• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OW test is only about tonal balance differences (which are pretty big and can be emulated with a reasonable accuracy.
That test cannot simulate the headphones exactly.
For instance the distortion characteristics differ a LOT as well as resonances, comfort, the way headphones react to skin, seal issues and other aspects.
So the preference shown in that research is about tonal balance only.
I have EQ'ed a lot of headphones to have a similar tonal balance but can still hear differences between them.

That is a probability and that is also why I asked if the method was validated using 2-3 other headphones as the main headphone (ideally those having top, mid and lowest rank when using the K712 as main). One would then adjust for some of the errors in the method.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you want good wireless noise cancelling headphones then the Bose QC35 II and Sony 1000XM3 are pretty much the best there is. Although the Microsoft Surface Pro headphones are remarkably good for a first effort.

CuteStudio

I tried a bunch of headphones in John Lewis a little while back, and then again a bit later.
The only decent ones I found were some expensive B&O ones and Bose QC15. Later I tried the Sony 1000s everyone was raving about and thought they were awful. Beats sucked, all the rest sounded small, coloured, strangled.

I bought the QC15 and they've been really good. The later QC25 messed up the bass IMO but the QC35 is back on form.
The reason I bought the Bose over the B&O was that the music simply did sound better with a lot of the background noise removed!

THW

Forum Donor
Overrated: headphones: hd800(not s).

one of the most hilarious things audiophiles do to try to “fix” the HD 800 is to use tube amps (instead of using the obvious solution that is EQ) and also go into full denial mode about how the HD 800 is “very picky” with source equipment

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am very surprised to hear the Bose QC series as anything but muddled.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Overrated : Senn HD650, Shure SRH1840, Audeze ELopen
Underrated : Senn PX100ii, HD600, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Byerdynamic DT990.
No opinion yet on the AKG K812, still trying to familiarize with sound-signature.

OP
Y

yuki980e

I heard that too. So at some point majority of iems are tuned by him. The reason that jh won for the longest time was because it's tuning is equivalently boosting bass and treble. Most people like this. Accurate er4 doesn't have this, in contrast it has extra energy around 1.5khz than neutral making it harder to accept. If there's 1-2db attenuation at that region it will sound much nicer.

The hotness there gives it a clarity i love which shows with metal/rock kinda like a Grado headphone. The only reason why its V shaped is because it would be bassy disaster the boosted treble hides it, but even then very high bass causes masking and too much for allot music. Not to mention who hyped it are same subjectivists who tout "musicality" or "fun" at the cost of the music, Because artists like Sunn O))) or Wilt sound gross on gear with +6db. The ER4 and other netural still preserve the bass but with quality over quantity, Since there still stuff in the mids/highs. lol

one of the most hilarious things audiophiles do to try to “fix” the HD 800 is to use tube amps (instead of using the obvious solution that is EQ) and also go into full denial mode about how the HD 800 is “very picky” with source equipment

They've always been ignorant on EQ fixing headphones, If it isn't tube amps its them going on how you should return it. I was hounded in a reviewers list thread at Head fi saying EQ could fix the ibassio new IEM's mids.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Take the following with a grain of salt (aging ears) ...

Overrated: Beats, AKG K271, K812
Underrated: Sennheiser HD800 (not the HD800s), Beyer DT990 pro

I own the AKG K271 and although it is not bad I no longer use it since I inherited a DT990 pro. The DT990 pro has a bit to much bass and its highs are a bit too smooth which OTOH is a nice match to my smartphone. Of course the AKG is a closed model and those have problems, but OTOH its FR is much more neutral than that of the Beyer DT770M which I had tried before.

Also I do not understand why so many people disagree with the HD800. Besides the 6 kHz peak (which I did not notice in the first place) it is stunningly open and neutral, and the deep bass is just right for me. Also I do not agree with those who say that it sounds bad if not matched to a very good amp. Even on my smartphone it sounds good. Of course it sounds better on the RME for example. I have auditioned very few expensive headphones besides the HD800 and none came close to the HD800 regarding neutral FR, and none at all regarding its openness. The AKG K271 K812 came close (back in 2014) but its mids were not as smooth and the price even higher.

