagree with but lets drop it.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that headphones are a good example of the old adage that it is sensible to spend a bit more than the real cheap stuff but that you don't have to spend a lot to get good performance. Some of the lower cost Audio Technica, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sony etc models are not SOTA or made from luxury materials but they do offer solid performance for a modest cost.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I never found a way for the Etymotic to fit my ears to get good sound. So I think in-ears may not be for everyone.

Have you tried custom molds? I can wear my ER4SR with molds for hours. Any IEM without molds about 30 minutes tops before my ear canals need a break.

Purpletrees

They should be a extra to objective review, Too many let there biases cloud everything or be stupid. Like so many giving Etymotic knocks for not being bassy/V shaped or pretending that they can hear the XR's 0.7 - 1% when that's at 90db.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Most Underrated:
JBL Everest 110.

I picked up the white ones for <$60 on Amazon last week. I had a little trouble fitting them (had to remove the wings entirely. Bose QC20 wings fit me like a glove, though), but once fitted, they sound very neutral.

JBL advertises them as having "JBL Pro Audio Sound", so maybe they are targeting Harman curves closely. I also tried the non Everest earbuds, with "JBL Sound", but they weren't as neutral as these. I use Oratory's EQ settings for like 5 different headphones to bring them to Harman targets, and these earbuds sound like the target without any EQ.

Maybe I should buy a second one...

sceune

Overrated: Beyerdynamic in general (sorry!). My DT 880 sounds lifeless compared to the similarly priced Focal Listen. But they are very comfortable.

Not necessarily underrated but often misunderstood: Neumann NDH 20.

Top Bottom