EDIT: fixed the name of the AKG model

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the industrial design of the AKG K812 and really wanted to love its sound but just can't. Especially at its original SRP I'd expect it to be pretty much perfect, they really slashed the price a while ago (or dealers have been offering huge discounts) and even at the new lower price point I still think it is far too expensive for the sound quality on offer.
On the other hand I am very impressed with the AKG N90Q, the noise cancelling isn't as good as the Bose QC35 II or Sony 1000XM3 and the hard carry case is ridiculously big and heavy but they're lovely headphones. I wouldn't pay the SRP but you can find some pretty good deals on them.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Take the following with a grain of salt (aging ears) ...

Overrated: Beats, AKG K271, K812
Underrated: Sennheiser HD800 (not the HD800s), Beyer DT990 pro

I own the AKG K271 and although it is not bad I no longer use it since I inherited a DT990 pro. The DT990 pro has a bit to much bass and its highs are a bit too smooth which OTOH is a nice match to my smartphone. Of course the AKG is a closed model and those have problems, but OTOH its FR is much more neutral than that of the Beyer DT770M which I had tried before.

Also I do not understand why so many people disagree with the HD800. Besides the 6 kHz peak (which I did not notice in the first place) it is stunningly open and neutral, and the deep bass is just right for me. Also I do not agree with those who say that it sounds bad if not matched to a very good amp. Even on my smartphone it sounds good. Of course it sounds better on the RME for example. I have auditioned very few expensive headphones besides the HD800 and none came close to the HD800 regarding neutral FR, and none at all regarding its openness. The AKG K271 came close (back in 2012) but its mids were not as smooth and the price even higher.

The HD800 is highly fit and volume dependent if the amp used can cope with its large impedance swings.
If its played at close too and above 80dB, it will sound like its has decent bass. Below 70dB and it starts to sound bass shy for a lot of people.

Its cups don't fit everyone and often leads to leaks that make it sound bright and thin.

Some amps somehow don't cope very well with its impedance swings and somehow results in it sounding bright and thin too.

Nango

Major Contributor
The HD800 is highly fit and volume dependent if the amp used can cope with its large impedance swings.
If its played at close too and above 80dB, it will sound like its has decent bass. Below 70dB and it starts to sound bass shy for a lot of people.

Its cups don't fit everyone and often leads to leaks that make it sound bright and thin.

Some amps somehow don't cope very well with its impedance swings and somehow results in it sounding bright and thin too.

It does matter much more than with any other phone, if it is plugged at 0Ω Z-Out or at 120Ω or 43Ω.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800S via 0.2 Ohm and from 120 Ohm.

120-ohm.png

1dB difference.
For some low impedance headphones the differences can be more substantial.
Amps usually don't mind impedance swings. Amps may even like it as they have to deliver less current.

artismo

In Japan
Overrated IEM: Final anything, including the new B series and QDC in general: far too intimate and odd peaks in frequency response for B series, QDC with 3 BA or fewer has resolution issues, not until the Anole V6 or VX does that improve. Not even the new Fusion hybrid- when I auditioned them at PotaFes- they had a graininess in their treble and I suspect, without measurements, unevenness in the treble region. I’d also like to see a CSD of them with respect to resonance measurements.
Underrated: Unique Melody Maverick II Re
A well executed IEM with good vocal presence, a surprising holographic soundstage and spatial acuity, and tone and timbre are natural with respect to vocals and traditional instruments. As a previous poster said, the N40, and I think even the N5005, had unnatural timbre issues and brightness

As for HPs
Overrated: Sennheiser anything
They’re like the Nike’s or Starbucks community, mainstream now, but reliable performance and consistency. Generally, you can pick up any different Senn and expect them to perform the same within the same model
Underrated: Mr Speakers Aeon Flow, Oppo PM-3, older HPs that had agreeable frequency responses and measured well on CSDs, though the Oppo has a bit of grain in the treble. The Ananda, or Hifiman get shit on in general for their build quality and new direction with their headbands, prices are coming down for their Sundara and Ananda which make them more affordable criticle listening HPs, if one can handle the slightly hotter treble.
The LCD2Cs has far too many peaks in the treble region in some measurements, and to my ears, too much grain for tolerance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP
Y

yuki980e

Overrated IEM: Final anything, including the new B series

Never understood the hype from that company, The E5000 has the worst resolution/treble from a IEM its just so dark. There Single BA options were beaten by Etymotic's ER4 refresh and ER3 line up.

Top Bottom